Single slot water blocks

jb1

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone,
I'm interested in placing two GPUs side by side with single slot water blocks, effectively getting two GPUs into a space with the thickness normally occupied by one. However, in the design I'm planning, won't have any more space on either side of the GPUs for tubing, only above. With water blocks like these:

5_%20EKFC-R9-Fury-X_NP_fit_1200.jpg

is it possible to orient the input/output flow valves so they point upward, rather than to the side? I know that you can use angled adapters to orient tubing upwards, but those will just out from the side of the GPU, making them not viable in a design that can only hold something 2 PCI slots thick.

I've seen some older Bitspower full cover blocks with the ports on the side (or top, if you like), but they were thicker than single-slot. You can't do the ports that way on a single-slot block for a simple reason: the block can only be around 14mm thick, which isn't enough for a G1/4 threaded port.

I've seen some older Bitspower full cover blocks with the ports on the side (or top, if you like), but they were thicker than single-slot. You can't do the ports that way on a single-slot block for a simple reason: the block can only be around 14mm thick, which isn't enough for a G1/4 threaded port.

Ah, that makes sense. Might it be possible to machine something that would connect two blocks together with ports on the top? This way you could still use G1/4 threaded ports since you'd have the thickness of two cards to work with.

@jb1: I can’t believe you’re hijacking my build! lol I’m building something pretty similar except I actually need the terminals on the side. However, what I don’t have is an FC terminal from EK which allows me to sandwich the two cards together without a gap in between. The closest they have is a FB Terminal Dual Parallel block which I have purchased just to see how it’s designed and it’s super simple. My next step is to design something similar but remove the extra width of the block to take away the gap. I’m still waiting for my CNC machine to start cutting it from acetal.

In your case, you would need the exact same thing, except have the inlet/outlet at the very top which is a slight modification of my block. I would be happy to make one for you as well when I get my CNC machine.

My biggest headache now is getting a custom 92mm square columned radiator. I feel like that one is gonna be a nightmare to achieve. Oh, and of course, still waiting on the 700w SFX-L power supply from Silverstone.

@chemist_slime: Haha, it seems so! For the first time ever it seems like it's possible to have top of the line SLI/CrossFire in something sub ~8L. Really exciting to see that someone else is trying something similar. In my case I want to have the two GPUs and the radiator to lie adjacent to one another, and then the tubing would travel directly above the GPUs and then slide between the GPU and the radiator and travel to a pump/reservoir below.

I would definitely be interested the custom terminal! Let me know how I can help! Would be happy to pay for materials, etc. too.

@chemist_slime: Haha, it seems so! For the first time ever it seems like it's possible to have top of the line SLI/CrossFire in something sub ~8L. Really exciting to see that someone else is trying something similar. In my case I want to have the two GPUs and the radiator to lie adjacent to one another, and then the tubing would travel directly above the GPUs and then slide between the GPU and the radiator and travel to a pump/reservoir below.

I would definitely be interested the custom terminal! Let me know how I can help! Would be happy to pay for materials, etc. too.

Yea, I'm going to be first designing my own, maybe this week, put it up for critique on [H]. Then we'll take it from there. :)

Are you planning to put Dual Fury X's?

@jb1: I can’t believe you’re hijacking my build! lol I’m building something pretty similar except I actually need the terminals on the side. However, what I don’t have is an FC terminal from EK which allows me to sandwich the two cards together without a gap in between. The closest they have is a FB Terminal Dual Parallel block which I have purchased just to see how it’s designed and it’s super simple. My next step is to design something similar but remove the extra width of the block to take away the gap. I’m still waiting for my CNC machine to start cutting it from acetal.

In your case, you would need the exact same thing, except have the inlet/outlet at the very top which is a slight modification of my block. I would be happy to make one for you as well when I get my CNC machine.

My biggest headache now is getting a custom 92mm square columned radiator. I feel like that one is gonna be a nightmare to achieve. Oh, and of course, still waiting on the 700w SFX-L power supply from Silverstone.

Guys, maybe that can help you:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1563907/build-log-unit-3-1-tri-sli-matx/10#post_24165622

I have searched for such solution myself. My Ncase M1 is still waiting for the release of Fury Nano and Fury X2. Let's see what would be a better solution. Be warned though, tha the flow in the lower card will be weaker due to the parallel connection of the waterblocks.

Guys, maybe that can help you:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1563907/build-log-unit-3-1-tri-sli-matx/10#post_24165622

I have searched for such solution myself. My Ncase M1 is still waiting for the release of Fury Nano and Fury X2. Let's see what would be a better solution. Be warned though, tha the flow in the lower card will be weaker due to the parallel connection of the waterblocks.

DUDE!!! I was looking for something like this and didn't find any! I'm going to buy two and see if it'll work for me. But it does increase the width by 4mm, not sure if that'll give me enough width, the width tolerance of this and my column radiator is really close, it may work but only barely!

DUDE!!! I was looking for something like this and didn't find any! I'm going to buy two and see if it'll work for me. But it does increase the width by 4mm, not sure if that'll give me enough width, the width tolerance of this and my column radiator is really close, it may work but only barely!

By the way, that linked build is not mine. I was also curious about the temps and asked about it in the thread, but no answer so far from the owner.

Yea, I'm going to be first designing my own, maybe this week, put it up for critique on [H]. Then we'll take it from there. :)

Are you planning to put Dual Fury X's?

Well, this is good news that someone else has done something like this! Still hope you might try out making your own though, although I may be a little biased ;)

Planning on R9 Nano's I think. Also curious about your build though... your design might be better than my current plan, which is dual R9 Nano's in the eventual Dondan A4 with a single 120mm radiator.

Ah, now your description of laying the radiator flat next to the GPU makes complete sense.

I'm still going to try and make the sandwich terminal slot. It's much more elegant than having them linked the way they are above. :) All yours would require is drilling two holes at the very top instead of the side.

Hi everyone,
I'm interested in placing two GPUs side by side with single slot water blocks, effectively getting two GPUs into a space with the thickness normally occupied by one. However, in the design I'm planning, won't have any more space on either side of the GPUs for tubing, only above.

is it possible to orient the input/output flow valves so they point upward, rather than to the side? I know that you can use angled adapters to orient tubing upwards, but those will just out from the side of the GPU, making them not viable in a design that can only hold something 2 PCI slots thick.

This is interesting problem but as far as I can tell there is no such solution. My knowledge is based on the information gathered, I am building dual Titan X single slot with possibility of expanding it to 7 cards and looked into all kind of coolers and connectors (deciding for Aquacomputer in the end). The only solution would be to machine itself. If I would be faced with this problem I would use Aquacomputer connector for three cards with single slot spacing for two cards and cut it for two cards, then making holes with threads on the top. Similar thing is possible with the Watercool connector maybe even easier since there is more place on the top. Of course in both case one would have to acquire watercoolers from the same brand.

Last edited:
Ah, now your description of laying the radiator flat next to the GPU makes complete sense.

I'm still going to try and make the sandwich terminal slot. It's much more elegant than having them linked the way they are above. :) All yours would require is drilling two holes at the very top instead of the side.

That's great to hear! Looking forward to seeing your design

Didn't get the chance to work on it this weekend. I was installing 2 of the EK waterblocks onto the PNY 970s and one of the stand-offs somehow snapped off. I contacted EK and will need to send it back to get it repaired. :(

Nice! Do you have an idea of how you'll get the 92mm custom rads made?

Nope, need to find a maker source but I know I can design it in sketchup first. I'm looking at the EK predator for inspiration as well. Says it'll arrive on the 23rd of September. Do you know off any company who would make one?

Back