Skylake - Bad time to buy an ultrabook

Blackstone

2[H]4U
Does anyone know when Skylake is going to make it to Ultrabooks? I want an XPS 13 but am concerned it will be refreshed and with substantially better hardware within the next few months. Any idea when these products will launch?

Does anyone know when Skylake is going to make it to Ultrabooks? I want an XPS 13 but am concerned it will be refreshed and with substantially better hardware within the next few months. Any idea when these products will launch?

Skylake is expected to get a proper debut this fall, probably early in the fall (September/October). I'd expect at least some PC makers to hop on it pretty quickly, but they're not going to announce anything until the processors are ready. That'll most likely involve refreshes at first (hopefully including the XPS 13), while major revisions and all-new models will take considerably longer.

Intel mentioned 3rd quarter at IDF about a week ago. Fanless Tech leaked this slide 2 weeks ago if you're curious about the U model specs:

LEsXGAz.png

Intel SIPP isn't a release date, it's the stable platform revision. Current version for Skylake is called 2016.

Some Ultrabooks will probably use a Skylake based Core M.

No quads at all, not even an i7-6600U? Has an i7 ever had less than 4 cores?

There will definitely be quad Core i7 Skylake processors, both desktop and mobile. That's not really a complete view.

These are 15W "U" processors typically used in ultrabooks and (convertible) tablets, not the regular mobile "H" models.

The naming conventions suck, but Intel has been using a Q suffix since 2009 to denote quad core i7 model mobile processors, so it has been consistent. Skylake i5/i7 6xx0HQ are the quad core mobile models, with 45W TDP and significantly better GPU included than the U models.

If we are speaking about full listed price then it's worth waiting since refreshes will likely occupy same pricing points.

But since both Win 8.1 and Broadwell are going away there should be some sales starting soon (or already) so if you can get current models for 100-200$ cheaper than official price it's good trade off.

You will lose a bit of performance but most people don't use ultrabook as their only workhorse pc so it shouldn't matter that much.

Any news on when the XPS 15 Infinity Screen is coming out? Can't seem to find any information other than some Italian Dell Tweets.

If you're a gamer, definitely wait for skylake, because thunderbolt3 will finally allow external GPUs.

So you'll be able to purchase a thin/light ultrabook with great battery life like the XPS13 then plug it into an external enclosure with a PCI-e x16 slot, a bunch of additional USB ports, audio, ethernet, etc, and power the laptop, all over a single cable.

It's nerdvana. Coming soon!

Back