Since [H] shut down, where do you go for PSU reviews?

lazz

Limp Gawd
The PSU reviews on [H] were really unparalleled. I'm looking for sites that do quality in-depth PSU reviews. Gimme your best linkage.

Aris Mpitziopoulos over at Tom's Hardware, it's moved beyond just the common load/hot box type stress testing for PSUs which was "cutting edge" back in the mid 2000s (from what I remember).

The only aspect I think can be improved now is the sampling issue, as in moving to random retail sampling to eliminate (or at least greatly alleviate) the possible sampling bias of review (standards certification) units.

Reactions: lazz
like this
The PSU reviews on [H] were really unparalleled. I'm looking for sites that do quality in-depth PSU reviews. Gimme your best linkage.
I really wish they would bring back reviewing [H]ardware.

The problem is they haven't done a review in over a year...

I bought a review PSU off of Oklahoma Wolf when he was around here. Standup guy who took care of me when the PSU shit the bed.

I used to actively seek out Oklahoma Wolf PSU's at OCF because he'd resolder anything that looked janky during review teardowns. Still running my CM 850 watt he "touched up" close to 10 years ago!

No PSU reviews since last October, though. What’s up with that?

Paul would have to answer that. I don't know the details behind it, but he's largely been unavailable in recent months. Between the massive costs for the specialized equipment (around $8-$10k) and the specific skill set required to write such reviews, we can't simply grab another PSU guy and keep producing reviews to the same standards that we have had in the past.

Paul would have to answer that. I don't know the details behind it, but he's largely been unavailable in recent months. Between the massive costs for the specialized equipment (around $8-$10k) and the specific skill set required to write such reviews, we can't simply grab another PSU guy and keep producing reviews to the same standards that we have had in the past.

That’s fair. Does he own all that personally?

Are there a lot of there people talking about or using that PSU? Its fine, i'll buy that one. Done and done.

Kyle actually let all of us keep our testing equipment so we could move forward if we wanted to do so. Of course, we all did. :)
Are you guys able to get review samples or do you have to buy everything you test? Just curious how that part changed after [H] shut down.

Are you guys able to get review samples or do you have to buy everything you test? Just curious how that part changed after [H] shut down.

For the most part we are getting samples. I've bought a board, CPU and memory here and there though.

Back