Single 2080 Ti vs 980 Ti TriSLI

rabidz7

[H]ard|Gawd
Would a single 2080 Ti be a worthwhile upgrade from three 980 Tis?

Even with 100% scaling which simply doesn't not happen ever.. yes it will.. a single 1080ti it's already above 980Ti SLI in typically coded games where SLI doesn't go beyond 40 or 50% scaling.. so I can fairly be sure to say a 2080ti should be above 980Ti tri SLI performance.

I'd go with a single 2080 Ti as tri-SLI typically does not scale well.

You should be looking to sell out of those cards while they are still worth... something.

This is the correct answer, you're looking at 225+ a pop AT LEAST. Sell em and make a dent towards your next purchase (whatever that may be).

Reactions: Elios
like this
SLI addss input lag and issues to games
Tri SLI adds even more input lag and even more issues
RTX adds Ray-Tracing and DLSS and is faster... and more expensive than three 980Ti's

Get 2080Ti. It is the future.
1047513-nvidia-unveils-quadro-rtx-worlds-first-ray-tracing-gpu.jpg

My nuclear testicle of insight on unreleased products shows all signs pointing to....

"wait till the fucking reviews are out like the last 400 questions pertaining to unreleased/reviewed products."

Oh and to actually be helpful, my new 1080Ti I bought couple of weeks ago is substantially faster than my trusty, dusty, Evga 980Ti.

Waiting for review makes the same amount of sense as waiting for review of GeForce3 did
It was not substantially faster than the fastest GeForce 2 Ultra but quickly became must have.
Add to this complete lack of competition this time and mining lurking in the shadows and which could ruin GPU prices any time soon and you should get the picture...

That is why I posted prettier picture of ray-traced balls. There are those who understand importance of having balls :ROFLMAO:

Buddy of mine sold his 2x 980Ti for $580 ($290/each) that had only 4 months warranty left on each.

Then bought a used EVGA GTX 1080 Ti for $470 with 2 years warranty left.

The $90 left over went towards some Noctua fans.

Better gaming experience and much quieter PC for pretty much at no cost other than time and shipping.

Is Tri-SLI even supported anymore? I used to have an R9-290X and an R9-295x2 and had good results on some games but other stuff was just broken. I also owned a FuryX and a Radeon Pro Duo and had the same results....not worth it in my opinion. Even my current Crossfire setup shows its age compared to having a single card.

I had a 3x 980Ti setup- I swapped them for a single 1080Ti as soon as I could. Even though for some games the 4k performance is a little less, I don't have to deal with all the other headaches associated with SLI.

Not sure of its relevant, but i replaced 3 780's with one non Ti 1080. The heat in the room has drastically Decreased and my monitoring widget for power no llong spikes at 999 and stays generally below 400 watts. The only thing i needed to do was get active DVI-D adapters because my monitors did not have Displayport

I ran Tri-SLI GTX 980 for a bit. It was fun, but not very practical (software issues, etc.).

I sold them and got GTX 1080 SLI. While some benchmarks did not improve much (or actually lost a bit), real world gaming was noticeably better.

SLI does not scale well with more than 2 cards, maybe you get a bit with the 3rd card but it's not a major difference in the real world (aside from benchmarks).

I still like multi-GPU and hope it gets more supported, but in general 1 of the fastest card will still be the best bet.

Back