single platter HDD recommendations?

SinShiva

Limp Gawd
As of this post, it's 24oct2012, est. If I wanted only two single platter drives in raid0, what's the maximum platter density available? I once had hitachi 7k1000.c's, 500gb single platter drives that kicked ass. I know at the time, there were the samsung f3s, which i'd have gotten, but we're unavailable at the time (reviews on newegg indicate that the current f3s are repackaged seagates under the f3 label, true? And offer less than stellar performance.) As well as a variant of western digital.

What are modern equivalents? I had 4x500gb single platters in r0, and they worked superbly til the day I had to part with the machine. For media storage, I want to continue using single platter drives, but I am unaware of recent advances in this market.

Thanks.

[edit] 1st contender - HGST/HITACHI 7K1000.D aka 0F13180 - 1tb platter

Last edited:
At least some of the HGST drives have 1TB platters for sure. I just recently picked up one of these with a single platter. I'm pretty happy with it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
very nice; i know Hitachi is going by HGST now, but i saw that HGST is 'A Western Digital Company' at that link, have things changed a lot or is this how it always was? cool drive, though. what's the throughput like on it, out of curiousity? got some hdtune benchies? :) i figured the highest density was going to be in the region of 750gb platters, so this exceeds my expectations. After my first run with hitachi, i'm definitely willing to stick with them. that's an exciting hdd, heh.

Hitachi drives go by "Toshiba" now. Long story, fallout from buyout, WDC slurped up the enterprise assets and were forced by anti-trust to hand over most of the desktop class production to Toshiba.

There's already a few Toshiba threads here on the forum. New 1TB/platter Toshiba series is DT01ACAx00, Superbiiz seems to have some in stock but I'd wait until a few more places get them since I've heard 1 or 2 complaints about improper packing from Superbiiz. It's worth noting the 3TB version is only double the price of the 1TB version.

Back