Skip at the beginning of games

JacobC1983

2[H]4U
I have a problem with my new i7 build in my sig. At the beginning of COD4 and COD5, I have a skip or hitch in the game. Its hard to describe, it happens about 4 or 5 times at the beginning of a multiplayer match.

I guess I can install some other games and see if it happens.

Every 2 or so seconds on the dot, right at the beginning of a match, the FPS drops and comes back causing a skip in the game, and it happens for these few times, then completely goes away. I have tried this with SLi enabled, and disabled, VSync on and off.. etc, and still it happens.

its weird too, because no matter what I change, it happens the exact same every time. And its timed perfectly.. like I can pick the exact moment its going to happen after it happens the first time, because the skip is timed so well..

Does anyone have a problem like this? How do I get rid of it.. it sucks for the first 20 seconds or so of a mulitplayer match

thanks for the help

What other apps are running? Load up task manager and see what spikes when the hitch happens. If nothing, then run a Drive Fitness test on your HDD and/or update your vidcard drivers.

running the latest nvidia drivers, that was the first step

I will check the hard drive next

hard drive seems to be fine according to my diagnostic

what could possibly be spiking causing FPS to glitch at the beginning of games?

I wonder if your gfx cards PCI-E connections are running full speed.
ie it might be taking a while to load the game textures.
I'm tired and going to bed now so you'll need to research how to check.

your idea seems plausible, that was one of the first things I checked after drivers, and I looked in my x58 bios..

I couldn't find what to change out of auto to make sure the pci-e slots were running at full speed
where in the evga x58 SLi bios would I find this? does anyone have the same board and can point me in the right direction?

CPUZ, GPUZ, or dxdiag should tell you the speed its running at.

Back