Sins of a Solar Empire II

Agreed. I don't understand why it matters. Nothing wrong with Epic.

Where to begin? I bought the first game direct from the devs/publisher aka Stardock. DRM free. I own Rebellion on Steam and GoG. If they don't bring it to Steam and GoG... well, they can get bent. Epic won't do modding nor multiplayer right. Modding is what has kept this game alive and letting them make money selling DLCs for the game in the past 5-6 years.

I was all stoked when I saw this announcement and instantly saddened that it was Epic exclusive. Stardock is clearly in trouble, this isn't their first Epic exclusive. GalCiv4 is on Epic only for now.

That's... a whole heap of assumptions, yikes.

I'm excited for it. Won't be a day-1 kind of purchase, but, I'll definitely pick it up and play the hell out of it.

Who cares?
I have no desire to manage my games through multiple different platforms, most of which inferior to Steam at this point. I think their "exclusive" model is generally shady and bad for consumers. The fact that Tencent owns %45 of Epic doesn't give me the warm fuzzies either.

It is what it is, I'm not the kind of person to run around shouting how Epic is the devil. I just don't buy games on their platform. I understand the lure for developers.

The one upside of getting old and playing fewer games is that I have no problem waiting for exclusivity deals to expire or just skipping games entirely. I have a lot of nostalgia for Sins from years of Lan parties, but it's not going to kill me to ignore it entirely. My only major gripe with the exclusivity period is the games then launch on Steam at full price, which I'm not paying for a game that released 6+ months ago. So then I have to wait another 6+ months for a Steam sale lol.

Last edited:
My problem with Epic is cloud saves, they always fuck up and I play games on multiple devices.

My only major gripe with the exclusivity period is the games then launch on Steam at full price, which I'm not pay for a game that released 6+ months ago. So then I have to wait another 6+ months for a Steam sale lol.

Yup, it gives the game makers a second shot at full price sales.

I cannot wait for this to be fully released. I'm terrible at these games but it's oddly satisfying watching my empire getv it's teeth kicked in 🤣

I have. It's a very very early alpha at this stage but still surprisingly fun for a couple of games. Mostly a technical preview showing what their new core neutral engine is capable of and some of the new ideas they have in store, like orbiting planets and dynamic space lanes. On my system it ran flawlessly. People have been having fun pushing the engine to its limits spawning insane amounts of ships. I particularity likes how every projectiles and turrets seems to be simulated now. The potential for an amazing game is there. The mods that will come out of this will be insane.

One of the reason they gave for releasing such an early alpha is to get as much feedback as possible as early as possible in the development cycle. So if you'd like to influence this game, now's a good time to hop in. Their Discord is very active with dev interactions.

Back