size of Xbox Series X compared to a Fridge

I don't think so, only that these post whores with 10's of thousands of posts should know better by now. idgaf about consoles except the xbox is over 9000 jokes from back in the day and the fridge ad was humorous.

why the console resembles a fridge:

Ultimately, it was created in such a strange shape due to how the internal components fit together in a "really unique way".

This was shared by Xbox Series X principal designer Chris Kujawski during Austin Evans hands-on with the system, where he commented it was built that way for a good reason:

"I mean, you put the box together, you can see how all of those big components kind of fit together in this really unique way, and it's all driven by pulling air through the system with this big axial fan on the top."

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/..._is_why_the_xbox_series_x_looks_like_a_fridge

why the console resembles a fridge:

Ultimately, it was created in such a strange shape due to how the internal components fit together in a "really unique way".

"the ODD [optical disc drive] sets one dimension, the volume of the heat sink sets the other dimension, the height is set by airflow and throughout this kind of complex negotiation of figuring out how this stuff comes together, we landed on a square form factor which we love."
— Chris Kujawski, principal designer at Microsoft to Euro Gamer

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/digit...-xbox-series-x-a-revolution-in-console-design

The Xbox system architects decided from the get-go that the next generation console had to deliver an absolute minimum of twice the overall graphics performance of the Xbox One X, meaning 12 teraflops of GPU compute, sitting alongside the Zen 2 cores that would deliver a 4x improvement in CPU power. At the same time, the mandate was set that the machine also had to equal the acoustic performance of the Xbox One X - a tall order when system power would be increasing significantly.

"We studied many different ways of doing air movement in a product and a single axial fan was the most efficient, the quietest air mover for our system... we do a bunch of customisations here, so the number of blades, particularly the blade geometry, is highly highly optimised to operate within the confines of our system."

The only thing that seems "iffy" in the design is the psu has ventilation holes on the bottom, but some kind of plastic clip or shroud on the top, which seemingly blocks any way for the heat to escape/travel upward to the fan it is right next to.. but then again, if it's just a 300w psu or w/e, maybe it doesn't produce a lot of heat?

Looks great, I'll probably pick one up. Went PS4 at the start of last generation but leaning Xbox this time around. Sounds like it will be roughly on par with the PC I've built over the last 18 months for significantly less. Maybe a touch more GPU power and a few less CPU cores. Looking forward to the leap in visual fidelity the new console generation will bring to video games in general.

I have a sliver of regret for buying my LG C8 a year before the C9 came out with HDMI 2.1, but I think I can make do with 4K/60.

I have all the clues, thank you very much. Consoles are for children, always have been and always will be. Just because peeps have the money to spend on toys doesn't mean they should. Its ok though. You folks are just Soft. I assume it is related to white vans with FREE CANDY printed on the side.😐
ok boomer

I'll be down for one, but dont know about day one. Got irritated for getting day one xbox one for $100 more and nothing extra. Should have waited a year.

I have all the clues, thank you very much. Consoles are for children, always have been and always will be. Just because peeps have the money to spend on toys doesn't mean they should. Its ok though. You folks are just Soft. I assume it is related to white vans with FREE CANDY printed on the side.😐
Looks like a shiny plastic toy, sure - and I'm not saying this to be offensive - but one that has much, much more computational speed than the rig in your sig...

This is the first time in history I might buy a console as it'll be priced less than a 2080 Super, and probably outperform it.

Though, with MS's lack of good exclusive IP, were I to buy a console these days I guess I'd go for a PS5.

I'd still much rather have a 3080TI (as I've waited 8 ish years for a GPU upgrade tyvm) But like, who knows when those are coming out.

HAHA seriously? The Xbox One sold terribly, to the point where everyone considers it dead. That's why nobody makes exclusives for it anymore, not even Microsoft. Microsoft obviously thinks its because the PS4 was more powerful than the Xbox One, which is probably why the Xbox Series X has such amazing specs. That isn't the case at all, as Microsoft tried to push for the Kinect and to prevent the resale of used games. Even when they fixed those problems, the main issue is that Microsoft doesn't spend the money to make good exclusives for the Xbox One.

To say that the Series X will sell well is amazing. What exclusives is coming out just for the Series X? How much is the console going to cost? If the Xbox Series X costs $100 more than the PS5, you can put a fork in it and call it a day. Consoles aren't like the PC Master Race where top tier performance matters, because if that were the case the 3DO would have won the 16-bit era, the Sega Saturn would have won the 32-bit era, and the Original Xbox would have kicked the crap out of the PS2. None of that obviously happened.

Also, not many people own a competent gaming PC and consoles. That would easily break the bank for a lot of people. You pick a platform and you game on it and hope it gets all the games you want to play. I don't understand the need for consoles to exist other than to promote anti-consumer practices. There's zero reason to own consoles beyond exclusives, hence why the Xbox brand is dead. That's why Microsoft stopped reporting Xbox One sales and why some of the best Xbox exclusives are on PC and Switch. No exclusives means the Xbox might as well be a coffee table.

Really? I know a ton of people that do both. Even those who don't have a lot of money somehow manage to have a decent computer and at least one console. I have 5 desktops and a server (3 kids + me and my wife), 2 PS4's and and XBox One... depending on the game and who else is around we'll play networked on the PC, or grab a remote and play a game in the living room split screen. They ARE toys, but ones that a lot of people end up buying. I prefer the desktop in most cases, but some games are just more fun sitting on the couch with the kids side by side. Could I setup quad split screen on my desktop and hook it to my TV and then get 4 bluetooth remotes? Most PC games aren't meant (or able) to be played in that fashion. It's not just about exclusives, it's about how they are played and ease of use. I haven't had to worry about drivers not working with my PS4 yet. It just works (besides the annoying a$$ updates, but they still tend to just work).

All that said, as my youngest gets a bit older she is getting much better on the PC now, so we don't play on the console near as much as the PC's anymore and don't see myself purchasing the next generation of consoles for this reason.

PC offers a better experience, no matter what people say...and reality reflects this:
https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/0...-and-will-have-dlc-on-par-with-the-witcher-3/

CD PROJEKT RED also revealed some other interesting details regarding Cyberpunk 2077, such as the fact that 600 people have been working on the game to ensure that it’s of the highest quality possible. The company also mentioned that pre-orders for the RPG are actually lower on consoles – evidently, most gamers are aware that the PC version will provide the ideal experience.

As long as you have the hardware to pull it off, sure. I don't think anyone is disputing this.

That is kinda the point....you want a "light" experience...you go console.
Every single generation the have lacked behind in I.Q...never going to change...but seem people seem in denial about that.

When the console grows up it want to be a PC.

That is kinda the point....you want a "light" experience...you go console.
Every single generation the have lacked behind in I.Q...never going to change...but seem people seem in denial about that.

When the console grows up it want to be a PC.

Amusingly, right at this moment the visual crown goes to the PS4. Almost nothing else (without mods, of course) looks as good as FF7R or Spider-man (though, both games do use some very obvious tricks in order to look as good as they do).

Amusingly, right at this moment the visual crown goes to the PS4. Almost nothing else (without mods, of course) looks as good as FF7R or Spider-man (though, both games do use some very obvious tricks in order to look as good as they do).
You mean you really like "dynamic resolution"...aka too little performance?
Cyberpunk 2077 will show that the consoles are not up for task...and that is just the begining.

You mean you really like "dynamic resolution"...aka too little performance?
Cyberpunk 2077 will show that the consoles are not up for task...and that is just the begining.

Dynamic resolution, picking some textures to display in lesser quality, etc. Leaves the games looking beautiful though.

Honestly, if Cyberpunk 2077 only looks as good as it did in the last gameplay reveal it's not going to hold up. It looked good, but not quite up to the best of the best.

Dynamic resolution, picking some textures to display in lesser quality, etc. Leaves the games looking beautiful though.

Honestly, if Cyberpunk 2077 only looks as good as it did in the last gameplay reveal it's not going to hold up. It looked good, but not quite up to the best of the best.

Lovely own goal! :D
You know why the video's are not "impressive" looking?
Because of the CONSOLES (why the game I.Q. was downgraded in the Witcher 3):

https://screenrant.com/cyberpunk-2077-delay-current-gen-console-limitations/

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/27/17787984/cyberpunk-2077-gameplay-demo-expectations

I cannot stop laughing my ass off right now!!!

Lovely own goal! :D
You know why the video's are not "impressive" looking?
Because of the CONSOLES (why the game I.Q. was downgraded in the Witcher 3):

https://screenrant.com/cyberpunk-2077-delay-current-gen-console-limitations/

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/27/17787984/cyberpunk-2077-gameplay-demo-expectations

I cannot stop laughing my ass off right now!!!

So you post a random "annoymous insider" rumor and an article from 2018 as some kind of...Point? Not sure what the fuck any of that has to do with anything. Spidy PS4 and FF7R look better than what CDPR showed of Cyberpunk 2077 during their last gameplay demonstration back in August. Yet somehow that is going to "prove" something about the consoles not being able to run games? If it doesn't look as good as other games and runs worse that's more on the developer than the platform.

So you post a random "annoymous insider" rumor and an article from 2018 as some kind of...Point? Not sure what the fuck any of that has to do with anything. Spidy PS4 and FF7R look better than what CDPR showed of Cyberpunk 2077 during their last gameplay demonstration back in August. Yet somehow that is going to "prove" something about the consoles not being able to run games? If it doesn't look as good as other games and runs worse that's more on the developer than the platform.

Keep ignoring reality, here is a co-founder of CDPR stating the same thing:
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/4530...el-good-about-witcher-3-downgrades/index.html

You can ignore reality, but that doesn't change reality...waiting for your next excuse?

It is not rocket science...keep evading, that is an argument in it self ;)

No, seriously. This whole time you've been trying to use Cyberpunk to prove....Something. How does this change the FACT that, currently, some of the best looking games on the market are on consoles? You act like admitting that is some kind of fucking personal affront to you. What the fuck does Cyberpunk getting downgraded have to do with this?

Also, I don't for a second believe consoles are the sole reason for the graphical downgrade. If you want to use random "insider" rumors then we should talk about all the rumors of Cyberpunk's incredibly troubled development and bad management. That, on it own, could cause them to make big changes. Plus, even with its downgrades Witcher 3 was still the best looking game out there when it released and still holds up. Yet somehow it's console's fault that Cyberpunk doesn't even seem to look as good as W3?

No, seriously. This whole time you've been trying to use Cyberpunk to prove....Something. How does this change the FACT that, currently, some of the best looking games on the market are on consoles? You act like admitting that is some kind of fucking personal affront to you. What the fuck does Cyberpunk getting downgraded have to do with this?

I beg to differ...so does image analyzing.
Please prove your argument.

Also, I don't for a second believe consoles are the sole reason for the graphical downgrade. If you want to use random "insider" rumors then we should talk about all the rumors of Cyberpunk's incredibly troubled development and bad management. That, on it own, could cause them to make big changes. Plus, even with its downgrades Witcher 3 was still the best looking game out there when it released and still holds up. Yet somehow it's console's fault that Cyberpunk doesn't even seem to look as good as W3?
You calling a public interview with a co-founder of CDPR for "inside" rumours is funny on a new level...
And you cannot read.
The 48 min gameplay video of Cyberpunk 2077 looks like it does, so no one gets dissapointed on release (aka what you might get on consoles)...the PC will have better visuals.
CDPR learned from their Witcher 3 mistake....but you just make shite up as you go along...we both know why ;)

This quote says it all:
https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077-look-amazing-even-consoles/

Actually no, we have a very custom engine, the RED Engine. And actually, we're targeting consoles as first class platforms and it looks amazing there. So obviously, if you spent, you know, $2,000 building your PC rig, it's going to look better on that. But the graphics are quite amazing for what you're going to get from Cyberpunk 2077 on consoles and low-end PCs.

Welcome to reality...where "Amzing on consoles" = low-end PC's :LOL:

I beg to differ...so does image analyzing.
Please prove your argument.

You calling a public interview with a co-founder of CDPR for "inside" rumours is funny on a new level...
And you cannot read.
The 48 min gameplay video of Cyberpunk 2077 looks like it does, so no one gets dissapointed on release (aka what you might get on consoles)...the PC will have better visuals.
CDPR learned from their Witcher 3 mistake....but you just make shite up as you go along...we both know why ;)

Note how I said "some". Obviously there are better looking games (as always, without mods). Control, for example. Crysis 3 and Witcher 3 still hold up amazingly well. Titanfall 2's art style is still gorgeous despite some technical limitations brought on by using Source. Are you going to argue that, even with the tricks they use, that games like God of War, Spider-man PS4, and FF7 Remake don't stand up with the best looking games on the market right now?

No, I'm calling that Screenrant article "random insider rumors". The article you used to "prove" whatever point you were trying to make.

Honestly, if Cyberpunk 2077 only looks as good as it did in the last gameplay reveal it's not going to hold up.

Pay attention to the key word here. Since there is no proof that the game will look better the only thing people have to go on, right now, is what they have shown. For some reason instead of saying "it will look better than that on PC" you got all butthurt that someone dared to say anything mean about Cyberpunk.

Note how I said "some". Obviously there are better looking games (as always, without mods). Control, for example. Crysis 3 and Witcher 3 still hold up amazingly well. Titanfall 2's art style is still gorgeous despite some technical limitations brought on by using Source. Are you going to argue that, even with the tricks they use, that games like God of War, Spider-man PS4, and FF7 Remake don't stand up with the best looking games on the market right now?

No, I'm calling that Screenrant article "random insider rumors". The article you used to "prove" whatever point you were trying to make.

Pay attention to the key word here. Since there is no proof that the game will look better the only thing people have to go on, right now, is what they have shown. For some reason instead of saying "it will look better than that on PC" you got all butthurt that someone dared to say anything mean about Cyberpunk.

I will go take a look at the console games you mentioned, but from just watching the start of "God of War"...I fail to see why you think it is one of the best looking games.
Will be back later...

First edit:
Spiderman has really crappy textures/LOD:
1586707711064.png

Last edited:
I will go take a look at the console games you mentioned, but from just watching the start of "God of War"...I fail to see why you think it is one of the best looking games.
Will be back later...

First edit:
Spiderman has really crappy textures/LOD:
View attachment 237411

Check out some later sections for God of War.

That screenshot for Spidy is a common issue with texture streaming. The slow-ass hard drive in the PS4 can't keep up with his movement and causes things not to load in properly. I'd love to see it running on a PC with a fast SSD or even see if the PS5's SSD set up will improve that.

If the Xbox series S exists, it is unlikely to be shaped like a cube (half the xbox series X), says Paul Thurott

https://www.thurrott.com/games/xbox/237240/the-latest-on-lockhart#

Why? One thing that Microsoft mandates is when they let employees/third-parties travel with the hardware, they ask them to disguise the product. This is a standard practice in the industry but for the Anaconda, Microsoft recommended employees put the hardware in a PC tower, subwoofer, or something else that is quite large. For Lockhart, Microsoft has said that the hardware should be disguised by using Durango or Scorpio covers which means the device is not the same shape as the series X.

Another consideration is that for the series X, Microsoft is using a split motherboard design. The company is doing this to maximize cooling but this is a more expensive approach. First, you have two PCBs, you need two manufacturing lines, and twice the testing of the product – it’s not the cheaper route but the X is performance-focused. With the series S, using a single PCB would reduce manufacturing complexity and the price but on the other side of the coin, you could make the argument that by using a split design, the same as the X, it would make the overall cost of the next-gen platform less expensive. But, to make a split motherboard and to make it smaller than the series X to achieve the smaller design, would increase cost, not reduce it.

Back