Since Haswell has a Lower Heatwall than Ivy, How Well Does It Run Stock?

PGHammer

2[H]4U
Okay - so far, the general reporting is that overclocking Haswell biteth (lower heatwall than even Ivy Bridge); however, the question nobody has said is how well does it run stock compared to previous-generation Intel quads (or AMD multi-core, for that matter). While it may not matter that much to Sandy or Ivy owners, I'd wager AMD owners and those of us still on LGA775 or even LGA1366 are curious.

Not sure I understand your question here.

Are you wondering how well Haswell preforms clock for clock vs Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge?

If so, pretty sure HardOCP's review did all three of them in a 4.5Ghz clock to show what each is capable of clock for clock.

I understand what you mean. If Haswell only performs marginally better than IV at stock frequencies, and IV prices are much lower than Haswell, stick to IV. I need a new workstation and Haswell doesn't make sense for me.

I understand what you mean. If Haswell only performs marginally better than IV at stock frequencies, and IV prices are much lower than Haswell, stick to IV. I need a new workstation and Haswell doesn't make sense for me.

However, that is indeed the issue - the price difference is not as tall as expected.

Had the price difference been in the order of, say $100 (CPU/motherboard bundle), even Ivy Bridge would win, given the height of the Haswell heatwall. Instead, it's half that - further, the difference is mitigated by chipset improvements in Z87 v. Z77.

Ivy Bridge wasn't for those that already had Sandy Bridge, and the same applies to Haswell. Haswell is for all those that passed on both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, and are coming from AMD, Nehalem, or older.

Okay - so far, the general reporting is that overclocking Haswell biteth (lower heatwall than even Ivy Bridge); however, the question nobody has said is how well does it run stock compared to previous-generation Intel quads (or AMD multi-core, for that matter). While it may not matter that much to Sandy or Ivy owners, I'd wager AMD owners and those of us still on LGA775 or even LGA1366 are curious.

I viewed quite a few reviews on release day and the general consensus is that at stock, they're about the same in terms of power consumption and temperatures - All of the efficiency related improvements with Haswell were applied to the mobile oriented SKUs and not desktop. I suspect that the integrated VRM on Haswell has slightly lowered the temperature limit when overclocking, but let's not kid ourselves - Ivy Bridge was not stellar in this respect either; my 3770k hits near 90C with a 4.6ghz overclock fairly easily if I stress test it hard enough.

If you're going with a new platform or upgrading from a system which is 3-4 years old, Haswell is the way to go IMHO - The Z87 platform alone makes it worth it with the addtional SATA 6G ports. Of course, I don't think there's a compelling reason to upgrade from any ivy bridge to a haswell. One thing that has me really confused is to see some recommending IVB over Haswell, and I just can't agree with that because as mentioned, IVB just isn't stellar in terms of overclocked temperatures either. Additionally, the IPC improvements with Haswell should offset a 300-400mhz lower overclock anyway (If you're very unlucky...)

What is the difference in heatwalls anyways?

It's really not as big of a difference as people make it out to be. IVB gets very hot with voltage just as Haswell does. If you REALLY want to shoot for the upper echelon of overclocked speeds you can delid your chip anyway - It's not for the faint of heart, but the option is there.

All of the efficiency improvements did make it to the desktop, but it was focused on idle power efficiency. In desktops with power hungry GPUs, lots of fans, etc, the much lower idle power consumption isn't going to be nearly as large of a difference as it would appear on mobile platforms.

I made a thread yesterday about the same question but has no idea why it was removed
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1039937711#post1039937711
Is it because [H] forum has to get into Intel's good shoes?
basically, some review mentioned the temp on 4770k on stock speed and fan runs 37-39C on IDLE, and 86C on Prime. Intel burn test should add an additional few C more, to the 90s I guess. Running in tropical countries where ambient temp is higher or where cases are lacking airflow may add another few more C.
Really really bad temp.

That's with the stock cooler. The stock cooler with the 3770k will also give you temps in the 70s or 80s - which is actually fine because the chip itself is rated to handle that temperature just fine. If you have a great air cooler or closed liquid system (eg H100i) you will get very good stock temperatures with either chip. Also, it should be mentioned that Prime95 temperatures with Haswell are not quite accurate if you're using Adaptive VID. Currently prime95 has not been updated for Haswell, basically the AVX stream of instructions that Prime95 uses applies +.1V to Haswell if the BIOS is set to Adaptive VID. That adds a significant temperature increase, to say the least. This is why Asus recommends not using Prime95 for stress testing with Haswell *until* a Prime95 update is released - of course this is only applicable if you're using Adaptive VID (the default IIRC). If you're using offset or manual voltage, this is a non-issue.

Anyway, long story short - stock temperatures with 4770k are fine. They are comparable to 3770k with the stock cooler.

Back