Single to dualcore

Makaveli@BETA

2[H]4U
just have a quick question for u you guys.

I just bought a Opteron 170 to replace my 146. Can I just drop this in or do I have to reinstall windows or do repair install?

When I installed my dual core Opteron 165 coming from single core, I simply dropped it in and windows did the necessary changes to the system. After which I restarted the system and that was that. No reinstalls or sorts needed.

In my case, i've been using dual core for awhile now... I haven't used a program that required me to install any of those fixes due to issues. However, some other people have had issues using dual core. So I would say to not apply any fixes until a issue arises and then you should try those fixes. (AKA, lazy route :))

Edit: Also, i'm assuming that your motherboard supports dual core. If not, more than likely you'll just need to update your bios.

ok just got home, the stepping opteron I got is a CCBBE 0615DPMW.

my current 146 is doing 2.7 right now pretty easy. Have never pushed this chip past 2.8 plus I like to run CnQ. So i'm expecting this 170 to do 2.7 or maybe higher will find out in a few days. not sure i'm gonna install this 2night or 2morrow.

decided to install tonight , So far I played CS Source for a good 2 hours solid, seems to run abit smoother. Just needed one reboot after booting up the chip, left my overclock and CnQ on.

ok just got home, the stepping opteron I got is a CCBBE 0615DPMW.

my current 146 is doing 2.7 right now pretty easy. Have never pushed this chip past 2.8 plus I like to run CnQ. So i'm expecting this 170 to do 2.7 or maybe higher will find out in a few days. not sure i'm gonna install this 2night or 2morrow.
You run CnQ when overclocked? I thought that was a no no. Any issues?

Yes sir, on the 146 with CnQ on I would idle at 1.35ghz and 1.09 vcore and full load at 2.7. Ran fine no issues. So far have left all the settings the same and system is running fine. Need to test more games than CS S tho.

ok after a few days of testing i'm loving this processor. its slightly better on the voltage side than my 146. I am able to run 2.7 at stock voltage on this cpu, the 146 required 1.4v.
Think it has more to do with the steppin tho, both good but one seems to be slightly better.

I also just added a X-fi Music extreme to my system. i was kinda worried after seeing all the issues in the creative forums and elsewhere. After uninstalling my audigy 1 then driver cleaner, and installing the new card and updated drivers, it awesome. Sound quality is clearly better, and love what it does to Mp3's when u turn on the X-fi Crystalizer.

Funny thing is I went to canadacomputers looking for the Ati Tv wonder 650, they didn't have any and didn't want to leave empty handed so picked up the soundcard. Was a good decision.

Does anyone know what is up the the Tv wonder 650. I know there was a recall for a transistor, but that should have been fixed up by now. Yet its not in stock anywhere. all stores show Backorder, and even tho www.canadacomputers.com shows they have stock on the site they don't.

hey guys i'm 3/4 done a 10 hr encode, and i'm doing 55C full load on a XP90 + 92MM 48CFM fan. Should I bother to considering a better air cooler to try and get load temp to 50c or below. Or just leave it be?

i'm at 2.7ghz at Stock voltage.

hey guys i'm 3/4 done a 10 hr encode, and i'm doing 55C full load on a XP90 + 92MM 48CFM fan. Should I bother to considering a better air cooler to try and get load temp to 50c or below. Or just leave it be?

i'm at 2.7ghz at Stock voltage.

Just leave it, you are not in any kind of danger.

Back