skulltag mod for Doom/Doom II - officially the most awesome thing ever

Sabrewulf165

2[H]4U
http://skulltag.com/

I'm currently playing Doom at 1680x1050 (OpenGL rendered) with free mouselook (up and down too), jumping, and so many customization options available that I can't begin to describe them all.

Sorry if this is old news to some, I just discovered it. Sheer awesome.

that looks sweet !

maybe ill get some more use out of my id collection sitting in my steam games

thanks OP

I'm kind of confused why iD thinks it a good idea to go back and start polishing up 10 year old games instead of creating a new game that people want to buy.

lol. maybe drum up more interest to whatever project they are working on currently. all the good pc game makers out there are painfully slow. yeah i know we dont like rushed games blah blah. but still .......seems slow to me at a time when pc market is kinda stale.

my guess would be the end of the first sentence says "by ID Software" - but that is in reference to Doom itself. I'll check this out.. I was using the doomsday engine before, but this looks a little more polished.

I've tried maybe half a dozen different Doom source ports, and the best by far is Doomsday. It's the dynamic lights and the blood splatter effects which really set it apart. (I think the last couple of releases are pretty buggy though... stick with 1.9.0beta5.1 for now)

Be sure to grab the hi-res texture pack and the environment pack. There's also the JDRP, though personally I prefer the original sprites to the 3D models.

I'm kind of confused why iD thinks it a good idea to go back and start polishing up 10 year old games instead of creating a new game that people want to buy.

I wish the companies would do this to older games such as System Shock, Freespace, or other now-classics. I'd definitely buy if a "remastered" version came out.

I wish the companies would do this to older games such as System Shock, Freespace, or other now-classics. I'd definitely buy if a "remastered" version came out.
Freespace 2 is open source, and there's still a lot of active development (including a port of Freespace). Don't remember what packages you should be looking for, exactly, but the forums over here look like a good place to start.

Nah, I like the original game with updated geometry and a few tweaks, not an entire overhaul that's basically a brand new game.
Doomsday itself doesn't really change things too dramatically. All the model / texture replacements come from external addons. The things it does change (namely, the lighting and particle systems) stick pretty close to the feel of the original.

Skulltag is where it's at for multiplayer, from what I hear, but aside from that Doomsday is second to none.

Perhaps I'll give it a look then. What appealed to me about skulltag is that it takes the old game and makes it feel "up to date" with modern controls, movement, options, etc. but otherwise leaves the game alone and was absurdly easy to get running properly (install package, add wad).

If Doomsday can do those things then it sounds good. I have to say I wasn't really impressed with the particle effects in skulltag, have stuck with sprites so far. How is the lighting in Doomsday better? Skulltag does dynamic lighting and fake contrast too but it's fairly subtle, which I like.

I got to tinkering with this yesterday afternoon and ended up tinkering with Quake1 as well lol. SkullTag works very nicely in terms of setup and use. Not to hijack, but has anyone tried Q1 with Darkplaces and Ryge's high-res texture pack?

How is the lighting in Doomsday better?
I think it's mostly the sprite lighting that brings it to life - monsters etc. are shaded according to the direction of the light source, giving it a real sense of depth. Watching a fireball pass by an imp in a dark corridor is just superb :cool: .

I don't think static shots really do it justice, but here's a taste nevertheless...

doom2036.jpg

doom2037.jpg

doom2042.jpg

doom2050.jpg

doom2051.jpg

Wow, Skulltag is amazing. I like GetWad functionality, it's awesome.

Another game for the Eee PC. :D

I think it's mostly the sprite lighting that brings it to life - monsters etc. are shaded according to the direction of the light source, giving it a real sense of depth. Watching a fireball pass by an imp in a dark corridor is just superb :cool: .

I don't think static shots really do it justice, but here's a taste nevertheless...

Holy cow dude smaller images next time! :p

But yeah, skulltag has that too, and I agree, it does add SO much more immersion factor to the game :cool:

Back