sit and wait

Joined
Jan 25, 2006
Messages
57
hey there
as you may or may not be aware im a bit of a noob, trying building a new machine.
my question is should i sit and wait for the Barcelona or just get on with it?
essentially its ganna be a gaming system and the opty may be a bit of overkill but i want it to go the distance and last for ages hence the investment
id prefer an AMD, but for preformance and price it seems to be goin the the way of the intel C2d.
im a little bit hesitant of the am2's because of the price seems way too low. so should i wait for amd's new chip or just jump into an intel system?
no doubt the new opty boards will be on the expensive side as will the chips when they come out and the 64x2 5400 are around the price i wanna pay.
the E6600's look to be the better option at the moment
if anyone could help me out that would be swell
spose i could just start my system
hard drive and case etc and wait, but thats not ganna work so well if the chip release is delayed
argh!
 

meatycheesyboy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 29, 2004
Messages
482
New technology will always be right around the corner. I say just buy the best that your money can get you today if you need the computer today. If you need the computer next month than wait til next month and buy the best your money can buy next month.
 

RamonGTP

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
8,150
I'd say that it really depends on what you have now. If it's a pretty low-end system I say go for the Intel now. If what you have is already pretty decent, then wait it out and see what Barcelona has to offer against C2D.
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2006
Messages
57
can someone please tear apart this logic so i can make a decision.
at the moment i dont a have a machine so as you could imagine it is terrible but bearable.
it seems underinvesting is my main concern. the am2 is cheap i would spend about the equvilent on e6600 which seems to have better ocing capacity than the am2. however the long i wait the more that goes into the coffers for a new machine. when the barcelona comes out, and if someone wants to illuminate me on that too, that would be swell.
i guess i would invest in a dual opty board and upgrade with an extra processor /oc later on.
 

RamonGTP

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
8,150
Then go for a system now, and go for the C2D, that is what I would do.

Barcelona is still a ways away and it's performance is anything but proven. Even if current AM2 boards will be able to support Barcelona, it is likely that their full potential won't be realized without a new board. If I was in your position, it would be a very easy choice. C2D! I'm not a big fan of the waiting game, I mean, if Barcelona was a week out, then by all means, wait and see... But if you're having a hard time deciding on something that is still several months away, then you will always be playing the waiting game.
 
Top