Single Software License Shared 774,651 Times

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article, a single license for Avast security software was used by almost 775,000 people. In other news, almost three quarters of a million people are unaware that Microsoft Security Essentials is free.

“We found our licence code at a number of warez sites around the globe,” said Vince Steckler, chief executive of Avast Software. “There is a paradox in computer users looking for ‘free’ antivirus programs at locations with a known reputation for spreading malware.”

Haha, my thoughts exactly. MSE is a game changer for consumer virus protection. No longer am I forced to purchase anti-virus software for my home PCs and/or maintain a maintenance license.

I used to use AVG Free, but MSE is just as free and integrates better with the user interface...

It's like people pirating daemon-tools, it's free omg!!!

774,651 people mentioned in the OP that were using AVG. 3 quarters of a million people not using MSE.

Get it?

Avast.. not AVG...

And there are a lot more than 3/4 million people that needlessly pay for anti-virus software.

You people appear to be missing the main point... people are using a license code found on warez site for a paid program when they can get MSE for free which does a pretty good job.

You people appear to be missing the main point... people are using a license code found on warez site for a paid program when they can get MSE for free which does a pretty good job.

As well as when there's an AVAST free, without copying any serial ;).

lol, doesn't beat the famous XP Key a.k.a "the d3v1L's own"

All one had to recollect was RHQQ2, and BAM, you got the rest. nam sayin?

I believe it has been said that piracy is actually the greatest obstacle in the adoption of freeware/open source alternatives or even smaller "start ups" to many established commercial products. I believe corporations like Microsoft, Adobe and etc, have implied in the past they prefer piracy of their products to maintain market share rather then people adopting alternatives.

“There is a paradox in computer users looking for ‘free’ antivirus programs at locations with a known reputation for spreading malware.”

yup, gotta wonder how many had a "serial # generator" that would install virus for ya :rolleyes:

I think those "sites" have a reputation for spreading malware because that's what the software industry tells us they do.

Seriously it's just retarded. Avast free is what I use, and the paid version gives you... what?? some minor sandboxing capability and a few other extras thrown in??? There's no good reason to pirate avast with the amount of functionality the free one gives you.

eh, if anything it points out how annoying the avast daily popups are.
granted it is free, but I uninstalled it and went with MSE for that reason.

Article said:
Avast noticed that a license for its paid-for security software, sold to a 14-user firm in Arizona, was being distributed online. Rather than shut down the piracy, the company decided to see how far the software would spread.

Mmhmm. Who wants to bet that .75 million people had full functionality and only after it was discovered was it turned into an experiment "to see how far it went."

we wouldn't need either if the penalty for creating, concealing, and distributing malware , trojans, viruses , etc. was 25 years no parole...1 or 2 convictions would be enough to put a big damper on such activities

we wouldn't need either if the penalty for creating, concealing, and distributing malware , trojans, viruses , etc. was 25 years no parole...1 or 2 convictions would be enough to put a big damper on such activities

No it wouldn't, for a variety of reasons. Firstly, most of that stuff is written in other countries. Secondly, there's a ton of money surrounding compromised computers. Lastly, the stuff is really easy to create.

I think those "sites" have a reputation for spreading malware because that's what the software industry tells us they do.

x10000

if there is a universal looking batch file in a zip file that doesn't have a txt file with it or an icon then you deserve what happens for clicking it. on top of that even that is fairly rare.

or so i am told by friends of friends. (i do try to buy or use freeware)

eh, if anything it points out how annoying the avast daily popups are.
granted it is free, but I uninstalled it and went with MSE for that reason.

I dunno what program you're talking about, It isn't Avast free. There's no popups or nagging at all.

775,000 is over three quarters of a million people. :D

775,000 is not "almost" three quarters of a million. :D

You two are being overly pedantic. Almost means very nearly, as in not exactly three quarters of a million. Almost does not necessarily indicate less than, only usually.

Or maybe Steve was saying that some people know it's free and chose to pirate anyway...

No. In other news, almost three quarters of a million people are unaware that there is a Avast Free too.
http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

Avast anti-virus is a pretty darn good product.

When they were a new company I purchased a SanDisk USB flash drive with a demo version of Avast for U3 on it. I was dealing with a customers computer with a NASTY virus, that none of the expensive virus scanners could find. I tried Avast on my USB drive and it found the virus instantly and resurrected the defunct PC. I have been using it ever since on my Windoze PCs.

YES, and the home version is F R E E and it always has been.

Anyone running MSE on corporate workstations?

You can only use it on up to 10 computers... otherwise you'd need to use Forefront (per MS's licensing). I had it on my work laptop for a bit before we switched over to webroot.

You can only use it on up to 10 computers... otherwise you'd need to use Forefront (per MS's licensing). I had it on my work laptop for a bit before we switched over to webroot.

MSE is not to be used in Enterprise enviro's per the EULA.

THat is what Forefront is for. All though it is retardedly expensive.

You two are being overly pedantic. Almost means very nearly, as in not exactly three quarters of a million. Almost does not necessarily indicate less than, only usually.

Or maybe Steve was saying that some people know it's free and chose to pirate anyway...

Almost most certainly means less than. It's not being pedantic to be correct and precise. Pedantic is trying to justify someone elses error by changing the meaning of a word to what would suit your argument better. When you travel to your relatives for Christmas and completely drive past the intended city you can tell those travelling with you that you are 'almost' there.

Ever since I've gotten MSE, I won't go back to any other virus software. Microsoft just fucked the virus industry with MSE. Let's watch the class-action ensue. This will be like explorer all over again.

Well when a product is called AVAST! You'd think that pirating would be assumed to be a given.

I dunno what program you're talking about, It isn't Avast free. There's no popups or nagging at all.

I think he is thinking of Avira, not Avast. Avast is the gimmicky one that you can skin like WinAmp (LOL, skin an AV proggy... ok).
avira.png

Back