Since WASDIO is dead, are there any alternatives?

XacTactX

Supreme [H]ardness
I found out about this controller on [H], and I was hopeful that it would become a reality, but unfortunately... http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/matterdaddy/wasdiotm-the-pc-game-controller-for-action-games

So that controller is dead. But I've been intrigued by the idea of using a joystick instead of a keyboard. I feel like the developers of this thing have a good point, it takes a lot of dexterity to use a keyboard properly. It's the same reason that using a mouse for FPS works so well while using an analog stick sucks. You are relying on larger muscle groups.

Do you guys know of any joysticks that could take the place of WASD for FPS and RPG games? Something similar to the WASDIO?

It's the same reason that using a mouse for FPS works so well while using an analog stick sucks. You are relying on larger muscle groups.
With a mouse, shifting your aim from A to B just involves moving your mouse from A' to B'. With a joystick, you need to tilt it in the right direction, wait for the reticle to get to B, and release it at exactly the right instant. That's why analog sticks suck for aiming - they rely on precise timing to achieve a precise movement, while a mouse lets you make this movement directly.

As for your actual question... You'd have a hard enough time finding something with that many buttons, and even then, you wouldn't be able to reach them all while holding the stick. The closest thing I've seen is probably the Nostromo.

But just because the Kickstarter is dead, doesn't mean the product is. They've already done the R&D, so I doubt they'll give up now.

The g13 and the nostromo both have a thumb operated joystick that can be used for movement.

Another posability that I have seen is the playstation 3 move navigation controller which is basically a one handed game pad: A joystick with some easy access buttons. There's a youtube video showing that setup in action; controller in the left hand for movement, mouse in the right for aiming. No links since I'm at work, but the idea looks pretty good for playing shooters.

Microsoft Strategic Commander is pretty much the same thing. I've got one in my closet...never worked for me.

Thanks guys, I've been researching the options you recommended. The Nostromo is no good because it has a D-pad, not an analog stick. The Playstation Move is a very clever idea but I would have to take my hand off the analog stick to use crouch, reload, sprint, etc. so that won't work.

I'm very interested in the G13. Only problem is the analog stick looks uncomfortable. The indentation where you rest your thumb looks very small. I wish they would just use the same analog stick that the Xbox 360 has, those were plenty comfortable back when I had one. But that's not a deal-breaker, I just have to do more research now.

Could you guys please recommend more options that have an analog stick. I want something that has an analog stick so I can use it to move.

I've been interested in something like this for a long time. I was actually thinking something more like the G13 but with an analog stick and mechanical keys. I'm pretty sure the G13's stick is only 8 way, it isn't analog.

I have tried playing using a 360 controller with my left hand and mouse right hand. The problem is almost no FPS games support analog movement. The only game I found that does is Halo PC.

There aren't any perfect solutions. PC games were never designed with analog sticks in mind. Instead I remembered that I have a few old DualShock 2 controllers laying around. I ordered an adapter to turn them into USB off of eBay and I'll fool around with that for a while. If it works for adventure games like Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed then that'll be good for $4 I guess.

Back