Single Nvidia 295 GTX for Nvidia Surround (Non SLI Mobo)

Davido

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I wanted to know if I would be able to run a Nvidia 2d surround setup with a single 295 GTX on a non sli capable motherboard (Abit IP35). I'm trying to find the cheapest and most efficient to run 2d surround until I build a new pc sometime next year. I have a LG L246wp and 2x Dell 2407wfp monitors. Does anyone know if the 295gtx would out perform a 5850 and 5870 at 5670x1200 resolution? Are there any benchmarks for this? I also don't need to have AA or AF on, just max resolution with settings on HIGH/MED. What are your recommendations? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Also a note for you GTX 295 owners. There are two versions of the GeForce GTX 295 card. One card version has two DVI and one HDMI connectors, the other version has two DVI connectors. The card with DVI and one HDMI does work in 3D Vision Surround but only with 3D projectors. It does not work with 3D Vision-Ready LCDs since they require three dual-link DVI connectors on the GPU, which are only available when you are running SLI (two cards).

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/06/29/nvidia_3d_vision_surround_experience/

Edit: I'll note that you are not looking to do 3D, just 2D. The LG L246wp is HDMI only, and the Dell 2407WFP uses DVI, and all three monitors are only 60Hz. So if you managed to find the uncommon sort of GTX 295, plugged the LG into the HDMI and the Dells into the DVIs, that could in theory work.

And in fact, Nvidia's spec page for 2D and 3D surround states that the 2DVI/1HDMI version of the GTX 295 will do 2D surround (but not 3D surround except for projectors).

Difficulty: actually finding a 2DVI/1HDMI GTX 295.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I've seen a single GTX275 dual PCB card running 3 x 1920 x 1080 monitors in 2D surround and the results showed the card to be faster than a single 5870, in many benchmarks I'd say the card was as fast as single 5970.

I'm currently running two GTX275's in surround and the results I'm achieving are simply amazing - In many games I can even crank the AA/AF and I still don't drop under 60fps.

I already bit the bullet on a 5870. Hope I dont regret it. It seemed to be nearly impossible to find any information a single 295 gtx 2d surround setup. Thanks for the info guys!!!!

Back