Single player game recommendation?

Koslov

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been away from the 'gaming scene' for awhile. I just got a new laptop with 3GB ram and a 8600M GT 256mb, Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz etc.

Is there any good relatively new single player games worth playing (2005-2008)?
I'm open to pretty much anything except RTS...I like FPS/action type and RPGs.

Bioshock but I dunno about that 8600M GT:(

It'll run decently, but I never tried DX10 mode. In Bioshock it doesn't make a big difference anyway. Be sure to get the patch, since it fixes a bunch of bugs and adds a few small things. The game is a lot of the fun though.

As far as RPGs go, the best one released recently is The Witcher. There's a large content patch being released online and in stores as a gold version in May (I think).

X2 ^^

Seriously.

The Orange box will keep you set for a while.
Half-Life 2 in one of the absolute best game series I have ever played in my whole gaming life.
I could not recommend it more.

You get 4 great singleplayer games:
HL2
HL2: Episode 1
HL2: Episode 2
Portal

1 Multiplayer game:
Team Fortress 2

Other then The Orange Box,
My next recommendation would be either Call of Duty 4 or Gears of War

Second Bioshock, it will run fine on that setup, it scales pretty nicely, hell I ran it on my girlfriends Athlon XP 2200, 2gb, 6800gt with high settings at 1280x1024

I must say I thought the COD4 single player campaign was a lot of fun...very hollywood movie like...
FEAR was good but maybe a little outdated now...
Oblivion is fun and will keep you busy for quite a while...
I am playing Bioshock at the moment, and I am not sure yet if I like it or not...

I've been away from the 'gaming scene' for awhile. I just got a new laptop with 3GB ram and a 8600M GT 256mb, Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz etc.

Is there any good relatively new single player games worth playing (2005-2008)?
I'm open to pretty much anything except RTS...I like FPS/action type and RPGs.

You should try STALKER, Oblivion, FEAR. STALKER probably takes the top spot of my recommendation.

The Witcher is a great RPG. Im on act IV right now, but its amazing so far.

I believe you can pick up Quake 4 and GTA San Andreas for $20 or less. Prey is also available in the same price range, though not as good as the previous two games.

neverwinter nights maybe? you can pick it up for like 15 at amazon... idk if it was mentioned or not lol.,

Why are people recommending CoD4. He's asking for a single player game. ~5 hours is a little short to make the recommendation don't you think?

The Witcher
Stalker
Oblivion
Bioshock
Neverwinter Nights 2
Orange box
Call of duty 4

COD4 has a very short singleplayer but it is fun, if you want a good singleplayer get crysis if your computer can handle it.

Back