Single 32GB DDR4 SODIMM -- where are they?

aphexcoil

Limp Gawd
Is there any technical reason they can't be produced? There are lots of smaller motherboards that support Skylake processors with 2 SODIMM slots that could benefit from the extra RAM.

No, there is no technical reason.128GB DIMM modules started last year https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...-gigabyte-ddr4-modules-for-enterprise-servers there's no reason a 32GB SO-DIMM couldn't now. Typically the ratio is 4:1 (here's when 32GB vs 8GB started https://www.techpowerup.com/147207/...-gigabyte-memory-modules-for-green-it-systems ) so yes, this should totally be doable.

The question is, where is the demand? As you've just seen Apple shipped with 16GB and by and large they got away with it. Aside from a few loudmouthed geeks noone really cares, people are still buying Macbook Pros in droves. So the demand for a 32GB machine is small and for 64GB is probably even smaller. Sure, there is some, four slot laptops have existed for a long time now but consider that a four slot machine would go 128GB with these modules, which, I believe, even Skylake H doesn't support so now your demand is really hemmed in: two slot Skylake H laptops and NUCs needing 64GB. Not even Kaby Lake U supports more than 32GB. We will see whether Kaby Lake H does but since the U didn't change from Skylake, I can't imagine why it would. Essentially, we are talking of Skull Canyon and nothing else. Is there anything else?

I wouldn't expect AMD Zen to drive the demand either in the short term future, consider there are almost no 16GB DDR3 modules (OK, OK, Intelligent Memory has them for horror prices) despite AMD motherboards supporting them.

I would not expect to see 32GB modules before 2018 driven by Icelake and/or AMD Zen should the latter deliver. If Icelake doesn't support 32GB modules, then 2019 is a possibility too.

In a dream world, AMD Zen next spring destroys the price of Skull Canyon and that machine and the brand name copycats take over the corporate world and the demand for 64GB workstations in that format rises so high that Samsung presses the button on the fabrication line. Dream on.

Last edited:
You'll probably see 32GB ECC registered DDR4 sodimms long before unbuffered laptop modules, Xeon D boards support them already.

We (the company I work for) have these 32GB DDR4 ECC SODIMMS for our Xeon D's for a little over a year.

In my experience, ECC modules will function fine in a normal consumer-grade system, even if the memory controller doesn't support it. I was building my first AM3 system and had gotten a Gigabyte 890GX, with a Phenom II X2 555, which I then had gotten four 1GB Nanya DDR3-1333 ECC sticks off eBay for like $32 (which back then was a good deal). They worked just fine in that board, an MSI board, an ASRock board, and also with an Athlon II X2 215u (super low power/clocked model) and a PhII X6 1090T. Granted, they all are built on the same architecture but the X6 had an improved mem controller, so it was at least slightly different.

The problem with eBay memory though, they don't always properly list the memory. It might very well be ECC, but also Registered/Buffered, and I've ran into a couple instances where after I looked at the module's sticker, I come to find that great deal would be a great waste of money since I couldn't use it. Fully-Buffered (FB-DIMM) are typically better labeled at least. So as long as the memory is ONLY an ECC module, you're good and should be a high likelihood of working fine. (Mine even overclocked well, as I figured they would due to what I figured were higher quality DRAM packages. I had gotten them up to like DDR3-1772, if I recall, on that X2 215u when going to 100% overclock lol Only managed like 90% :\)

I was building my first AM3 system

AMD didn't disable the ECC on the memory controller on AM3 processors so this is likely a reason why this worked.

AMD didn't disable the ECC on the memory controller on AM3 processors so this is likely a reason why this worked.
My understanding was that the motherboard still needed to support it in the BIOS as well, though? I figured that's why it always showed as not being enabled in AIDA64.

Interestingly Crucial, when talking about the benefits of DDR4 on their website, say:

Pack more memory into your laptop than ever before. Crucial DDR4 SODIMMs debut in densities up to 8GB, and as DDR4 technology develops, modules are projected to hit 32GB — allowing you to install twice as much memory as you could in a DDR3 system. Since laptops only have 1-2 memory slots, high-density Crucial DDR4 SODIMMs allow you to overcome this limitation and install more memory for faster mobile performance.

So it's just a matter of time.

Hopefully I'll be able to install 128GB of RAM on my Lenovo P50 in a year or two (without a BIOS change).

Considering how most laptop, NUC manufacturers are only manufacturing the computes with 1-2 SODIMM slots the demand for 32GB SODIMMs might/should higher.

In 2017-2020 with NVMe Flash storage and 4.0GHz CPUs, the only way you can really improve performance on memory hungry operating systems and applications (including web browsers that always seem to be consuming multiple GBs of RAM) will be to increase the RAM on your computer. You really do not need a new CPU for the next 5 years in most consumer's cases.

That's why I am so surprised to see all these Kaby Lake bases computers supporting such limited amounts of RAM. You have freed up all that space required by GPUs and SSDs with SOC and m.2 devices, yet your 13-14" laptop only has capacity for 1 or 2 SODIMMs. You have got to be joking. You can fit 4 in that surface area easily!

I'm always surprised by why people always seem to want to comment on why you would want to have 32GB of RAM on a NUC, or 64GB of RAM on a laptop, etc, etc. More RAM, less paging, better performance. Basic operating system stuff. Try stuffing a modern operating system and then all the apps, and widgets into 8GB or 16GB! My Late 2009 iMac 27 flew after I installed 32GB or RAM in it. I was that much more productive.

If end users tried MacBook Pros with double the RAM they currently are using and saw the difference they would be disappointed with not having the option to get more RAM.

With 64/128GB of RAM on all my Windows computers, I disable the paging file. I also create a 16GB RAM drive that I use for my temp location, all the browser caches, etc. If some malicious app bypasses my AV and installs in some temp directory on the RAM drive I can simply reboot my computer and it's gone.

Basically you are not balancing your RAM with your CPU and therefore are not getting optimal performance!

Anyway... Bring on32GB SODIMMs!

Last edited:
I would like to put 2*32GBSODIMM modules both for mine Thinkpads X62(DDR3) and T70(DDR4)
Do you think it will be ever possible?

Up to now, the only single 32GB unbuferred SODIMM is Centon memory in system builders
http://www.centon.com/memory/oem/27863-RDKO10073G03
It's only for system builders, not avaible in consumer section. I cannot find anywhere those modules.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My wallet hates you and hates Samsung. My TP25 however, I think, would quite like the additional RAM.

These are only 2166? I thought Samsung was positioning these as 2666Mhz. The new Lenovo X1 Extreme seems to be using 32GB SODIMMs @ 2666Mhz. Does someone have a part number we can track down?

Here's a link to the Samsung 32GB dimms and gives part number. https://www.ramcity.com.au/ram/ddr4/2666/sodimm/M471A4G43MB1-CTD

While not the 2666Mhz that the Samsung ones are mem-store that Jenni linked to also have 2400Mhz.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-32G...=item4b4d59e1fb:g:JggAAOSwjlJbhwAN:rk:43:pf:0

While not as fast as the Samsung, I'd probably live with the difference especially since I have only seen the Samsung ones being provided by Ramcity or else by Eurocom as part of their laptop build options and they are both charging a considerable premium for it, whereas the mem-store 2400Mhz seem reasonable enough. Only thing is, I'm a bit cautious given that I haven't read anything about them. Thought there would have been some reviews or such about them given that Samsung's 32GB dimms got a fair bit of spotlight prior to even actually releasing them. Has anyone used these 32GB sodimms from mem-store?

I have been following this thread for months waiting for a reputable source my organization can actually purchase from (e.g not eBay or an AU site)

It seems OWC is now selling 2666Mhz 32GB SODIMMs that are for the new MacMini: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/2666DDR4S32G/

We have one on order to try with a Dell Latitude 7390 that only has one slot.

I have been following this thread for months waiting for a reputable source my organization can actually purchase from (e.g not eBay or an AU site)

It seems OWC is now selling 2666Mhz 32GB SODIMMs that are for the new MacMini: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/2666DDR4S32G/

We have one on order to try with a Dell Latitude 7390 that only has one slot.

does it work?

Yeah, it is the Dell Latitude 7390. I also assume it will work in other Dell products with the same generation processor. If you wanted to you could probably run dual 32GB SODIMMs in a Latitude 7490 for 64GB of RAM total. Could make a good alternative to the expensive and heavy mobile workstations.

Yeah, it is the Dell Latitude 7390. I also assume it will work in other Dell products with the same generation processor. If you wanted to you could probably run dual 32GB SODIMMs in a Latitude 7490 for 64GB of RAM total. Could make a good alternative to the expensive and heavy mobile workstations.

naw the bios and it's MRC needs to be modded to support 32gb dimm sticks. most laptop will only work 16gb dimm sticks and dependent on the OEM to get MRC from intel.

modules with 4 ranks can get to 32G,
the motherboards (expensive ones) with 2 dimm slots are made specifically for overclocking where i think you want single rank modules 2x 8G single rank modules , you don't need much RAM to set a record
for average Joe you have 4 dimm slots and that can get you 64G 4x 16G dual rank that is max supported i think by i7.....
it is technically possible but there is no use case for it.

in servers i think they announced even 64G modules but that is a different story

Back