single-borad Linux

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
I'm trying to find a single-board computer that supports Linux, has an Ethernet port, and an RS-232 port. I need something that has an Ethernet and TCP/IP stack on it; DHCP client and sockets is all I need.

I thought this would be a little easier, but ...

I've found a couple board that come close, but either don't have RS-232 or are a little too big (because of lots of additional features, usually) for my tastes.

Anything anyone can recommend?

Need both. I'm thinking I might get by with an Ethernet-to-serial converter, though ...

I think I've got some good plans for just using a Ethernet-to-serial converter. Thanks for the ideas, though.

The WiSnapM1 is a contender, too. It's a WiFi to Serial converter.

Mikeblas, I was looking through your posts for one you made a while back and I saw this. Hope I can help.

I have used ARM single-board computers from EMAC, Inc (emacinc.com). and embeddedarm.com. Both companies have models with both ethernet and RS-232 support. embeddedarm usually puts Debian on their boards while EMAC usually puts some rather vanilla variety of Linux on theirs.

Thanks, N_C.

I ended up getting the M1 and it works great so far for testing. I'll finish this project with it, and I think I'll be fine. If I get any feedback or encouragement and want to make another version, I'll probably want to have some brains on the box, and not just drive it through the RS232-wifi gateway from a host.

I'll poke around at those sites and see what I can find. Thanks!

Back