Skylake@MC: i5-6600k = $229 - $20 if you buy a board.

It's a $10 discount on the 6600K vs Amazon/etc, plus tax, unless you find a board that's actually priced at parity with etailers. I didn't check a ton of them but the couple that I did were $10-20 more than what they're going for online... Thus nullifying the combo discount.

I would hope they're doing better combos than this once 6700K availability improves... Got mine already tho. :D

Yeah it needs to be $199 to match typical i5 pricing in the past. Likewise, the combo discount needs to return to -$40.

Without the combination of those incentives, online bundles will continue to be competitive. It's like MC wants to kill off its foot traffic and that's really funny to me.

I could understand not doing 6700K combos since they'll sell out regardless during current shortages, dunno why they aren't making the 6600K combos more attractive tho.

After all, if you're trying to save a buck you're more likely to go for the 6600K anyway... Seems like the perfect target market for some attractive/aggressive combos.

I see $10 discount from amazon + save another $20 on the board, so $30 cheaper than amazon, no ? There must be at least 1 decent board @ price parity with online that would make this a good deal.

Sure I'd like to see it hit $199 but for those who need a build now, it's probably the cheapest....

Edit: GA-Z170-HD3 is $5 more at amazon, so the combo would be $10 (cpu) +$5 (board) +$20 (microcenter combo) = $35 cheaper than amazon...

Edit: GA-Z170-HD3 is $5 more at amazon, so the combo would be $10 (cpu) +$5 (board) +$20 (microcenter combo) = $35 cheaper than amazon...

If you get charged for tax at Amazon where you live, sure, otherwise tax + gas still makes it a wash. Just saying...

If you get charged for tax at Amazon where you live, sure, otherwise tax + gas still makes it a wash. Just saying...

You pay tax no matter what:

1) Either at point of sale (MC)
2) Or online (amazon for me has sales tax)
3) Or if Amazon doesn't charge sales tax & you deprive your state of sales tax by not paying use tax, it gets made up in property tax, income tax, gas tax or some other tax.

Take your pick. No free lunch.

We are comparing prices of the parts, not prices + tax since you pay tax one way or another.

I live in a US territory that just raised it's total sale tax from 7% to 13% in one fell swoop, I pay enough taxes as it is so you better believe I'm gonna factor in whatever the out-the-door cost is for me.

It doesn't change the story for anyone that lives somewhere Amazon (or Newegg, or whomever) doesn't charge tax... If they go to *their* MC, it's more expensive.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just made the comment because the board I was set on getting was $20 more expensive at MC which made the discount seem rather weak, and the next one I checked was the same deal.

This discount was announced like a week ago btw... If you're fine with getting whatever board is cheap enough or you enjoy going out of your way to pay more taxes then YMMV obviously. :cool:

Last edited:
These new procs from Intel are so underwhelming, it's pathetic.

No competition breeds laziness and complacence. Intel should slap themselves for spewing out this garbage in 2015.

But i digress.

Thanks anyhoo OP, but screw Intel.

You pay tax no matter what:

1) Either at point of sale (MC)
2) Or online (amazon for me has sales tax)
3) Or if Amazon doesn't charge sales tax & you deprive your state of sales tax by not paying use tax, it gets made up in property tax, income tax, gas tax or some other tax.

Take your pick. No free lunch.

We are comparing prices of the parts, not prices + tax since you pay tax one way or another.

With #3 you are supposed to report and pay those taxes anyway.
So by not paying them you're likely committing tax fraud.

These new procs from Intel are so underwhelming, it's pathetic.

No competition breeds laziness and complacence. Intel should slap themselves for spewing out this garbage in 2015.

But i digress.

Thanks anyhoo OP, but screw Intel.

Slap themselves for products that are going to sell out. Yeah that makes total sense.

With #3 you are supposed to report and pay those taxes anyway.
So by not paying them you're likely committing tax fraud.

That is EXACTLY my point. You can't argue "tax kills it" when you are (supposed) to pay that tax anyhow.

I live in a US territory that just raised it's total sale tax from 7% to 13% in one fell swoop, I pay enough taxes as it is so you better believe I'm gonna factor in whatever the out-the-door cost is for me.

It doesn't change the story for anyone that lives somewhere Amazon (or Newegg, or whomever) doesn't charge tax... If they go to *their* MC, it's more expensive.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just made the comment because the board I was set on getting was $20 more expensive at MC which made the discount seem rather weak, and the next one I checked was the same deal.

This discount was announced like a week ago btw... If you're fine with getting whatever board is cheap enough or you enjoy going out of your way to pay more taxes then YMMV obviously. :cool:

And you still pay tax for stuff bought online, right? right?

You all do realize that MC will match Newegg as well as "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" prices?

Also the 6700k has the same $20 bundle discount.

Where is sales tax 13%? Is there a big local sales tax on top of state?

You all do realize that MC will match Newegg as well as "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" prices?

Also the 6700k has the same $20 bundle discount.

At my local MC, they use to do this..but don't anymore. I was a bit surprised to say the least. I know Fry's does still.

Back