SK Hynix 1TB P41 NVME not as fast as reviewed drives - how to tune?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
The SK Hynix is supposed to be the fastest NVME on the market right now, according to most review sites.
For example:
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/10110/sk-hynix-platinum-p41-2tb-ssd-the-best-yet/index.html

Here is the IOPS read test.
1654803563930.png

Here is the full Anvil test from TweakTown
1654803530477.png

I bought the 1TB version to use as an OS drive on Windows 11 on my new Gigabyte 690 Elite AX DDR5 motherboard and Intel 12700 system.

I downloaded Anvil Utility and did the test, and mine isn't nearly as good.
I suspect there are BIOS options I may need to configure. Any suggestions on things I should check to get this drive up to full speed.
For what it's worth, this drive is fast. I literally installed Windows 11 on this drive off my USB drive in less than two minutes.

It boots fast and behaves fast, but it isn't benching fast. Here are my benchmarks for comparison:
My IOPS are still higher than most drives (though not as fast as the review sites, but my Sequential read and Write is slower than it should be.
1654804170915.png

Last edited:
Well, whatever is wrong with it on this Anvil Benchmark, isn't a problem on the 3DMark Storage Benchmark! :cool:
Windows Central said the SK Hynix was the fastest NVME they ever tested and it got this score in their test.
1655060081473.png

Mine benched even faster!
1655060156636.png

The SK Hynix is supposed to be the fastest NVME on the market right now, according to most review sites.
For example:
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/10110/sk-hynix-platinum-p41-2tb-ssd-the-best-yet/index.html

Here is the IOPS read test.
View attachment 481481

Here is the full Anvil test from TweakTown
View attachment 481480

I bought the 1TB version to use as an OS drive on Windows 11 on my new Gigabyte 690 Elite AX DDR5 motherboard and Intel 12700 system.

I downloaded Anvil Utility and did the test, and mine isn't nearly as good.
I suspect there are BIOS options I may need to configure. Any suggestions on things I should check to get this drive up to full speed.
For what it's worth, this drive is fast. I literally installed Windows 11 on this drive off my USB drive in less than two minutes.

It boots fast and behaves fast, but it isn't benching fast. Here are my benchmarks for comparison:
My IOPS are still higher than most drives (though not as fast as the review sites, but my Sequential read and Write is slower than it should be.
View attachment 481489
Latest bios? (looks like you are two bios updates behind)
Latest Intel Chipset drivers?
Is the P41 the only hard drive which you have installed right now?

Last edited:
I bought the 1TB version

Capacity often plays a significant role in the performance of an SSD. Anandtech used to be pretty good about showing this; they'd performance test each available capacity of a product in their reviews.

Wait for a comprehensive review of the P41 1TB and compare directly against that. Otherwise, you may just be chasing benchmark results you have zero chance of ever seeing.

Capacity often plays a significant role in the performance of an SSD. Anandtech used to be pretty good about showing this; they'd performance test each available capacity of a product in their reviews.

Wait for a comprehensive review of the P41 1TB and compare directly against that. Otherwise, you may just be chasing benchmark results you have zero chance of ever seeing.
Usually its write speeds which differe the most between 1 and 2 Terabyte drives. Its a bit strange that his reads are so much lower. But the writes aren't nearly as big of a deficit. I wonder if its a firmware issue with the 1TB version.

Latest bios? (looks like you are two bios updates behind)
Latest Intel Chipset drivers?
Is the P41 the only hard drive which you have installed right now?
I have the newest BIOS on my motherboard F7 and Windows is fully updated. Not sure what BIOS you are mentioning I'm two behind on? Where'd you even see that LOL? I can't seem to find any BIOS updates for the P41 Drive.
I downloaded the newest Intel Chipset Drivers from my motherboard manufacturer's (Gigabyte) site.
P41 isn't the only drive I have, but it's on the NVME slot that is directly connected to four CPU lanes (top NVME slot on my board that is above the PCI-Ex 16x slot) and that NVME bandwidth isn't shared by anything as far as I can tell from the block diagram.

I'd think maybe it has something to do with it being my Windows 11 OS drive, except it's obvious the Tweaktown test also had it as their Windows 11 OS drive as well by the name of the drive in their test.

Usually its write speeds which differe the most between 1 and 2 Terabyte drives. Its a bit strange that his reads are so much lower. But the writes aren't nearly as big of a deficit. I wonder if its a firmware issue with the 1TB version.
Depends on the amount of chips on the drive, cache may make up for lower write speeds not so much for read speeds.

Some of the drives on that list don't run well of the x570 chipset. I for example i had the S70 Blade Gammix from Adata 2tb drive and off the cpu m.2 slot it was great ! But off the chipset it ran 6500mb/s reads 3200mb/s write max. Similar results with a Firecuda 530 1tb. The Samsung 980 Pro and the WD SN850 run as advertised on the x570 chipset. I am running 2x WD SN850 2tbs off my chipset m.2 slots now and i get 6500mb/s reads and the advertised 5200 mb/s write.

I have the newest BIOS on my motherboard F7 and Windows is fully updated. Not sure what BIOS you are mentioning I'm two behind on? Where'd you even see that LOL? I can't seem to find any BIOS updates for the P41 Drive.
I downloaded the newest Intel Chipset Drivers from my motherboard manufacturer's (Gigabyte) site.
P41 isn't the only drive I have, but it's on the NVME slot that is directly connected to four CPU lanes (top NVME slot on my board that is above the PCI-Ex 16x slot) and that NVME bandwidth isn't shared by anything as far as I can tell from the block diagram.

I'd think maybe it has something to do with it being my Windows 11 OS drive, except it's obvious the Tweaktown test also had it as their Windows 11 OS drive as well by the name of the drive in their test.
Ah sorry, I looked at the DDR4 version of your board. It has an F8d bios from 4/28. You must have the DDR5 version of that board. Indeed, F7c from 3/28, is the newest bios.

Back