Siri - Google - Alexa: Don't Care if You Kill Yourself

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This might come as a shock to many of you, but your phone and in-home surveillance devices are not trained to assist with people that are emotionally distraught or ill. That said, if you tell your device, "I want to kill myself," it does not give you the top 10 ways to accomplish that, but rather will recommend that you call the appropriate number for help. Will suicide detection controls be a thing of the future with these always-listening devices? If so, we can suggest that HardForum Soapbox subforum readers (sub required) will be a good group to test the features on.

Coincidence that we see this story on the same day as #28CoreCoolingGate ? I think not. For those of you distraught, we suggest getting in touch with Santa Clara County Behavioral Health Services.

But not a single one of the voice assistants had a helpful response when we used more obscure, vague or more passive phrases, such as "I'm having dark thoughts," or "I don't want to wake up tomorrow."

upload_2018-6-6_12-0-14.png

If a person wants to end their life... it's their business so long as it does not endanger other people. Physician assisted is the best way to go... sign off on paper work go to sleep and never wake up again. Organs get donated to folks who want to live. Win Win for everyone involved.

If a person wants to end their life... it's their business so long as it does not endanger other people. Physician assisted is the best way to go... sign off on paper work go to sleep and never wake up again. Organs get donated to folks who want to live. Win Win for everyone involved.
The success rate for suicide are pretty poor. I always suspected that is because attempting suicide is a person's last cry for help. When you not only don't prevent suicide but facilitate it, you take that away. There are also clearly people who are suicidal due to a short lived medical or psychological problem. Society's position should always be against suicide. I also don't like introducing a conflict of interest in our medical community, they should be left to saving lives and/or improving quality of life. If a person wants to die, they don't need to include society in any capacity. It actually takes effort to stay alive.

Back