Since when does ASUS got $$ for this?

I think you vastly underestimate the size of ASUS. They had US$21 billion revenues in 2009, with half a billion net income.

http://www.ecouterre.com/9643/asus-unveils-waveface-ultra-a-web-connected-smartphone-bracelet/

A flexible, thin LCD tablet? And wrist watch smart phone? There is no way ASUS has $$ for this kind of R&D, even if they don't pay tax, they don't have $$ for this deg. of R&D. Unless it's just a concept video

If you notice, the video was release during CES 2010. It was just for concept, but could potential be reality...And yes, Asus does have that kind of money for R&D.

Sony: Revenue $79.618 billion (2009)
Intel: Revenue US$ 35.127 billion (2009)
ASUS: Revenue US$21.2 billion (2009)
AMD: Revenue US$5.81 Billion (2008)

I am actually shocked, I didn't realize ASUS was that huge.

Asus is a huge player - I still enjoy reading the story about how they designed a 486 board without intel sending them an engineering sample processor:
After Intel released its 486 as engineering samples in the late 1980s, the four founding engineers of ASUS decided to design a 486 motherboard without having a 486-processor engineering sample on site, using only the technical details published by Intel and the experience he[who?] had gained while making 386-compatible motherboards. When ASUS finalized its 486 motherboard prototype, they took it to Intel's base in Taiwan for testing. Unsurprisingly, they received no formal greeting when they arrived. It turned out that Intel's own 486 motherboard prototype had encountered design flaws, which Intel's engineers had started to rectify. The ASUS founders drew on their experience with the 486 and had a look at Intel's malfunctioning motherboard. Their solution worked, to the Intel engineers' surprise. Intel then tested the ASUS prototype, which functioned perfectly. This marked the beginning of an informal relationship between the two companies – as of 2009[update], ASUS receives Intel engineering samples ahead of its competitors.[8]

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus#Relationship_with_Intel

Asus can afford it from all the money they save by not doing web server upgrades and not having customer service/ support. :p

Note that I am an Asus customer and have been for about 10 years now :D

Apparently ASUS is no longer manufacturing their own motherboards and is outsourcing to Pegatron.

Pegatron has been spun off as a separate company and will own the ASUS motherboard production facilities. I was initially wrong about the outsourcing bit. Pegatron intends to compete with other motherboard brand including ASUS using its own ASRock brand. ASUS now has to get manufacturing contracts outside of Pegatron.

Apparently for ASUS, their motherboards will now be partly produced by Pegatron and First International Computer.

From a DigiTimes article:

Meanwhile, Asustek also plans to reduce its motherboard outsourcing proportion to Pegatron from originally 50% to only 30% of Asustek's total shipments and will mainly shift the orders to First International Computer's (FIC's) motherboard-making subsidiary in China.

Wow, I am surprised Sony is still that big. I guess that is partly due to the fact that they are a studio too. They have lost a lot of ground in the consumer electronics area. I remember when everybody had a Walkman in stead of a iPod.

As for the concept watch, it looks cool, but would be uncomfortable to ware. The band/watch is way to wide.

Calling Dick Tracy!

Dave

Asus was a huge OEM before they started to spin-off their OEM assets to become more of a "brand name" consumer company.

I'm surprised AMD's revenue was that low. Kinda shocked Asus had 4x the revenue AMD had.

I am surprise ASUS rev. is so close to intel. Where's the link to that?

Asus is not a public co., so how does that come about?

I am impress all these yr., w/ their video card, far better than most others

Asus can afford it from all the money they save by not doing web server upgrades and not having customer service/ support. :p

Note that I am an Asus customer and have been for about 10 years now :D

Arg, I know. Was DLing drivers to reformat my g50v the other day and some of them were just stupid slow. Still... like you I have been building systems with there board for a decade. They are my preferred brand for components, love the quality and features.

Back