Skylake-Based Z170 Gaming Mini ITX Motherboard

It has a USB type-C connector with USB 3.0 connectivity which is USB 3.1 gen 1. If you want the higher bitrate 3.1 gen 2, you'd have to look elsewhere.

That Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI is a damn impressive board. It has a lot of important features with good audio, top-spec M.2 (not clear what length though), USB type-C connector, dual Intel Gbit LAN (teaming ?) and a very nice layout.

Too bad some things are just plain design mistakes, like the USB 3.0 header near the CPU socket and the headphone amplifier on the rear audio port only.

Well I do agree with your points.

amped audio in back - fail
usb 3 close to CPU - not really problem for those who watercool
usb 3.1 - I don't want that so badly that I would pay 50-60 euro more.

so gigabyte is going to be the one for me.

It has a USB type-C connector with USB 3.0 connectivity which is USB 3.1 gen 1. If you want the higher bitrate 3.1 gen 2, you'd have to look elsewhere.

That Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI is a damn impressive board. It has a lot of important features with good audio, top-spec M.2 (not clear what length though), USB type-C connector, dual Intel Gbit LAN (teaming ?) and a very nice layout.

Too bad some things are just plain design mistakes, like the USB 3.0 header near the CPU socket and the headphone amplifier on the rear audio port only.

Any idea whether the USB-C port here passes DisplayPort signals like the one on the new MacBook? I realize that the implementation here is not Thunderbolt 3, which would definitely pass DP signals. However, the current MacBook doesn't have Thunderbolt so possibly these USB-C ports could also pass DP.

Well I do agree with your points.

amped audio in back - fail
usb 3 close to CPU - not really problem for those who watercool
usb 3.1 - I don't want that so badly that I would pay 50-60 euro more.

so gigabyte is going to be the one for me.

For me it's more like:

amped audio in back - good, I always connect my headphones there anyway and don't use front audio. I hate when amped audio is only available at the front.
usb 3 close to CPU - non-issue, don't have space for anything larger than a NH-L9i anyway
usb 3.1 gen1 only - don't care

If I didn't build my system fresh from the ground half a year ago, this would be the board for me

MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC
j6EWWzi.jpg

5Iz2FOL.jpg

Wq13x3d.jpg

Looks pretty good to me, not sure about the CPU power connector, but there's M.2 on the back according to this article.

I'm also a sucker for the DDR4 Boost traces.

Last edited:
Another proper layout with good choice in components: Intel LAN, ALC1150, Intel WiFi, PCIe M.2.
The case for getting an ROG VIII Impact is becoming very slim.

Gigabyte is the only option for me at the moment, because other manufacturers don't have Alpine Ridge chips in their boards for some reason.

Unfortunately Gigabyte hasn't shown much of their Gaming 5 ITX board yet though which I am waiting for. Only mention I've seen so far is here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9485/...rock-asus-gigabyte-msi-ecs-evga-supermicro/11

It's like these companies don't want my money by not releasing these things..

The Gaming 5 looks pretty good aside from the USB3.0 header and (for me) less than stellar CPU power location.

The heatpipe and PCIE slot fortification is really cool though. :p

Either MSI's marketing renders are way off, or that 8-pin EPS12V connector is going to be impossible to use.

Here's hoping.

Surely they wouldn't let something like that slip through the design phase though.

I've got everything to build my NCase M1 but the mobo, desperately waiting for whatever M-ITX board hits the market first (assuming it has USB 3.1 and an M.2).

Why have the m-ITX gods forsaken us?!

Have you found a way to change the ncase M1 to USB type C connector in the front?

I'm also looking to build a M1 mini-itx Skylake based system, with M2 and a GPU with (3) DisplayPort that can handle triple 4K monitor setup.

Have you found a way to change the ncase M1 to USB type C connector in the front?

I'm also looking to build a M1 mini-itx Skylake based system, with M2 and a GPU with (3) DisplayPort that can handle triple 4K monitor setup.

Nope, but I have not been looking for a way to modify the front USB, not sure it'd be possible but who knows.

Gigabyte is the only option for me at the moment, because other manufacturers don't have Alpine Ridge chips in their boards for some reason.
Alpine Ridge is currently exclusive to Gigabyte.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/2

Intel is launching the Alpine Ridge controller at this time as well, which is said to support USB 3.1 Gen 2, Thunderbolt 3, HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort, and DockPort. According to our sources it would seem that GIGABYTE currently has an exclusive on this technology, and it will be used for their USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports on most motherboard models. Other functionality from the Alpine Ridge controller (TB3, HDMI 2.0) will be on a case-by-case basis depending on how the controller works in two different modes or if extra components are used. We are told that Alpine Ridge costs similarly to the ASMedia ASM1142 controller, but will enable two USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports at 10 Gbps simultaneously as it uses four PCIe lanes from the chipset.

GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) vs GA-Z170N-WIFI (rev. 1.0)

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=2&pids=5529,5518

The only differences I see GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) has :

Support for DDR4 3333(O.C.)
only one HDMI port
Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 software
one less LAN port, branded Qualcomm® Atheros Killer E2201 chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)
Alpine ridge 3.1 on back , one type C, one regular.
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector instead of 4 pin

Wonder how much the price will differ.

Considering I plan on using my new rig for many years (currently on Q6600), I want it to have the Alpine Ridge. This for future expansion options. Maybe even dual GPU with one in the slot and one over TB3?

Considering I plan on using my new rig for many years (currently on Q6600), I want it to have the Alpine Ridge. This for future expansion options. Maybe even dual GPU with one in the slot and one over TB3?
I also wonder if that could be an option, but first there should be a board or a chassis for external GPU over a TB3.

Looking like the gigabyte might be the one unless any of the others will support usb 3.1 in a way that will work for me. I could compromise on a board that turned the PCIe slot down to x8 but leaves the options to hook 3.1 up to a SATA express port. The ones that disable SATA express will just not work. Regardless, LET ME BUY ONE already! :p

Damn, just 4 regular USB ports on both of those. That's pretty sparse.
Other than that, the Gaming 5 looks rather good, the alpine ridge controller is a big deal and if you plan to use a dedicated GPU, the missing HDMI port doesn't matter. The second NIC would've been a nice gimmick, though.

Just having the Alpine Ridge controller doesn't mean anything if it isn't connected up to have the desired functionality. It's being used to provide USB 3.1 Gen 2, but the spec sheet makes no mention of Thunderbolt, or any other interfaces passed through to the Type C connector under Alternate Mode.
I can't think of any good reason why Gigabyte would have the connections on-board to use Thunderbolt and not advertise it as a feature, or even an upcoming/potential feature.

Just having the Alpine Ridge controller doesn't mean anything if it isn't connected up to have the desired functionality. It's being used to provide USB 3.1 Gen 2, but the spec sheet makes no mention of Thunderbolt, or any other interfaces passed through to the Type C connector under Alternate Mode.
I can't think of any good reason why Gigabyte would have the connections on-board to use Thunderbolt and not advertise it as a feature, or even an upcoming/potential feature.

Thunderbolt 3 is mentioned in the manual (pages 5 & 8): http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z170n-gaming5_e.pdf

From the manual

Chipset+Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 Controller:
- 1 x USB Type-C™ port on the back panel, with USB 3.1 support
- 1 x USB 3.1 port on the back panel

So yea, they could say that in the manual and technically be correct there being the controller and not implement it. But would they?

http://www.gigabyte.com/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=1370

Bringing USB Type-C™ Connectivity and Compatibility with, DisplayPort 1.2, Extreme USB 3.1 and later this year, Thunderbolt™ 3

Is there any reason why no Z170 ITX board are not available for sale other then the EVGA?

Is there any reason why no Z170 ITX board are not available for sale other then the EVGA?

....I was just logging in to ask this same question and saw you already did... I am also curious to know about this....

Asus is traditionally late with the Impact. For the others I think it's because Intel bumped up the Skylake schedule and the manufacturers decided to focus on getting the ATX boards to market first.

Really hope that is the case. If the gigabyte is available first it will make the choice easy for me. Hopefully we will see some U.S. Availability at the same time or very shortly after. (Fingers crossed)

Here in Spain they list the GA-Z170N-WIFI for around 150€.. No stock atm.

I think the difference between GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) vs GA-Z170N-WIFI (rev. 1.0) will be 30€

WIFI: 150€
Gaming: 180€

Ahh, the GA-Z170N-Gaming5 DOES have m.2, I missed that when looking at the specs. Dang, this seems like the ITX board to get. I was waiting on the AsRock as I'm impressed with the current ITX board I have from them, but since the Gigabyte is almost here......

Can anyone think of any cons related to the Gigabyte ITX Gaming board?

Well to me it seems like it has only 4 normal usb, and since it's Gigabyte it probably has shitty fan control... Apart from that, it's perfect

Back