SK Hynix sampling new LPDDR5T

Lakados

[H]F Junkie
Not to be outdone by Samsung's recent announcement of its LPDDR5X modules SK Hynix has announced its LPDDR5T modules.
https://videocardz.com/press-release/sk-hynix-now-sampling-lpddr5t-turbo-memory-up-to-9-6-gbps

Back in Nov 2022 Samsung announced their LPDDR5X which topped out at 8.5Gbps on a 12nm process, SK today announced their LPDDR5T modules which top out at 9.6Gbps on a 10nm process.
SK Hynix is the first to use a Hi-K Metal Gate in a mobile product which is what allowed them to hit these speeds on low voltages.

It's likely going into cellphones and AI systems first as the PC market doesn't really have anything that can use those kinds of speeds right now.

For reference desktop DDR5 6400 tops out around 6.4Gbps if you are getting the really good stuff.

These new modules start giving speeds that rival the HBM2e spec when everything is laid down.

For reference desktop DDR5 6400 tops out around 6.4Gbps if you are getting the really good stuff.

These new modules start giving speeds that rival the HBM2e spec when everything is laid down.
There has been 8000 MT/s available on desktop for almost 2 months now.

There has been 8000 MT/s available on desktop for almost 2 months now.
Sort of, you need to get really lucky with a Z790 board and an Intel 13900k if you want to attempt it, but it defaults to 1.45v out the gate and is just using a heavily OC’d DDR5 module. They have DDR5-10000 modules expected soon too, but they still don’t touch the X and T modules for pure throughput.

Sort of, you need to get really lucky with a Z790 board and an Intel 13900k if you want to attempt it, but it defaults to 1.45v out the gate and is just using a heavily OC’d 6.4 Gbps module.
I have no idea on the specs of the exact ram chips being used without doing a little research but yes only a handful of motherboards can handle those speeds. My mobo has support for up to 7600 though if using two sticks with single rank.

I have no idea on the specs of the exact ram chips being used without doing a little research but yes only a handful of motherboards can handle those speeds. My mobo has support for up to 7600 though if using two sticks with single rank.
So looking at what Samsung has planned for their DDR5X modules it will be launching stock at 8533 speeds at 1.1v in 64gb modules. That would put the SK stuff in the 9600 range at that same 1.1v in a 64gb module. Too fast for SO-DIMM so either as a CAMM module or soldered.

Back