Skulltrail and X48 . . .w00t

Discussion in 'Intel MoBos' started by DarthBeavis, Dec 21, 2007.

1. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis 2[H]4U

Santa came early . . .Skulltrail and Bonetrail 2 (X48)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. BillParrish

BillParrish [H]ardness Supreme

Holy crap would you look at that ! LOL 2 x 8pin aux 12V connectors (I think) on the Skulltrail, looks like we will be needing that Toshiba mico Nuclear Power Plant more sooner than later. Wow ! /envy

3. AthlonXP

AthlonXP [H]ard as it Gets

ok I would like your address so I can come by and ummmmm borrow those!... lol:D

4. troisanh

troisanh [H]ardness Supreme

'wishes he wasnt married' and still single.....such is life. keep ups posted how they clock.:cool:

5. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis 2[H]4U

I am married and now a student and stay-at-home Dad. My wife supports my rampant modding habit both financially and emotionally - so a search for DarthBeavis so see the projects

6. Nasty_Savage

Nasty_Savage [H]ardForum Junkie

Where'd the skulltrail come from?

7. shadow74205

shadow74205 Gawd

Yes.... Where did the Skulltrail board come from? Inquiring minds want to know. By the way, do you need someone to test it out for you???:)

8. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis 2[H]4U

I am a beta tester for Intel . . .

9. mavalpha

mavalpha [H]ardForum Junkie

Cool, I thought these'd be under NDA for some time. :) (They aren't, are they? :()

10. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis 2[H]4U

I have been given limitations as to what I can disclose.No benchmarks, restriction on feature specifications, etc. I can take all the pix I want.

11. ND40oz

ND40oz [H]ardForum Junkie

Too bad the skulltrail layout blows. Do you have quad channel working with it?

12. rodsfree

rodsfree [H]ard|Gawd

How do I get that job????

13. shadow74205

shadow74205 Gawd

Beta tester? Where do I send my resume? Can you tell us when we can expect these boards and at what prices? Or is that information also under NDA?

14. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis 2[H]4U

I do not have those answers. I think I will be allowed to post benchmarks when PDXLAN 11 rolls around tho ;)

15. Zefram0911

Zefram0911 [H]ard|Gawd

Is that skulltrail board going to fit in a standard ATX case?

I have a mountain mods duality and wondering if that bohemeth will fit in there.

16. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

How about "pictures of benchmarks?" :D

17. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis 2[H]4U

It is going in my custom Mountain Mods 22" phase changed cube. . .

18. Old Hippie

Old Hippie [H]ardness Supreme

Ahhh, She got a sister that likes long haired guys? :D

19. 0ptional

0ptional Don't Trust Your Friends with Your Decanter

Seriously, I'm a few days off of 2 years in to this relationship and she's already nagging about how I spend unnecessary money on my computer. Hell I barely even game, I could get by with a 7300GT in my system and probably never notice it.... but it's me, and that's not going to happen, plus there's the LAN party e-peen contest I have to win every freakin' time.

I'm terribly about one-upping my friends with stuff... I assume it's incredibly annoying for them too.

20. Ste

Ste Gawd

Did you recieve any X38 motherboards to test??

21. AthlonXP

AthlonXP [H]ard as it Gets

Dont ever come to parties that I go to then... lol

22. Blazemore

Blazemore [H]ard|Gawd

Have to post pics of Skulltrail once up and running, subscribed.

23. vict0r

vict0r Gawd

whats up with this board? what is this skulltrail? never heard of it?

call me a noob or whatever..but oh well..

24. cannondale06

cannondale06 [H]ardForum Junkie

25. vict0r

vict0r Gawd

wow

so will this thing also support 2x q6600?

or does it only apply to the new cpu's coming out in january ?

26. mashie

mashie Mawd Gawd

Edit: Oh crap, guess that single socket mobo won't do SLI right?

27. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

No. Dual socket Intel processor compatible boards are for socket 771 Xeon processors.

Not unless NVIDIA changes their policy on SLI support on non-NVIDIA chipsets. Since the 780i SLI chipset was just released I'd say that is highly unlikely.

28. Narisatu

Narisatu Limp Gawd

The skulltrail platform running at IDF was running 8800 GTX's in SLI, and the board itself appeared to have a pair of nvidia MCPs. The chips where socket 771 though, at least, im assuming so, because it was using fb-dimms.

I'm assuming that they are running nvidia chipsets to use SLI (and they did look like it), but it could have been their own chipset, with a change in nvidia's rules, but i doubt it.

29. kuyaglen

kuyaglen [H]ardForum Junkie

Hopefully we can get a pic of these nvidia chips on the mobo, at least according to this anandtech blurb link

30. abcdelight

abcdelight [H]ard|Gawd

Intel makes me think copper heatsinks aren't that useful.

31. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Supposedly Skulltrail is SLI compatible because of an NVIDIA chip that Intel purchases and integrates into their board design. The Skulltrail board is still an Intel chipset, but supposedly has this SLI compatible chip added to the mix. Personally, I think that's bullshit. None of Intel's chipsets need any other hardware to be SLI compatible.

32. Narisatu

Narisatu Limp Gawd

Ahh, Well, I would agree on calling bullshit. They probably purchased a license to use the SLI, if they did in-fact purchase something from nvidia.

33. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

They may have purchased a license to be able to advertise SLI support on Skulltrail. However NVIDIA has never restricted SLI from functioning on Intel workstation chipsets. NVIDIA doesn't sell any chipsets designed for use in that market so they have no fear of competition or loss of sales. They probably figure that they wouldn't sell as many Quadro cards if they couldn't be used in SLI on Intel workstation chipsets.

34. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis 2[H]4U

not sure what mean by bs...I like Intel and Nvidia alot and hope both floursh and keep pushing forward

35. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

As I said before. Supposedly Skulltrail gets SLI support due to an NVIDIA chip being added to the board. I call BS on that one as such a chip isn't needed.

36. BUFF

BUFF 2[H]4U

true but it does mean that the nVidia driver finds an nVidia chip when it looks for 1 before enabling SLI ...

37. Living Weapon

Living Weapon Limp Gawd

Last I heard, SkullTrail does Crossfire, not SLI ...the irony cited at the time being that AMD/ATi is a competitor of intel, yet SkullTrail uses an nvidia PCIe to PCIe bridge, hence running afoul of both GPU manufacturers. Maybe intel will support both on this board, which would be hella cool for the consumer, if they can sort the licensing. It would be nice to know, after dropping $1k each on a pair of CPUs, and another $1k on FBDIMMs, that you could choose whatever graphics card is best at the time and in the future. FWIW, AMD doesn't restrict CrossFire, so anybody with adequate silicon is free to implement support on their MB.

I guess the notion of a PCIe bridge to allow massive peer-to-peer bandwidth is interesting, but AFAIK the path between the southbridge and said PCIe bridge isn't huge. Of course, benchmarks have shown it doesn't need to be; benchmarks show that SLI games reach about the same frame rate on PCIe 16x8 and even 8x8 systems, since the entire point of a GPU is to offload the main CPU and RAM. Other than loading textures, which pretty much load up and stay on the graphics card, there really isn't a huge need for bandwidth between the CPU and GPU.

Maybe with 4 video cards you need more bandwidth to copy the textures 4 times? PCIe 2.0 is rumored to provide a multicast capability when addendum are ratified this summer, so it will be interesting to see if all the pre-standards motherboards can do that :eek:

38. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Again they never did this with the workstation chipsets in the past. There is no reason why they would need to do it today.

39. AMD_RULES

AMD_RULES 2[H]4U

40. 0ptional

0ptional Don't Trust Your Friends with Your Decanter

Well I'm aiming for a new MB and some water cooling for this quad and the 8800GT and that should net some pretty good results... but yeah, as per your sig, holy crap, qx9650! I *just* jumped on the G0 Q6600 bandwagon.

Nice car btw :D One of my favs.