Six Strikes Officially Begins On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what makes anyone think it's ok to pirate just because the cable companies are idiots?

In all the years and all the discussions I've seen and been part of....I've never heard/seen anyone ever say that "it is ok". No one says "it's ok". Anyone that does it, should already understand what it means to do it. It's just like smoking. No one ever says smoking is "ok". This is the wrong question to ask. All I'm saying is that there is a much larger picture here and the moral question of downloading anything using any method amounts to nothing more than manipulation and obfuscation.

I'm thinking of sharing fake files. I highly dobut the MAFIAA actually downloads the entire thing to verify if it is actually a copyrighted work and the second they accuse me of violating the law, I shall sue them for defamation per se and give them a taste of their own medicine.

Also, Torrent sites should put in their terms of service that employees or agents of the MAFIAA are prohibited from accessing the site. Any violators should be charged under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, just like Aaron Swartz was.

Also, Torrent sites should put in their terms of service that employees or agents of the MAFIAA are prohibited from accessing the site. Any violators should be charged under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, just like Aaron Swartz was.
That's actually a fantastic idea.

But what makes anyone think it's ok to pirate just because the cable companies are idiots?

Well, personally I'd rather not spend a lot of time and money on cable company BS. Whether or not you think it's "okay" to download TV shows doesn't really matter to me, nor should my reasoning matter to you.

All I'm saying is that if it were easier to get content legitimately then more people would. Not everyone, there are always people who will download just for the sake of downloading, but more.

usenet is starting to suck....DMCA. :rolleyes:
Stay away from providers like Astra or Giga. Both have automated DMCA systems that zaps stuff pretty quick.

Find a decent provider that's not based in the US and check to see if they are just reselling somebody else's servers. Fact is all are susceptible to take down notices. However tho other countries have similar laws, they are not exactly like the DMCA, and not all providers are as quick to move on take down requests. In fact, I was just testing out an offshore provider, and I was able to pull down a Linux distro that was posted a moth ago, and zapped by Astra within hrs of release.

You can never have enough Ubuntu, really.

Amazon, iTunes, Netflix, Redbox, Wal-Mart, etc?

Those are fine for a fair amount of stuff, but they're not the end-all, be-all.

As I said, the main thing now is newer TV shows and having to deal with cable companies trying to rape you.

It's tougher on day 1 because the industry robo-DMCAs the hell out of new stuff, but after the first week's initial hype dies down it's easy to find stuff.

The DMCA requires that the copyright holder or a *person* legally able to represent them (e.g. a member of the bar) send the notice.

I'm pretty sure that computers can't hold copyright and I'm pretty sure that computers are not members of the bar who can act as attorneys. Perhaps now that corporations are people, the government plans to make computers people too?

Those are fine for a fair amount of stuff, but they're not the end-all, be-all.

As I said, the main thing now is newer TV shows and having to deal with cable companies trying to rape you.

Then buy it on dvd or bluray once it's available... it isn't your right to pirate it because you don't want to wait or pay the price :rolleyes:.

Hulu Plus?

Yep, works well for me. I have it and cable service with a Tivo Premiere Elite, as well as Amazon Prime. Works well for me... I buy blu-rays on sales for $3-10 each depending on how new a release it is from gohastings/other sites or amazon sales. BUT I WANT IT NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW they're going to reply.... ;).

Then buy it on dvd or bluray once it's available... it isn't your right to pirate it because you don't want to wait or pay the price :rolleyes:.

I could have some fun and say it wasn't women's right to vote back then, but then times changed and we all wised up. We are in that time now for digital media. The way it is right now is just flat out done wrong and it needs to change. Everyone has changed and is ready, and in some ways we are just moving forward without the media companies. They can get on board or not, but shits not gonna go backwards. We are already in the future, they can catch up.

I could have some fun and say it wasn't women's right to vote back then, but then times changed and we all wised up. We are in that time now for digital media. The way it is right now is just flat out done wrong and it needs to change. Everyone has changed and is ready, and in some ways we are just moving forward without the media companies. They can get on board or not, but shits not gonna go backwards. We are already in the future, they can catch up.

Civil liberties != avoiding paying for a product by pirating. Please, can the shit here. You're not fooling anyone, and hopefully not yourself, with that.

I'm sorry, but that's absurd.

Just like I can do whatever the fuck I want and it's not your "right" to tell me otherwise. Right?

Yep, works well for me. I have it and cable service with a Tivo Premiere Elite, as well as Amazon Prime. Works well for me... I buy blu-rays on sales for $3-10 each depending on how new a release it is from gohastings/other sites or amazon sales. BUT I WANT IT NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW they're going to reply.... ;).

I want to start watching the new show The Americans, which is in the middle of a season. That means it's not going to hit DVD for awhile. It's not on Hulu on my Xbox though which is all I have attached to my TV, it's available web-only which means I'd have to gather my wife and I around my PC. So guess what I'm going to do? Who's the genius that made it web only? Not my problem, I'm going to watch it anyway. Now without ads because of some dumb Hulu/Network decision.

That's real life, that's where we are. I'm paying for a service that even offers it, and yet due to some stupid arbitrary decision I'm still going to torrent it. Shits crazy.

I buy blu-rays on sales for $3-10 each depending on how new a release it is from gohastings/other sites or amazon sales.

I call bullshit on that unless you are talking about REALLY old movies. Even then Blu-rays are typically anywhere from $15 to $30 apiece.

Just like I can do whatever the fuck I want and it's not your "right" to tell me otherwise. Right?

Wrong. You are agreeing to the laws of the country by living here, and the laws say you're committing a crime. You also are infringing on the rights of others and their livelihood by your actions, so yes, it does become our right to tell you you're not allowed to do that. Just like you can't go disturbing the peace, streaking in the streets naked, etc. either.

The severity is not the similarity. It's the fact that times change and you have to change with them. Come on I figured that'd be pretty obvious.

Thing is, times haven't changed. You're just a handful of infringers who are trying to justify themselves fruitlessly.

Wrong. You are agreeing to the laws of the country by living here, and the laws say you're committing a crime. You also are infringing on the rights of others and their livelihood by your actions, so yes, it does become our right to tell you you're not allowed to do that. Just like you can't go disturbing the peace, streaking in the streets naked, etc. either.

Some laws are unlawful. :D

I call bullshit on that unless you are talking about REALLY old movies. Even then Blu-rays are typically anywhere from $15 to $30 apiece.

A Blu Ray new is going to be around that price. Even used you are looking at around 10 bucks.

It costs over 2 dollars to ship a Blu Ray using first class mail.

Bullshit yourself. I've gotten brand new releases for $8-12 on their launch days pretty consistently thanks to the SD forums, and EXTREMELY often for $15ish. Once they're 3-6 months old I can generally get them for $12/less with ease, often 8 or below. Not everyone is silly enough to just pay retail when the shops are offering better.

Thing is, times haven't changed. You're just a handful of infringers who are trying to justify themselves fruitlessly.

Read my above example and my previous Youtube video linked, that's the level of absurdity we're dealing with.

"Our" right? Excuse me, who the fuck are you?

Also..."infringing on livelihoods"...LOL.

And I thought your trolling was just confined to the Video Card forum... :rolleyes:

A Blu Ray new is going to be around that price. Even used you are looking at around 10 bucks.

It costs over 2 dollars to ship a Blu Ray using first class mail.

Wrong, I even said where I get them: gohastings (a west coast chain I order online from) and amazon. Sales are very, very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back