Single player game recommendation?

Koslov

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been away from the 'gaming scene' for awhile. I just got a new laptop with 3GB ram and a 8600M GT 256mb, Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz etc.

Is there any good relatively new single player games worth playing (2005-2008)?
I'm open to pretty much anything except RTS...I like FPS/action type and RPGs.

Ozymandias

[H]ard|Gawd
Bioshock but I dunno about that 8600M GT:(

It'll run decently, but I never tried DX10 mode. In Bioshock it doesn't make a big difference anyway. Be sure to get the patch, since it fixes a bunch of bugs and adds a few small things. The game is a lot of the fun though.

As far as RPGs go, the best one released recently is The Witcher. There's a large content patch being released online and in stores as a gold version in May (I think).

Ron FTL

[H]ard|Gawd
X2 ^^

Seriously.

The Orange box will keep you set for a while.
Half-Life 2 in one of the absolute best game series I have ever played in my whole gaming life.
I could not recommend it more.

You get 4 great singleplayer games:
HL2
HL2: Episode 1
HL2: Episode 2
Portal

1 Multiplayer game:
Team Fortress 2

Other then The Orange Box,
My next recommendation would be either Call of Duty 4 or Gears of War

CodeX

2[H]4U
Second Bioshock, it will run fine on that setup, it scales pretty nicely, hell I ran it on my girlfriends Athlon XP 2200, 2gb, 6800gt with high settings at 1280x1024

Gigantism

Gawd
I must say I thought the COD4 single player campaign was a lot of fun...very hollywood movie like...
FEAR was good but maybe a little outdated now...
Oblivion is fun and will keep you busy for quite a while...
I am playing Bioshock at the moment, and I am not sure yet if I like it or not...

Silus

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been away from the 'gaming scene' for awhile. I just got a new laptop with 3GB ram and a 8600M GT 256mb, Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz etc.

Is there any good relatively new single player games worth playing (2005-2008)?
I'm open to pretty much anything except RTS...I like FPS/action type and RPGs.

You should try STALKER, Oblivion, FEAR. STALKER probably takes the top spot of my recommendation.

Draax

Supreme [H]ardness
The Witcher is a great RPG. Im on act IV right now, but its amazing so far.

tickle_me_emo

[H]ard|Gawd
I believe you can pick up Quake 4 and GTA San Andreas for $20 or less. Prey is also available in the same price range, though not as good as the previous two games.

Malikman

[H]ard|Gawd
neverwinter nights maybe? you can pick it up for like 15 at amazon... idk if it was mentioned or not lol.,

Chombo

2[H]4U
Why are people recommending CoD4. He's asking for a single player game. ~5 hours is a little short to make the recommendation don't you think?

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
The Witcher
Stalker
Oblivion
Bioshock
Neverwinter Nights 2
Orange box
Call of duty 4

Lt.Col.Dehler

Limp Gawd
COD4 has a very short singleplayer but it is fun, if you want a good singleplayer get crysis if your computer can handle it.