Skylake-X (Core i9) - Lineup, Specifications and Reviews!

Wow, not even funny anymore:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_rog_strix_x299_e_gaming_review,25.html

The 7900x reached 110*C at 4.6 ghz ... yet the did a benchmark at 4.7 ghz. Not exactly a 24/7 overclock.

Oh and the 7900x consumed 423 watts in Cinebench. Rather amazing considering thr €350 Asus board only has an 8+4 pin cpu power setup.

At 1.3V. Kyle's review only had to use ~1.2 for that clockspeed and mentioned that going up to 1.25+ started to make things get a little crazy. I can't quite tell what Corsair water cooler they are using, but Kyle's might have been a bit better as far as controlling heat saturation. I think they would have gotten much better results if they went through OC'ing methodically like you should instead of just bumping it up to 1.3V by default and seeing what happened.

Worth noting also different motherboards, and these IMO will have a fair amount to contribute to the situation; the frequency to voltage looks iffy IMO.
And yeah not sure why Guru did not start at 1.25V.
The previous Broadwell-E started to hit a steep penalty at around 1.3V onwards as well (and at 1.25V one could use air cooled D15 just like I have seen with a couple of the reviews for the 7900X), so it is not as if they should be surprised if jumping straight to 1.3V.

Cheers

That's for damn sure! The 7900x is already running into thermal and power limits. No way are you going to get a higher all core by adding more cores on this platform.

Can't wait until the 2.0 Ghz 18 core!
What thinking along the same lines.

At 1.3V. Kyle's review only had to use ~1.2 for that clockspeed and mentioned that going up to 1.25+ started to make things get a little crazy. I can't quite tell what Corsair water cooler they are using, but Kyle's might have been a bit better as far as controlling heat saturation. I think they would have gotten much better results if they went through OC'ing methodically like you should instead of just bumping it up to 1.3V by default and seeing what happened.
Yeah, this is not a "set it and forget" platform. Also, it might every well have to do with the motherboard / UEFI they are using. These boards are NOT all created equally right now.

As for 1.3v vCore...that is a non-starter with me on this CPU, but that is not to say that their specific CPU required that much voltage. Anything over 1.25v in my experience has NOT been a good thing. That is one of the reasons I wrote the article that I did. I would highly suggest reading The Bottom Line if nothing else.

Just out of curiosity are you going to try delidding it to see if it helps?
Most likely, yes. As for immediately no. I only have one of these and seeing they are a $1000+, I need to have a "stock" CPU here for motherboard testing for the time being.

Yeah just was not sure you would since they are 1,000+ for one. Might be the most expensive key chain ever tho if it goes poorly.

Hardware Unboxed is claiming they burnt a pin on a 7800x @ 1.25v : 4.7ghz

Burnt pins tends to be when people incorrectly install the CPU/mobo one way or the other. Either directly or indirectly. Bent pins, moisture etc.

If you look at the picture, the neighbor pin is slightly burned too in the absolute edge at the next pin. That one has been bent for sure.

Could also be motherboard related; any idea which board they used as I find it a bit tricky to identify component list for Hardware Unboxed testing.
Remember how certain Asus boards could kill CPUs not too long ago.
Also they do like to use Prime95 like most and who knows how they had that setup as well, which combined with a board in previous sentence and how we know Skylake-X is working with Prime could be a recipe for pain and tears.
Needs quite a bit of care IMO messing around with a new platform and possibly with some board manufacturers or at least some of their models.

Anyway some of those settings that can be adjusted in motherboard it does seem one can put massive stress and power demand (beyond actually specc'd or expected) when combined with certain Prime versions/options.
I notice only a couple of publications mention about being aware of not wanting to destroy their Skylake-X CPUs when pushing overclocking (part of that motherboard options) with Prime95 options.
Cheers

Burnt pins tends to be when people incorrectly install the CPU/mobo one way or the other. Either directly or indirectly. Bent pins, moisture etc.

If you look at the picture, the neighbor pin is slightly burned too in the absolute edge at the next pin. That one has been bent for sure.

But he is a pro that can be reasonably expected to at the very least know how to put a CPU in the housing tray. It may be possible but it is a huge stretch at that.

Could also be motherboard related; any idea which board they used as I find it a bit tricky to identify component list for Hardware Unboxed testing.
Remember how certain Asus boards could kill CPUs not too long ago.
Also they do like to use Prime95 like most and who knows how they had that setup as well, which combined with a board in previous sentence and how we know Skylake-X is working with Prime could be a recipe for pain and tears.
Needs quite a bit of care IMO messing around with a new platform and possibly with some board manufacturers or at least some of their models.

Anyway some of those settings that can be adjusted in motherboard it does seem one can put massive stress and power demand (beyond actually specc'd or expected) when combined with certain Prime versions/options.
I notice only a couple of publications mention about being aware of not wanting to destroy their Skylake-X CPUs when pushing overclocking (part of that motherboard options) with Prime95 options.
Cheers

Well Ryzen is new, don't see this kind of thing with a new platform? The valid excuse would be a defect but the constant bandying for someone else to blame gets old fast.

Well Ryzen is new, don't see this kind of thing with a new platform? The valid excuse would be a defect but the constant bandying for someone else to blame gets old fast.

Oh boy. Look I like giving intel shit, but dude cmon. How about the memory issues for the first 1-2 months? Then there were the temperatures that were misread, lousy performance with SMT on etc. The only defense is that AMD launched a brand new architecture for the first time in years, while intel just rushed their shit out the door.

Meh, the biggest issue with SkylakeX is stock. You can't get it anywhere even if they offer it for free.

Good info, slightly higher than expected. The 18 core will need to be at least 2.3 ghz to have more multi core performance.
Still, the rapidly deterieting price/performance gains only seem logical for servers and not HEDT.

Needs more clock. My 7820x gets too close.

lhM2zTX.jpg

The point is also that some of those motherboard options do not even exist on Ryzen and can mean abuse with the CPU; some of the safeguards are not fully there with some motherboard options combined with the Prime95/AVX and the expanded stress options such as heat/power demand and behaving for now more like a power/thermal virus (yeah it does run hotter than previous models I agree but this situation is seriously exacerbating it, however it can still use the D15 air cooler up to 1.25V and that is pretty much what one could do with Broadwell-E).

Both platforms (Ryzen and Skylake-X) have had their issues but some of what I am touching upon is separate; in jy context and I think some of this may apply now as an example Asus was killing previous Intel CPUs with some of their motherboards and that was not Intel's fault, other aspects such as behaviour with AVX/regulated power management/VRM can be a mix of both Intel and the board manufacturers.
But everyone moaning about Skylake-X can come down to setting certain overclock options in the motherboard and motherboard used, and going for the worst Prime95 scenario setting for Intel on these CPUs.
Yeah I would hold off myself for now like I would had with any new platform.
My biggest disappointment though is the mesh performance/behaviour; ideally 10C and lower really do not need the mesh but unfortunately it is not cost effective for Intel to produce these Skylake-X models with ringbus as they are niche and so simpler to take them from enterprise-server models.
It will be interesting comparing the performance of the 6C CFL with the 8C Skylake-X not just in games but certain other applications.

Cheers

That guy is the most unreliable person to read any "news" from tho. Could just as well roll a die instead. He haven't been right about anything.

In reality he tends to be very accurate on predicting the contrary of what will happen. For instance he predicts HBM on Carrizo (it doesn't happen), he predicts core counts and dies used on SKL-X (it doesn't happen),...

Does it?

What speed does the 7900X run on with all cores? Its not 3.3 is it? :)

It is in stock configuration, but if you want to see a motherboard go up in flames then by all means give it a try at 4.5 and above in overclocking. I think you will be lucky to see 4.2 might squeak a 4.3 on the 7920X. This will be the last chip from Intel before they have to reduce the speeds to much for anyone to care.

It is in stock configuration, but if you want to see a motherboard go up in flames then by all means give it a try at 4.5 and above in overclocking. I think you will be lucky to see 4.2 might squeak a 4.3 on the 7920X. This will be the last chip from Intel before they have to reduce the speeds to much for anyone to care.

That myth is already busted. So try again.

Now answer the question instead, what's the all core turbo on the 7900X?

7900X full load at 4.0Ghz with all core non-AVx and 3.6Ghz with AVX. Optimized Default BIOS settings.

/I'm tired of people who don't know shit but keep parroting gibberish they heard from some "well-known" youtuber.

Last edited:
And the 7920X will be starting 400 MHz down from that. At that point all core speed it will be right there with threadripper but threadripper will have 16 cores. Simple fact as the core count goes up Intel starts losing the battle and going to the use of Mesh has hurt their IPC lead they had. Shintai you can call it a myth all you want but when you go over 400 watts on 10 cores what do you think 12 will draw...

And the 7920X will be starting 400 MHz down from that. At that point all core speed it will be right there with threadripper but threadripper will have 16 cores. Simple fact as the core count goes up Intel starts losing the battle and going to the use of Mesh has hurt their IPC lead they had. Shintai you can call it a myth all you want but when you go over 400 watts on 10 cores what do you think 12 will draw...

When people run AVX512 at full speed? No wonder. Those 10 cores on a 7900X in SIMD type loads is also faster than 40 Zen cores ;)

And TR will be what, slower but smoother like Ryzen? :D

TR AC^H^H..TDP is also higher than any SKL-X part.

When people run AVX512 at full speed? No wonder. Those 10 cores on a 7900X in SIMD type loads is also faster than 40 Zen cores ;)

And TR will be what, slower but smoother like Ryzen? :D

TR AC^H^H..TDP is also higher than any SKL-X part.

I see this launch has made you go on tilt... Good news almost no one needs AVX512 since almost nothing uses it and the only time it shows a big performance increase is in synthetic benchmarks. Skylake has been a joke of a launch and the media is telling it how it is, must be rough for you. The reviews have been fun to read tho, nice to see Intel getting called out on things rather then getting a pass.

I see this launch has made you go on tilt... Good news almost no one needs AVX512 since almost nothing uses it and the only time it shows a big performance increase is in synthetic benchmarks. Skylake has been a joke of a launch and the media is telling it how it is, must be rough for you. The reviews have been fun to read tho, nice to see Intel getting called out on things rather then getting a pass.

That's why you are so busy downtalking it and spending much time in the Intel forums? :D

Shame you cant buy sales or hinder sales. That's why you see SKL-X parts sold out.

I am looking forward to the aftermarket excuses tomorrow ;)

Last edited:
That's why you are so busy downtalking it and spending much time in the Intel forums? :D

Shame you cant buy sales or hinder sales. That's why you see SKL-X parts sold out.

I am looking forward to the aftermarket excuses tomorrow ;)

Yes all 4 of them have sold, hardly surprising, let me know when its been a few months and its still sold out. Skylake is doing a good job of hindering itself without my help. While Ryzen 1600 keeps bouncing from number 1 and number 2 sales on Amazon yet no I9's.

I look forward to your spin.

I think there are several people here that would LOVE to see what Kabylake would do with larger core counts (or like 5 UPI links !!)

----
Yes all 4 of them have sold, hardly surprising, let me know when its been a few months and its still sold out. Skylake is doing a good job of hindering itself without my help. While Ryzen 1600 keeps bouncing from number 1 and number 2 sales on Amazon yet no I9's.

I look forward to your spin.

Allow me, I'll spin .

While I'm not that impressed with skylake-x, Intel is still getting my money....Threadripper doesn't impress me even more.
I'm buying Xeon golds (formerly skylake-sp).

Yes it'll cost triple, but I'm going to win !

:D

AVX512 must be uneded for giving likes on on facebook or reading gmail [1], but what about the customers of SKL-SP that shared their experience with AVX512 on real-world server applications? What about the HPC people that uses AVX512? And don't forget that there is rumors on AVX512 support for post-Zen.

[1] FYI RyZen is also uneeded for such tasks, you can login to facebook and gmail on an old quad-core Jaguar APU.

Back