single 980 enough for BF4 at 3440x1440?

eclypse

2[H]4U
Debating which new screen to buy and stuck on those crazy 34" 3440x1440P screens currently but wondering how the performace hit will be gaming on a single 980?

Gota figure all this out before bringing it up to the wife :rolleyes:

I think you would want dual GPUs.
GTX980 is no slouch but neither is that resolution.

Yeah, these questions are always fun. I use 150% scaling on 1920x1200 with 4xMSAA and high post (ultra everything) and I get 60fps locked. 150% happens to be 5.1 M pixels. 3440x1440 is 4.9M...

You should be fine with a single GPU if you're fine with 4xMSAA and high post with no scaling. Honestly I'd probably do 2xMFAA (4xMSAA equivilant at 20% less performance hit IIRC) and a little bit of scaling personally. Scaling plus a little bit of AA really cleans up grass and building edges in games. This is assuming you do an average OC on the card (at least 1450 MHz which practically all cards have no issues doing.) DSR is fantastic. Not sure if that's working in SLi.

I've been looking at those monitors too... A curved one would be pretty sweet. I can't really say why, my epeen fancies it I suppose.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I trust you on this Dayaks, normally my gut just tells me that such a high resolution wouldnt work.

Well, a second would ensure you're locked at 60fps. I'm personally ok with being around it.

I just read what the scaling factor meant on a different forum so I was serious about my logic being flawed. The [H] review reinforced my math though.

OP can just take off 20% from the average FPS in that review to get a ball park. Some games do get a little low. BF4 just isn't super intense.

Last edited:
Sweet.. Was hoping it would get me in the game for a few. I mean it cant be as stressful as 4k.

Yeah i'm in between monitors atm. Currently have a Asus 24" 144Hz monitor that I have a week left before my 30 days are up at microcenter. Just feels cramped as always at 1080.

Was thinking about that Asus 27" ROG Swift but its really not that much bigger really. Plus $800 for that seems a bit much when for a few more can get me the LG 34" with a crazy 3440x1440.

Going to the wife and saying i'd like a 1K monitor, oh and i'll need another $585 for another 980 to run it would be suicide all at once..

I can see how it is and if I need another card grab it later on.. in the mean time knock down some settings if needed to keep it smooth.

Well how is my logic flawed? I own a 980, if 150% scaling is 5.1M pixels and 3440x1440 is 4.9M pixels why would he not be able to run the same settings?

Edit: here's an [H] review with a 980 pushing a 2560x1600 ultra/4xmsaa/16x/HBAO at 71 FPS. That's 4.1MP vs Op's 4.9MP. Should be about 57 FPS adjusting linearly. http://m.hardocp.com/article/2014/12/29/asus_gtx_980_strix_dc_ii_oc_video_card_review/6#.VOJr99m9Kc0

Anyways OP you could always add a second later...

I have 2 680s which is about the same as a single 980, and I can't play BF4 with 4xAA @ 2560x1440.

I have 2 680s which is about the same as a single 980, and I can't play BF4 with 4xAA @ 2560x1440.

I've been playing around with DSR and I have no problem playing BF4 at that rez on ultra settings. Smooth as 1080 for me.. My 980 is overclocked to 1550+ /8000 mem.

I run Medium, Ultra stuttered too much on my setup.
Also, if you like to text chat after the match, you won't be able to see the entire chat window.
For some reason when the match is over, the interface goes to 16:9 and the chat window is behind the black bars. They need to have the chat window shift over as well, but I don't think they care as I read threads about people complaining over a year now.

Well if you get the monitor please post your results!

There's an interesting mixed bag of posts here. That's why I started my first post with, "Yeah, these questions are always fun." :)

"About the same"? 2GB VRAM in SLI versus 4GB for one card. That pretty much sums up why you're not able to use AA.

Just played some BF4 at 1080 with +150% scaling and I was getting between 60-100 FPS in metro with 64 packed server.. If this is what it will be like.. no freakin problem for my 980!

Now if I can just get the wife on board.. Sounds like its gona take a miracle.

i'm still running a single overclocked 780 ti with my U3415W @ 3440x1440. with maxed settings i'm above 60fps most of the time in BF4. other games are problematic, but i've yet to have any issues with BF4.

i'm still running a single overclocked 780 ti with my U3415W @ 3440x1440. with maxed settings i'm above 60fps most of the time in BF4. other games are problematic, but i've yet to have any issues with BF4.

when you say maxed settings, can you tell me what settings you are using so I can try them out on my single 980 @ 3440x1440.
I tried the default Ultra setting and it didn't play right, felt stuttery.

No a single GPU is not enough, at least not if you turn up everything (except AA) and expect to be 60 fps or above at all times. For that you need dual GPUs to make it work. I've got 980s OC'd to 1500+ with +400 on the memory at 2560 x 1440p + 150% scaling (no MSAA) and while most of the time I'm at 130+ fps (got fps capped at 130 w/gsync), I still sometimes fall as low as 60-70 fps in intense fire fights. So with a single GPU I can see it bottoming out to around 30-40 easily in fire fights.

No a single GPU is not enough, at least not if you turn up everything (except AA) and expect to be 60 fps or above at all times. For that you need dual GPUs to make it work. I've got 980s OC'd to 1500+ with +400 on the memory at 2560 x 1440p + 150% scaling (no MSAA) and while most of the time I'm at 130+ fps (got fps capped at 130 w/gsync), I still sometimes fall as low as 60-70 fps in intense fire fights. So with a single GPU I can see it bottoming out to around 30-40 easily in fire fights.

You're playing at 4k res with that scaling factor, 70% more pixels than 3440x1440 (8.3 vs 4.9 MP). You're right that OP would need two 980s for that image quality as it cuts the FPS in half. Image quality and FPS tolerance is what makes this so "fun".

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/27/battlefield-4-performance-analysis/7

From what I gather OP should definitely be able to be someplace between high and ultra, depending on FPS tolerance.

Last edited:
You're playing at 4k res with that scaling factor, 70% more pixels than 3440x1440 (8.3 vs 4.9 MP). You're right that OP would need two 980s for that image quality as it cuts the FPS in half. Image quality and FPS tolerance is what makes this so "fun".

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/27/battlefield-4-performance-analysis/7

From what I gather OP should definitely be able to be someplace between high and ultra, depending on FPS tolerance.

You're right, for some reason I misread the resolution he wrote as 4K (not enough sleep lately). That's why I specifically mentioned my res + scaling. :eek:

went with a Asus 27" Rog Swift instead.. Real tuff decision and I could not make up my mind in the store. Basicly let the sales women decide for me.. If I had a coin I would of flipped it.

As soon as she said sounds like you should go with the smaller one more fitted for gaming I said ok. hehe

Needed something to push it either way. Besides I felt the 27 was much larger then the 24 I had and being used to high refresh rate i'd prob be more happy.. Also the fact that if I went with the large 34 ultra res and didn't like it I would forsure not like the 27" afterwards hehe.

Anyways.. quick noob question.. Do I have to enable anything to make sure G-Sync is running in my games? Just turn it on in the NVidia control panel or is there also a setting in the game menu??

Like in BF4 I see a setting for V-sync. So I enable that and it will just use g-sync?

Anyways.. feel pretty damn lucky the screen seems fine so far. With all the horror stories I've read online I felt it would be a huge gamble.. hell I even bought a 2 year warranty with microcenter as I felt it would be smarter then dealing with asus down the if something happened.

Also my frame rate in BF4 in ultra settings is only in the 60-80 range mostly while crazy fighting is going on. Might of been the smarter choice over the 34". Most likely would of felt the need for another 980 to get that feeling somewhat smooth... though I would not mind it for this screen hehe.

Anyways.. quick noob question.. Do I have to enable anything to make sure G-Sync is running in my games? Just turn it on in the NVidia control panel or is there also a setting in the game menu??

Like in BF4 I see a setting for V-sync. So I enable that and it will just use g-sync?

It's all in the NVIDIA Control Panel - "Setup G-SYNC."

also the power LED at the bottom right turns red to indicate G-Sync is working

as someone who's owned/owns both (on ROG Swifts now), it's a toss up. Just because the Swift is "only" 16:9 1440p doesn't necessarily make it less immersive - people forget that g-sync and 144hz help make a more fluid experience with less immersion-breaking tearing

I'm running a 2600k @ 4800mhz, 2 G1 980 gtxs in sli, Asus Rog Swift and in Bf4 I run 1440p , Ultra, 2xMsaa, low post, 125% scaling and it looks and plays flawlessly! !!

went with a Asus 27" Rog Swift instead.. Real tuff decision and I could not make up my mind in the store. Basicly let the sales women decide for me.. If I had a coin I would of flipped it.

As soon as she said sounds like you should go with the smaller one more fitted for gaming I said ok. hehe

Needed something to push it either way. Besides I felt the 27 was much larger then the 24 I had and being used to high refresh rate i'd prob be more happy.. Also the fact that if I went with the large 34 ultra res and didn't like it I would forsure not like the 27" afterwards hehe.

Anyways.. feel pretty damn lucky the screen seems fine so far. With all the horror stories I've read online I felt it would be a huge gamble.. hell I even bought a 2 year warranty with microcenter as I felt it would be smarter then dealing with asus down the if something happened.

The ROG Swift is a much better choice because it's got G-Sync support which will ensure you have smooth gameplay even when the fps dips below 60. Good choice and smart woman that recommended it. Enable G-Sync in the NVCP and then turn vsync off in BF4 and other games. G-Sync will automatically kick in and when it does, the light on your display will change from white to red (little light in the bottom right corner).

Only problem with the Swift is that a year from now when you can't max games anymore, especially nowhere near 144 FPS, you'll be stuck with a relatively ugly $800 TN panel. :p

Maybe it's just me but I'd rather have vastly improved IQ over smoother motion any day of the week. At least with a nice 1080P screen, you don't have to sacrifice image quality for framerate. If you're spending a shit ton of money on a screen, why would you want to be sacrificing anything? It's a shame Plasma's aren't being sold anymore. I've seen 50" Panasonic Plasma's sell for ~$500 on Craigslist, in the last few months. Sure, you don't get the refresh rate gimmick, but you get a vastly better picture. But if you want a panel that doesn't have weaker IQ relative to other panels in the price range, IPS G-Sync monitors should be rolling out this year.

Last edited:
A year from now if I feel the "need" I can slap the lastest and greatest graphics card at lower then MSRP or just grab another 980 at even cheaper prices. I normally grab the next best thing as soon as it hits to resell the old one at the highest possible value anyways.. I think those days are done for me. ;)

This TN PQ is not your normal TN screen and looks way from better then anything I've personally used to date. Damn crazy good picture! Might be the 2560x1440 res as well but its pretty awesome.

Prob is that theres N-Sync 34" Ultra wide screens coming shortly and if I upgrade to that this ROG Swift would be over kill for a 2nd screen. That's was another reason to grab the 34" cause I could of used that as a second screen when I upgrade.

Back