Here's a layout

All are 192.168.99.x

DAD - XP Pro - .197
SERVER - XP Home .198
ME - XP Pro .196

DAD can see both ME and SERVER
SERVER can see both ME and DAD
ME can only see DAD, not SERVER

There is NO reason! We are all on the SAME switch. It's not even a router. It's just a switch. There is a router on the upload (it's a router/VoIP box) of the switch but I don't see what significance that would have?

I don't get it?

BobTheSlob said:
DAD can see both ME and SERVER
SERVER can see both ME and DAD
ME can only see DAD, not SERVER

First things first. What does "see"ing in this sense mean?

Can you ping the other network devices from each system?
Answer that and we can then begin to actually troubleshoot the problem.

Good luck.

You are using Network Places to search the network, right? There as been a ton of threads on this same problem. Browse using IP addresses and it will work perfectly. You can fix this problem with a DNS server or editing your HOSTS file. Find these, and many other solutions, in a quick search.

Shadowspawn said:
You are using Network Places to search the network, right? There as been a ton of threads on this same problem. Browse using IP addresses and it will work perfectly. You can fix this problem with a DNS server or editing your HOSTS file. Find these, and many other solutions, in a quick search.

Definitely! Using IPs is much more reliable.

If you want to test for problems a good place to start is by simply using the ping command. Just go on one of the computers, bring up the DOS prompt, and type 'ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX' where the X's are another IP address in your network. If those go through then you know it's just Windows being screwy.

also make sure that windows firewall is either disabled or at minimum, icmp ping is enabled.

you dont need to disable a firewall, most all can be set to allow network browsing,. If they can ping and "See" each other then its not the firewall. Probly permisions on the shares.(if you have shares) and make sure you use a password to login to the me box and the win2k3 has an account for the ME box.

but as someone posted previously, "seeing" each other in network nieghborhood is prety much meaningless unless you have some resources shared. The true test is if you can access a "SHARE" on another computer, wether you can "see" it or not.

Sharing Link

Back