Sims 3 question

Vorret

[H]ard|Gawd
My girlfriend has the sims 3 on her HDD and I bougher her an SSD to put it on (stupid slow game).

Question is, is it like WoW where you move the folder there and it works or I need to uninstall and reinstall everything?

Also, there's a 2nd folder in the users/my doc/electronic arts should I put that one on the SSD as well? And if I need to do a clean install, is there a way to specify where to put that folder?

Thanks

Nope
Original and 2 xpacks are retail and one xpack is from Origin.
Though I can redownload them all through Origin if I wanted to.

I'm not sure, then. If it were on Steam, you could just copy your folder over.

I had to do a move of this game a while back for someone. The users/etc stuff in the documents is game saves and cache things like custom music as far as I remember.

If you have any custom content (addons like extra 3rd part clothes and hairs etc.) that will be in one of the game folders. The easiest way would be to do a clean download and then copy the files across. If you do it with origin you can set the default download location and then the sims will install into whichever directory you want it to. But the game saves will always go on C:/ regardless.

Crap, so I won't get any performance gain from moving the game to an SSD?

only if you make the SSD the boot drive. theres not much help for the game anyways to make it faster.

You might get some, as it does use a load of textures/objects and is probably constantly loading stuff off the drive, especially if you have addons etc (I think it will only use 2gb ram...so anything more than this will be swap files). The game from what I can tell is deceptively demanding (or badly coded), so if she has less than 2gb to play with or an older GPU with not much vram, that might be causing it to be slower too (and increasing the load on the HDD). Take a look at the system stuff while it's running and see whats happening.

Well she's running an I3-2100, 4gb ram and a 6850 so that shouldn't be a problem, the only thing I could think of to make things faster was an SSD

You could use symlinks to move the folders to the SSD in such a way that the system *thinks* they're still where they started. That should also negate the need for a reinstallation. Basically move the custom content from docs and settings to the ssd, and separately do the same with the program files dir. Then symlink those back to the original location. You can read a bit more about symlinks here: http://www.windows7home.net/how-to-create-symbolic-link-in-windows-7/

Back