SiS 755 chipset board for Athlon 64?

MIchaelM

Weaksauce
I've read some good things about this chipset, but alas, there aren't any boards using it out there. Also the Ali is supposed to be pretty raging. THere's a great chipset roundup at
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=review&dId=583&dPage=17

So when the heck are we going to see these boards? The Ali is on a Soyo board, but from what I've read I'd be afraid to buy that product due to various problems. I have yet to find anything froma major board manufacturer on when/if we will see boards using these alternate chipsets.

Also, anyone know when the next pricedrop will be for the 64? I would think when the 3400+ comes out. Hopefully in Jan. I'm looking to upgrade, but I'd have to spank myself if I bought right now and in a week or 2 some kick-ass products come out for less money. Of course, this is almost ALWAYS a dilemma in computer shopping.

Give it a bit of time; the Athlon 64 family is in a state of transition, and core logic designers, let alone motherboard manufacturers, must be hesitant to produce products that will quickly go obsolete by a new core from AMD. Once the Athlon 64 line grows in quantity and variety, you'll see more SiS and ALi based boards, especially because they're so promising. It's been suggested that AMD and ALi codeveloped the AMD64 chipsets under the ALi name, though I have not yet found official confirmation...it is an interesting prospect nonetheless.

But that ECS board is supposed to be crap. I'm looking for a better manufacturer.

from what i can tell ecs boards are supposed to be very stable they just don't oc worth anything.

Nforce3 is not the best board you can get for gaming due to using only half of the hyperthreading available.

what do you mean nforce3 250? As opposed to 150? Did they adjust the hyperthreading? If so, is there a board with this yet?

from what i can tell ecs boards are supposed to be very stable they just don't oc worth anything.
My ECS 746 board isn't "very stable" at stock speed.
It's pretty stable though.
ECS tends to use the cheapest VRMs and fewer PCB layers than most "brand name" manufacturers.

I personally would wait for another manufacturer, or a board with the new ALi chipset from another manufacturer.
Regardless, newegg does not claim to have the board in stock right now.
Did they adjust the hyperthreading? If so, is there a board with this yet?
Hypertransport clocks and widths? Yes, supposedly. Hyperthreading is the intel brand name for SMT on the PIV.
The chipset has not yet been released.

It's been suggested that AMD and ALi codeveloped the AMD64 chipsets under the ALi name, though I have not yet found official confirmation...it is an interesting prospect nonetheless.

Sure looks a lot somthing like it:
ALi/AMD? chipset board.
AMD 8151(ALI M1687) + M1563
Did ALi just rebrand the AMD AGP tunnel or is it the other way around?

edit: +a, third & 4th quote

Originally posted by MIchaelM
what do you mean nforce3 250? As opposed to 150? Did they adjust the hyperthreading? If so, is there a board with this yet?

Yes they will fix the HT..and add a couple of extra features such as nVIDIA RAID (pata) , gigabit ethernet(in 250Gb), native SATA, etc.

+ provide true PCI locks, hopefully?

Yes they will fix the HT..and add a couple of extra features such as nVIDIA RAID (pata) , gigabit ethernet(in 250Gb), native SATA, etc.

sounds good, is there a board with this yet? If not, when?! I think the problem is, as has been stated before, that some MB manufacturers don't want to make a new MB with these chipsets because in 6 months there's going to be chip revision with more pins. Sucks for trying to get the best board now though. I have a xp 1900 that is actually underclocked to run stable (bad ram I'm thinking). THis was after bringing it to PCclub to fix. Didn't discover it until months later. bastards. I'm crazy for an upgrage, but don't want to be obsolete in 6 months.

Back