SJW's Attacking Obsidian and Pillars of Eternity

Grimspoon

Limp Gawd
Reading those tweets hurt my brain.

LQGwx.png

Yeah, keep giving them attention.

the more you give them attention the less important they become right? just like anita.

Keep linking, keep discussing, Keep going.

"Erika Imperial ‏@icequeenerika 2h2 hours ago
Also holy fuck I gained 100 followers while asleep"

So a world where we slay our way from one side of the continent to another is somehow tainted because of an obscure memorial that most people would have never paid any attention to ... although all games are fantasy, most RPG games are exceptionally so ... they will often use plot devices that are unacceptable in other genres (slavery, discrimination, murder, genocide, pogroms, etc), and I don't see a need to have them removed ... I would say leave well enough alone ... if we sanitize everything down to a level where there is no offended minority then we would ultimately have nothing left ;)

the more you give them attention the less important they become right? just like anita.

I don't mind shining a light on the absurdity of these people; eventually the gaming community will have enough and shut this behavior down.

I do somewhat agree. I mean, stupidity being pointed out isn't a bad thing either... but I wouldn't even have known the the fuck Anita Sarkesisan is if it weren't for the apparent outrage.

Well... whatever, it's like you can't win either way, so just let it grow and wither, as it pleases.

I thought the joke was in bad taste, but if it fits the environment like TotalBiscuit says, then who cares. Then again if I read something a tombstone with a KKK epitaph on it I would ask for a refund and boycott everything from the developer. We all have lines that we don't want to be crossed. So who am I to tell this person not to be offended.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Just hope that some jackass doesn't swat this person so that we have to send them on a speaking tour across America.

Double standards will always run rampant...

Violence will be acceptable except for 1 or 2 combination, and is very directional (it's OK one way, but it's not at all OK the other way).

Slavery is also fine, except if one specific party is involved (there are plenty of others which had been subject to slavery in the past, it's fine for them too).

Killing/Murdering/probably even genocide is ok, where as something in complete direct contradiction of that is not...

list goes on...

I thought the joke was in bad taste, but if it fits the environment like TotalBiscuit says, then who cares. Then again if I read something a tombstone with a KKK epitaph on it I would ask for a refund and boycott everything from the developer. We all have lines that we don't want to be crossed. So who am I to tell this person not to be offended.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Just hope that some jackass doesn't swat this person so that we have to send them on a speaking tour across America.

Even if the game is about the KKK and it's relation to blacks when it was prevalent?

Personally, there are things I'm offended by, but I doubt very much, I'd bitch about it. Especially so, when it's in good context. Probably because I know it's not insulting me, or attacking me, but rather to convey that is how the world was. It's not like it's saying it's okay in the real world.

Oh man, looks like it's that time again for someone else to stir up a shit storm as they rile not only themselves, but others blessed with similar synaptical misfirings up into a huff because of the dumbest, most minute shit.

The comical cascade of dumb has indeed been set in motion once more.

Even if the game is about the KKK and it's relation to blacks when it was prevalent?

Personally, there are things I'm offended by, but I doubt very much, I'd bitch about it. Especially so, when it's in good context. Probably because I know it's not insulting me, or attacking me, but rather to convey that is how the world was. It's not like it's saying it's okay in the real world.

I couldn't fathom how anyone could derive "fun and fuzzy feelings" from it. Would turn my nose up to the publisher and spend my money elsewhere. I'm not into reliving the greatest hits of the KKK. :) I sure as hell refuse to give someone money to entertain me with it.

But I can kinda see your point in an open society in the future where you discuss what happened in the past as everyone sits around singing Kumbaya. Since I can't drive to the store here in NC without fear of getting profiled by the police, eff that noise. Call me when we get to that point in our society! :) :) :)

Just being 100% honest. Not mad, upset, or taking up for the IceQueen or whomever they are.

Well you're no different than then in that case. And lets not kid ourselves, the regulars here know you're more on their side than not. There are no lines, either it all gets censored or none of it gets censored.

So a world where we slay our way from one side of the continent to another is somehow tainted because of an obscure memorial that most people would have never paid any attention to ... although all games are fantasy, most RPG games are exceptionally so ... they will often use plot devices that are unacceptable in other genres (slavery, discrimination, murder, genocide, pogroms, etc), and I don't see a need to have them removed ... I would say leave well enough alone ... if we sanitize everything down to a level where there is no offended minority then we would ultimately have nothing left ;)
This.

The problem with jokes is that they are all in bad taste to someone (or something). What's a completely sanitary joke that's not? And I'm willing to bet that I can probably find someway it's offensive to somebody. You can't sanitize everything to make a completely non-offensive game, because at that point, it becomes offensive because you're not adding Social Justice values to the game.

If you get your knickers in a twist over something like this, are you really the kind of person who plays games for story and dialogue to begin with? Go back to skipping the cutscenes like you usually do and everything will be just fine.

The poem was in bad taste. But this is an RPG with lots of dark elements. Nobody balks at all the murdering. Has anybody started shit about the backer submitted backstory for the lesbian Cipher and her lover? No, I didn't think so.

I don't mind shining a light on the absurdity of these people; eventually the gaming community will have enough and shut this behavior down.

Because the "gaming community" consists of such rational, well-adjusted people.

Unless of course by "shut down" you mean "respond with anonymous threats of violent sexual assault and/or murder", in which case yes, you're probably right.

Fucking twitter is such a worthless piece of shit, but people who get sucked into it seem to believe the world revolves around it. Fucking slacktivists.

Unless of course by "shut down" you mean "respond with anonymous threats of violent sexual assault and/or murder"

Unfortunately there are outliers on both sides who engage in said behavior and as a gamer I refuse to allow myself to be dined by what the extremists do.

If that's how you view this community I feel bad for you.

They changed the text in the game, glad to see hypocritical assholes ruin everything:

http://kotaku.com/pillars-of-eternity-fan-text-changed-after-player-compl-1695608446

At least the text that replaced it is clever.

It's still super dumb that anyone got their panties in a bunch over that.

The fact that obsidian is pissing off the politically correct/SJW's is icing on the cake for me. Let these fuckers whine, they just want something to complain about. The game is a fucking masterpiece, fuck these idiots.

I don't know what's more annoying, listening to the whiners, or listening to people whine about the whiners.

Unfortunately there are outliers on both sides who engage in said behavior and as a gamer I refuse to allow myself to be dined by what the extremists do.

If that's how you view this community I feel bad for you.

Then what do you mean when you say that "the gaming community will have enough and shut this behavior down"?

I actually wonder, what would happen if he refused to change it. From the sound of it, it would be removed. The way they phrased it seem to point that way. A key point though, is that they would have been offended anyway, they just didn't catch it the first time. Seems stupid.

But, I doubt we'd find out. I'm not a big Obsidian fan. Only game I liked from them was Alpha Protocol, which failed miserably according to everyone. And man, did that game have a lot of bugs. As for PoE, I was mildly interested, since it reminds me a bit of one of my old games Pool of Radiance.

Then what do you mean when you say that "the gaming community will have enough and shut this behavior down"?

Devs, publishers, gamers, journos; when we all decide that this nonsense has gotten out of control and simply refuse to acknowledge SJW's and their petty, hate filled tantrums. When as a whole we refuse to give in to their demands.

When the guys at Obsidian saw that original tweet complaining about the poem they should have blocked the user from their feed instead of giving the complaint any sort of validity.

Devs, publishers, gamers, journos; when we all decide that this nonsense has gotten out of control and simply refuse to acknowledge SJW's and their petty, hate filled tantrums. When as a whole we refuse to give in to their demands.

When the guys at Obsidian saw that original tweet complaining about the poem they should have blocked the user from their feed instead of giving the complaint any sort of validity.

Its the Internet of thin skin now. Say or do anything wrong and Twitter will shred your career into nothing.

Frankly its fever pitch should have been reached but it seems like the ceiling is non-existent for every person who's so easily offended.

Just ask comedians what its like to do stand up now. Its a fucking nightmare. Everyone judges you on a single sentence for the rest of your life..

Like Kramer? I never saw exactly the scene people are talking about but apparently it was "pretty bad."

And yea, it's sad how it is nowadays. PC has taken over the world. And people think it's just America... when it's even worst in some other countries.

Guys if you want to discuss this I'm going to ask you to stay away from conversation not directly related to the game or the developer, or how things like this affect gaming in general. Genmay is available if you want to discuss off-topic areas like the nature of human sexuality. Any more of it and I'll close the thread. Thank you for understanding the need to avoid off-topic conversation in this subforum.

Back