Sinclair-Tribune Deal on Shaky Ground After Serious Concerns Expressed by FCC

cageymaru

Fully [H]
The Sinclair-Tribune deal is all but dead after FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has expressed "serious concerns" about the ownership of certain stations . Sinclair Broadcasting which already owns 192 TV stations in the USA wanted to acquire Tribune Media's 42 stations in 33 markets for $3.9 billion. In the deal Sinclair Broadcasting agreed to sell 23 stations but still maintained control of those stations even with new ownership. After FCC chairman Ajit Pai (pdf) concluded that the deal violates the law, Tribune Media's stock dropped 18%.

Based on a thorough review of the record, I have serious concerns about the Sinclair/Tribune transaction. The evidence we’ve received suggests that certain station divestitures that have been proposed to the FCC would allow Sinclair to control those stations in practice, even if not in name, in violation of the law.

This deal is a threat to Ajit Pai's biggest donors. If it would benefit Verizon/Comcast to have a bigger TV competitor, he would be completely behind it. As for the merger itself, I wish Sinclair and it's 192 stations would be broken up. Even Tribune Media is too large with 42 stations. Bonus points if we invested in far more publicly owned and independent stations like PBS and the reintroduction of the fairness doctrine.

This deal is a threat to Ajit Pai's biggest donors. If it would benefit Verizon/Comcast to have a bigger TV competitor, he would be completely behind it. As for the merger itself, I wish Sinclair and it's 192 stations would be broken up. Even Tribune Media is too large with 42 stations. Bonus points if we invested in far more publicly owned and independent stations like PBS and the reintroduction of the fairness doctrine.

Double bonus points if you invest your money willingly, instead of my money forcefully.

Ashit Pai will change his mind after the market opens tomorrow and he has completed a few "questionable" trades.

nothing to see here

Nope. Obama only appointed him as a technicality. Pai was recommended and appointed by Republicans. The duty of the President is simply to confirm the opposition's FCC nomination.
Nope. Fake News. Federal law is clear:

47 U.S. Code § 154
- Federal Communications Commission
47 U.S. Code § 154(a) :Number of commissioners; appointment
The Federal Communications Commission (in this chapter referred to as the “Commission”) shall be composed of five commissioners appointed by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate.​

And per Wikipedia:
Ajit Pai .... has served in various positions at the FCC since being appointed to the commission by President Barack Obama in May 2012, at the recommendation of Mitch McConnell.​

But I get it: any time Obama did something you don't like, the evil Republicans forced him to. The poor man.

This must be the part where they extort more money out of them before finally letting it pass. You know it's going to pass, because the right wing will not relinquish a chance to expand right wing media like this.

47 U.S. Code § 154
The Federal Communications Commission (in this chapter referred to as the “Commission”) shall be composed of five commissioners appointed by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate.​

And per Wikipedia:
Ajit Pai .... has served in various positions at the FCC since being appointed to the commission by President Barack Obama in May 2012, at the recommendation of Mitch McConnell.​

But I get it: any time Obama did something you don't like, the evil Republicans forced him to. The poor man.

And yet Pai was reappointed by Trump in January 2017. So, Igolf Tweetler must have lied to you about draining the swamp.

47 U.S. Code § 154

And per Wikipedia:

Yes, Obama appointed him. What you failed to mention is "Only three commissioners may be members of the same political party". If he hadn't appointed Pai, it would have been another Republican.

BTW, anyone using the term "fake news" as a response to something they don't like gets an auto ignore since it's useless to try and have a discussion with them.

I did not expect this.

Turns out there are more sides to Ajit Pai than are immediately apparent.

If you did not expect this, you weren't paying attention, else simply buying into all the hysteria some of the Nutters were expressing during the net neutrality flap.

Yes, Obama appointed him. What you failed to mention is "Only three commissioners may be members of the same political party". If he hadn't appointed Pai, it would have been another Republican.

BTW, anyone using the term "fake news" as a response to something they don't like gets an auto ignore since it's useless to try and have a discussion with them.

Because the best way to deal with someone in a bubble is to strengthen yours? :rolleyes:

while his reasoning wasnt wrong, it really probably came down to the fact that their check must have bounced.

BTW, anyone using the term "fake news" as a response to something they don't like gets an auto ignore.
And yet you responded. So apparently, this claim you make about how you ignore claims of Fake News is also Fake News.

But I certainly can "admire" a person who thinks the right way for them to participate in the free exchange of ideas, in the public discourse on issues of the day, is to gag themselves. I salute you!

Reactions: PaulP
like this
Back