Siri listens to everything you do.

scojer

[H]F Junkie
Thanks to YeuEmMaiMai

Sorry we’ve been eavesdropping on your sex life.

Apple on Wednesday apologized to its users for employing third-party contractors to listen to audio recordings picked up by its Siri voice assistant, including when the voice assistant program was accidentally triggered by muffled background noise.

I like how they'll no longer use contractors, and keep it in house, to limit future whistle-blowers. There really is no such thing as privacy anymore.

I fully expect all voice queries are mined. I use them very sparsely.

If anyone thinks this type of eavesdropping is only occurring with Siri then they’re in for a rude awakening.

If you invite ANY internet connected device with a microphone into your home, you should expect to be monitored at some point whether as intended by the sponsoring company, by the government, or by hackers.

The only privacy you have with one is through obscurity...e.g. nobody cares what you have to say because you aren't important.

If anyone thinks this type of eavesdropping is only occurring with Siri then they’re in for a rude awakening.
My computer has no microphone, yes physicially doesn't have one. Good luck with that eavesdropping. And my phone is not connected to the internet apart from the few minute when I'm actually using the internet on it.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
My computer has no microphone, yes physicially doesn't have one. Good luck with that eavesdropping. And my phone is not connected to the internet apart from the few minute when I'm actually using the internet on it.

No Mic? No problem. They'll track you with cookies.

Definitely not just an Apple thing, but, they're the subject of the news article.

If you are receiving cellular signal then you are transmitting data.

I haven't heard of cookies eavesdropping on sex yet.

But they know every site you visit, every word you type, everything you do on the internet. Even personal documents on your computer, that never get uploaded. Nothing is safe. Nothing is private.

I've occasionally felt that a nearby mic should be physically disabled.
Though I've not yet thought of anything less invasive than swamping
out the condensor by switching in a large value capacitor in parallel.
Mic still live, but tone jammed at full mud.

I mean, you probably can't remove it or cut traces. Just putting tape
over the damn thing isn't going to do anything. For unknown reason
the cheap ones have remained through hole, so would expect leads
to be exposed on the back. Where you might add the swamp.

like this
On several occasions i have showed my wife ads on my phone of things we talked about but never bought. One day we talked about giordano's pizza and i pulled up youtube on my phone like 5-10 later and bingo an ad for giordano's was the first thing on my screen, and mind you its extremely rare that we eat let alone talk about their pizza. Always listening.

siri is suppose to make your life easier by replacing another person with 3p contractor...geez

Nothing is safe. Nothing is private.

Keep that mindset when you do things. It's easier. You'll find ways and places to be more private. There is never 100%, but the hidden via obscurity (why would they listen to me) and taking precautions (private location away from cameras/mics) is pretty much the best you can do if you're paranoid about it.

I find it odd that if I get up at 2am to get a drink of water, the phone on the counter lights up from the sound of the running water in the sink. :shifty:

I don't use any voice assistant either.

Should be no surprise to anyone. Amazon said earlier this year they employ thousands to listen in on Echos. Your Smart TV have voice command? Better take it apart and disconnect the mic. I gave up worrying about privacy. Likely a dozen or more internet connected cameras saw my face today. Bank, gas station, grocery, etc.

My wife and I have on numerous occasions talked about something with our phones sitting near by and then later received ads for the very same things we were talking about. My wife wasn't really aware of it until I pointed it out to her. Now she sees it and is surprised.

Groundhog Day. I have seen this headline several times before, just with other assistant names in place of Siri. IIRC, even Barbie got in on the act.

Why are people only freaked at the devices that talk back? Pretty much why I assume Google didn't pursue voice aggressively. Just enough if you really want it, it's there. They rather have you lulled into a false sense of comfort.

Oh I really hate this topic.
I do not like the intrusion.
I recently installed a Wyze cam in my home to watch my pet bearded dragon.
In the interface I muted the microphone, but I know that doesn't work.
LA LA LA LA LA LA LA fingers in ears LA LA

LARGE BLACK DILDOS
LARGE BLACK DILDOS
LARGE BLACK DILDOS
LARGE BLACK DILDOS

There. Let's see if that sets anything off.

Thanks to YeuEmMaiMai

I like how they'll no longer use contractors, and keep it in house, to limit future whistle-blowers. There really is no such thing as privacy anymore.

There is still such a thing as privacy, there's just no one getting enraged enough to do anything about it.

And even if there was, that person would probably be assassinated by one of these corporations.

This reminds me of when I worked for a wireless company as a manager , our technician kept his phone is a makeshift Faraday cage when traveling in his car.

His response was just because the phone is off doesn't mean in can't be pinged for GPS location(need warrant to do).

Apparently it can be powered up without you turning it on and the power cycle is not noticeable.

Last edited:
like this
Dunno, I put my phone in a sealed metal bucket with braid gasket and robocalls still ring.
Wasn't trying to silence the phone, but quiet the lab of anything that would interfere with
another RF measurement.

Unplugged microwave oven leaks even worse. We got a real Faraday box now, I havn't
yet tried. But the door jams don't look like they were even trying. Wet blanket works best.
Dissipative wins over reflective, certainly from 2GHz up...

Didn't try putting a water bottle inside the metal bucket. That might be worth another go.

The only privacy you have with one is through obscurity...e.g. nobody cares what you have to say because you aren't important.
This is very true. privacy advocates are up there with tin foil hat people. But worse they are hypocrites because they often give up there own privacy yet some how feel entitled to not have anyone involved when using something like siri. That is just stupid thinking.

This reminds me of when I worked for a wireless company as a manager , our technician kept his phone is a makeshift Faraday cage when traveling in his car.

His response was just because the phone is off doesn't mean in can't be pinged for GPS location(need warrant to do).

Apparently it can be powered up without you turning it on and the power cycle is not noticeable.

IIRC - early in the smartphone era before iPhones had numbers, there were reports of US folks traveling in Europe who had turned their phones off to avoid the rather high roaming charges only to find when they got home they were on the hook for thousands in roaming data charges after their phones came on while in Europe and decided now was a good time to get that new update. Off is rarely off anymore. It is just a state of pretending to be off.

On several occasions i have showed my wife ads on my phone of things we talked about but never bought. One day we talked about giordano's pizza and i pulled up youtube on my phone like 5-10 later and bingo an ad for giordano's was the first thing on my screen, and mind you its extremely rare that we eat let alone talk about their pizza. Always listening.

What you need to do after discovering this is start bitching really loudly about being spied on. I had a similar scenario happen in my house as well and after seeing the glut of ads and related youtube videos I started screaming about it. Wouldn't you know I didn't receive any more related content after my outburst?

Back