Sixteen Years Old, $1.7 Million in Revenue: Max Hits It Big as a Pandemic Reseller

If generators were that important to people, they'd have one before emergencies hit.

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Honestly it sounds greasy but it really isn't. Holding product costs money, and those generators weren't going to sit somewhere and be readily available to the people that needed them. Sometimes being able to pay a premium during an emergency is a luxury in itself.

Honestly it sounds greasy but it really isn't. Holding product costs money, and those generators weren't going to sit somewhere and be readily available to the people that needed them. Sometimes being able to pay a premium during an emergency is a luxury in itself.
I sold all of them in twelve hours too. And people were thrilled that they managed to get one.

I sold all of them in twelve hours too. And people were thrilled that they managed to get one.
Yeah I think most people get hung up about paying over MSRP, when MSRP usually exists to protect margin and not the consumer. Think less about the 700 dollar generator you paid 1500 for when you were freezing your ass off, and more about how you spent 12 dollars on a pack of zip-lock bags at the grocery store instead of getting 50 packs on Wish.

LMAO are you really trying to say getting $5,000 and working for a year to turn that into $100k isn't self made?
I'm saying that I severely, severely doubt that he "only" got $5,000 and also highly doubt that he did all the work himself.
It was probably like, spent 5k, made $1000 profit, daddy came along and gave him another 20k, financial advice, and a fucking warehouse to "rent" to store it in.

OuETxdN.gif

There is lots of money to be made in unethical and shameful things like scalping.

What else is new?

Let's not praise this little child asshole. He deserves to be shamed instead.

(not that I really care about consoles at all, but still)
prob scalping gpu's too

I call bs or at least a lot more to the story then that. That's an insane amount of goods to be moving....like warehouses full it's cheep goods or pallets and pallets of Xboxes ect...also that profit margin sounds very low and I think it's more likely something shady is going on
his dads prob a manager at best buy.

Remember when people hated ticket scalpers so much 15 states made it illegal? But tickets to see the latest popular band is not a luxury good like a console so it IS terrible right? ;)
yeah and i thought scalping was still illegal till a couple years ago when going to see TOOL the whole tour was sold out in like 20 min but you could buy tickets all day for double on ticketmaster's sister site, stub hub. and they were already like a $100 before the scalp. prob ticket master doing the scalping like MSI was doing with their gpu's.

I honestly don't have a problem with it. People selling things goes back to the time we started to form the most basic of civilizations. Commerce and trade are isn't anything new and I don't see any problem with it. I really don't have a problem with a kid taking a limited Pokemon card, and then selling it for whatever someone is willing to pay for it. How much should one legally be allowed to sell it for? The manufacturing cost? The retail cost? Likewise for a crappy inflatable pool.

I also don't see why you must be a large corporation like Walmart to sell something for a profit, but an individual can't. I suppose some people just enjoy billionaire CEOs getting more cash flow over an individual or small business.
it's one thing to make a few bucks. yeah, cool. but when you're selling a $400 gpu for $12-1500 that's price gouging. i guess if you don't mind paying that much for mid-grade gpu's then maybe nvidia will start just charging that much normally? since you're ok with those type of profit margins. i just don't want to hear anything when scalpers are charging $4000. but i guess you're not a gamer. it's no big deal till it affects you. and walmart doesn't mark items they sell up $7-800

Most people earning a living selling/reselling stuff haven't invented their own product. Walmart? Grocery store? Car dealership?
Show me where Walmart Grocery store Car dealership are hoarding items just to sell over MSRP

I bet you the weak minded idiots in this thread that are praising this kid like he's the next Warren Buffett, are also the same fools who would cry when their local gas stations jacks up the price of gas during a storm.

Last edited:
yeah and i thought scalping was still illegal till a couple years ago when going to see TOOL the whole tour was sold out in like 20 min but you could buy tickets all day for double on ticketmaster's sister site, stub hub. and they were already like a $100 before the scalp. prob ticket master doing the scalping like MSI was doing with their gpu's.
The web is replete with secondary sellers for just about everything. Shows have gotten to be a ridiculous. good tickets for prime shows fetching hundreds if not thousands of dollars

Show me where Walmart Grocery store Car dealership are hoarding items just to sell over MSRP

I bet you the weak minded idiots in this thread that are praising this kid like he's the next Warren Buffett, are also the same fools who would cry when their local gas stations jacks up the price of gas during a storm.
I agree with you, but car dealerships regularly jack up prices on desirable vehicles. It is happening right now with the new Bronco.
As for hoarding, beanie babies over twenty years ago. Dealers would buy them, then leak them out at 2-20 times their MSRP.

I will definitely be crying my eyes out when the price of gas is jacked up. But then when you come to me and say "If you'd like, some body of people can help control the prices of these goods so that this doesn't happen", I will sniffle a little, smile, and say "no thank you, that sounds like a worse system". :)

It's always a balance of completely free market vs price restrictions. Having a system where all prices are controlled (either by social arrangement or by some government body) is not a good system. Having fluid price fluctuations in a free market is important. In certain situations it might be necessary for the government to step in a little to regulate these prices. I have not see any arguments for why regulation should be necessary for GPU's, gaming consoles, or above-ground pools.

You want to become a reseller of products? Excellent! Free markets work better with your services. If you think it's an easy way to make money, more power to you! If you sit around complaining to everyone else that this isn't fair, I dont know what to tell you. Life isn't fair?

ROFL.... The hate is strong....

As noted - dealerships sell hot cars above MSRP quite frequently for hot models.

The other items.... competition and plenty keeps the prices low. Full stop. Corporate big wigs at the grocery stores and walmarts COULD do what this kid did and jack up the prices for scarce items, but they're more concerned (for once) about their long term image in a marketplace full of competition for the other things they sell that are not nearly as scarce.

Jacking up prices during storms are the right thing to do to prevent hoarding and ensure the widest distribution possible and helps keep people from trying to fill plastic bags with gas. What's better - 10 people hoarding 100 bottles of water each or 100 people with 10 bottles of water?

ROFL.... The hate is strong....

As noted - dealerships sell hot cars above MSRP quite frequently for hot models.

The other items.... competition and plenty keeps the prices low. Full stop. Corporate big wigs at the grocery stores and walmarts COULD do what this kid did and jack up the prices for scarce items, but they're more concerned (for once) about their long term image in a marketplace full of competition for the other things they sell that are not nearly as scarce.

Jacking up prices during storms are the right thing to do to prevent hoarding and ensure the widest distribution possible and helps keep people from trying to fill plastic bags with gas. What's better - 10 people hoarding 100 bottles of water each or 100 people with 10 bottles of water?
Or you can just put a limit on how much each person can buy?

Like the literally dozens of "only 1 pack of toilet paper per person" or "1 generator per buyer" or "1 PS5 per preorder", " 1 videocard per household" etc. Signs that I've seen literally thousands of.

Scalping is just arbitrage. If your prices are wrong then they're wrong and there is an opportunity to profit from your wrongness. Raise your prices. Put the money either into RnD or new Plant, don't leave it on the table for third parties.

Scalping is just arbitrage. If your prices are wrong then they're wrong and there is an opportunity to profit from your wrongness. Raise your prices. Put the money either into RnD or new Plant, don't leave it on the table for third parties.
Oh no, so evil and wrong! /s

lol the boomer is strong in this post

High schools don't teach cursive or Latin and haven't for decades.
LOL the stupid is strong in the above.

Concerning your assertion that HS have not taught Latin for decades. You'd better not tell my rising senior as he has had Latin every year of high school. As for learning handwriting in HS well ... maybe you but the the normal folks learn that short of thing in elementary school. :)

LOL the stupid is strong in the above.

Concerning your assertion that HS have not taught Latin for decades. You'd better not tell my rising senior as he has had Latin every year of high school. As for learning handwriting in HS well ... maybe you but the the normal folks learn that short of thing in elementary school. :)
Most high schools do not teach Latin as it's a dead language. You get Spanish or French as choices, it's been this way for decades now. Fancier high schools will offer German or Mandarin but those are a lot harder, fancier ones will offer Latin as a sort of elective slot but it won't satisfy your language quota.

Cursive has likewise been phased out a while back from most schools. Though there are a lot more tech classes now.

StubHub is not owned by TicketMaster. Used to be owned by eBay before they sold it to viagogo. "Scalping" (paying more than face value) is only illegal in certain nanny states. Reality is, TicketMaster has been raising their prices to take the profit that otherwise would have gone to another third party.

What's ironic is that TicketMaster is a third party themselves. The venue or band is the first party. People are okay paying more than face value when it's a corporation, but not okay when it's an individual.

Time and money are resources. Some people have more time than money. It's the people who value their time less (i.e. standing in line for 6 hours to get tickets) that are complaining. Put enough time into anything and you can get nearly anything at face value/MSRP. Alternatively, you could devote that time to improving your job skills and making more money. It's a tradeoff. What's more important to you?

Pro Tip: To those looking for some scare resource - check out Distill.io. It may help you get whatever you are looking for.

Last edited:
Fancier high schools will offer German or Mandarin but those are a lot harder, fancier ones will offer Latin as a sort of elective slot but it won't satisfy your language quota.

Bzzz wrong answer! Thanks for playing. :) Absolutely counts for foreign language otherwise he would have taken Russian.

It's not greasy because he didn't buy generators during the emergency, i.e. helping create the shortage, he bought them well in advanced, he's simply becoming another outlet that has stock during time of need. This is way different than someone who buys a good and instantly lists it at a higher price.

It's not greasy because he didn't buy generators during the emergency, i.e. helping create the shortage, he bought them well in advanced, he's simply becoming another outlet that has stock during time of need. This is way different than someone who buys a good and instantly lists it at a higher price.
he was still overpricing them......

Reminds of the guy who started with a paper clip, traded that for something of more value, and repeated the process until he had a house.

I know it isn't exactly the same, just reminded me of that story :)

If he was overpricing then he would not sold any. The fact he sold them says he was not overpricing. You may not like it but that is how
He has bought and resold dozens of the newest PlayStation and Xbox machines for as much as $1,100—more than double their $500 sticker prices.
-wall street

do you not call that overpricing because I do lol

-wall street

do you not call that overpricing because I do lol
But do the math. He did this to "dozens". Even if he did 60, that's only $60k or about 4% of his revenue. The vast majority of his sales are likely typical reseller items where he's able to get a really good deal because of a sale and resell for a more standard price. Outside of Q4 or extreme shortages, it's not really possible to do huge markups over retail. And if it's a shortage, you're likely not able to get many. Here's an example of how resellers make money. They find items like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Rigid-Denim-Overall-46x30/dp/B000UVNEA2/

On Jun 13th, for about 6 hours, it was on sale for $15. It's normal price is $49. If you buy it and resell it at regular price on Amazon, you make about $20 a pair after fees. Now Amazon limits quantities to 3 per size but there are dozens of sizes. I managed to order around 50 pairs total. That is an example of an Amazon flip. Buy from Amazon to resell on Amazon. Clothing and shoes are particularly good for this.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back