simplest database software

colore

Limp Gawd
hello!

I am looking for a simple database app

I want to create tables, where each tables has fields categorized and hierarchized, and each field has a status (completed or not), and can be completed with text or a file

tables must be searchable and filterable

EXCEL or ACCESS may help, but I am looking for a simpler solution

thanks!

hello!

I am looking for a simple database app

I want to create tables, where each tables has fields categorized and hierarchized, and each field has a status (completed or not), and can be completed with text or a file

tables must be searchable and filterable

EXCEL or ACCESS may help, but I am looking for a simpler solution

thanks!
There's not much here that helps to give a decision...

What is this for?
Do you require a DB product/file, or is a connection string sufficient? Do you also need a GUI to design it or is commandline sufficient?
What will be hosting the DB? What operating system will it be running?
How many tables? How many rows per table? What datatypes and relationships are needed?

Off-hand, I would've thought Access to be a decent choice. But if you find yourself struggling to answer the above questions, then I'd instead suggest to research and take some classes on databases, data design, normalization, etc.

well, I just need a simple GUI that will display some info and be able to store some files!!

well, I just need a simple GUI that will display some info and be able to store some files!!
Again, not much to go on here. And now I feel your search criteria is misplaced.

Please explain "some info" and "store some files". You need to get more specific about your needs if you want a solution.

I imagine it like EXCEL, where I can store text and files (binaries, blobs) inside cells
each column will be related each other

I imagine it like EXCEL, where I can store text and files (binaries, blobs) inside cells
each column will be related each other
Give Access a shot. If it's insufficient, you'll need to tell us why.

So why not use Excel?

Access would be your 2nd easiest, after that you get into MySQL or MSSQL express and then some GUI on the front end.

I basically need an EXCEL alternative, more database-oriented, that lets me design my own GUI (which cannot be done in EXCEL)
at the same time, an easier alternative of Access

is there a webpage that mentions all the available options? maybe a Comparison_of_... wikipedia article?

dont know the exact term to search for

need for coding and programming language knowledge should not be necessary, since I lack time

thanks!

Last edited:
SqlLite or MySql

SqlLite you can use SQL to create database schema and insert/select data from it. It stores the entire database to 1 file for easiness and portability.

MySQL is free (I believe) and has a nice GUI to create schema and test queries. Has some examples on how to select data from various languages such as .NET which you can make a GUI from (C# Express free download from MS)

SqlLite or MySql

SqlLite you can use SQL to create database schema and insert/select data from it. It stores the entire database to 1 file for easiness and portability.

MySQL is free (I believe) and has a nice GUI to create schema and test queries. Has some examples on how to select data from various languages such as .NET which you can make a GUI from (C# Express free download from MS)

At least MySQL is an adequate suggestion, but both choices require the OP to roll his/her own UI. And I'm not convinced that is within reach at this moment.

Yes, you could use MySQL with an Access front end using ODBC (not sure if that is still required in new version) but if they want something more than excel but think Access may be hard... i think that is out of their calling

Access really is not "that" hard to create forms and a DB, no matter what you choose your going to have to have some learning curve to learn the system.

Where do you see this system in 1 year? 2 years?

think future and build something decent now.

Back