Simple i5-2500k overclock to 4.5ghz

doug_7506

2[H]4U
Would love some opinions on this overclock.

When I bought the i5 all I wanted to 4.0GHz, but after realizing the potential I went to 4.5Ghz.

I only changed the turbo boost multiplier from 37 to 45. Everything else was left at default. Are there and real negative to this? The only thing that was sorta worrisome was that when i opened Prime95 CPU Voltage jumped to 1.37, but it quickly leveled out at 1.302. Temps maxed out at 80C with 74F ambient rooms temps.

Thoughts? 80C (load) 37-39C (Idle) seems pretty good right?

See sig for specs:

Thanks,

Doug

seems fine. i clocked mine to 4.5 today and got a blue screen after 20 mins of testing... put it down to 3.7 for now, i'll figure it out later.

Hey Doug,

I put my i5-2500K together this week. Currently at 4.4ghz and happy. Have not tried any higher. Like you, just adjusted multiplier. I left all voltages to auto.

To compare I am idling at 32C and 58C load prime95. 1.27 volt.

Last edited:
An i5-2500k cannot do beyond 4.2GHz on stock voltages. I know this because mine got a BSOD today in BF3 after 2 hours of gaming, and the temps didn't exceed 57C. Shoot for 4GHz at stock voltage, especially if you're using stock cooling; that should be safe. I have a Hyper 212+ cooler.

I got 4.8 @ 1.38 volts otherwise it sits at 1.07v @ 1.6ghz idle.

You can always see what your max OC is and see what you like.

I got 4.8 @ 1.38 volts otherwise it sits at 1.07v @ 1.6ghz idle.

You can always see what your max OC is and see what you like.

Did you leave you Voltage on Auto?

Hey Doug,

I put my i5-2500K together this week. Currently at 4.4ghz and happy. Have not tried any higher. Like you, just adjusted multiplier. I left all voltages to auto.

To compare I am idling at 32C and 58C load prime95. 1.27 volt.

58C on load? What kind of cooling are you using? Even at 4.3 I was hitting 70C on load? I am using a p180b with a hyper 212+ HSF. Have two fans pulling air in the front and two pushing air out the back.

An i5-2500k cannot do beyond 4.2GHz on stock voltages. I know this because mine got a BSOD today in BF3 after 2 hours of gaming, and the temps didn't exceed 57C. Shoot for 4GHz at stock voltage, especially if you're using stock cooling; that should be safe. I have a Hyper 212+ cooler.

Why shoot for stock voltage. I thought as long as you stayed under 1.4v with the i5 you were not harming the chip?

Why shoot for stock voltage. I thought as long as you stayed under 1.4v with the i5 you were not harming the chip?
Because raising the voltage raises the temperature which decreases the possible operating frequency. Unless you're cooling with a non-stock cooler, raising the voltages is a bad idea.

doug_7506,

No I manually set it, since I didnt want it going too high. From what I have read auto sometimes likes to go a bit too far. In games it runs great(~50's), running prime, temps are still under 70.
So I will just stay with this, no use in trying for 5, since I doubt I will gain anything.

58C on load? What kind of cooling are you using? Even at 4.3 I was hitting 70C on load? I am using a p180b with a hyper 212+ HSF. Have two fans pulling air in the front and two pushing air out the back.

I'm using a Noctua NH-U12P with their NT-H1 grease. Case is Cooler Master HAF 922. Has a 200 mm front intake, 120 mm rear exhaust, and a 200 mm top exhaust.

I was pleasantly surprised with this temp at 4.4.

Because raising the voltage raises the temperature which decreases the possible operating frequency. Unless you're cooling with a non-stock cooler, raising the voltages is a bad idea.

Ahh I get what point you were trying to make. Yeah I'm using an aftermarket cooler. I heard i5 max temp was 100C? Not sure if that is true. I figured if 100 was max I would try to stay under 80 to be on safe side.

I'm using a Noctua NH-U12P with their NT-H1 grease. Case is Cooler Master HAF 922. Has a 200 mm front intake, 120 mm rear exhaust, and a 200 mm top exhaust.

I was pleasantly surprised with this temp at 4.4.

Yeah great temps!

Ahh I get what point you were trying to make. Yeah I'm using an aftermarket cooler. I heard i5 max temp was 100C? Not sure if that is true. I figured if 100 was max I would try to stay under 80 to be on safe side.
99C is where the cpu throttles. Obviously, the lower the temps the better, but your normal operating temperatures (under games or what have you) should be < 70C. From what I gather from my research, it's ideal for stress testing to hit a max at < 80C. These chips can run up into the 90s Celsius--I know, I've done it--but it's not good practice to do that very often :D

doug_7506,

You got some good results, but I would recommend dialing in more manual settings. It seems like Auto voltage is probably giving it too much juice, and you could lower your temps and save some power by lowering it (and of course checking stability with Prime95).

doug_7506,

You got some good results, but I would recommend dialing in more manual settings. It seems like Auto voltage is probably giving it too much juice, and you could lower your temps and save some power by lowering it (and of course checking stability with Prime95).

Thanks for the tip!

I'll give it a run and see how it goes.

Doug

Auto overclock pushed my system to 103mhz x 42 or x43 to give between 4.2 - 4.4ghz (auto voltage) in the BIOS. This is on an ASUS P8Z68V-LE on Cooler Master 212+ EVO. Temperatures are well-within a healthy temperature (idle 23c / load 34C) good. I don't think i want to add voltage as the benefits getting to 4.4ghz - 5ghz are not high for my usage, so I backed off the OC to 100ghz x 42 or 4.2ghz.

Last edited:
I also just moved my multiplier to 42. When I saw the 103 base frequency, i freaked out. Wasn't sure if i had done something wrong since everywhere i read that it's supposed to be at 100 (happy to see it's not just my board). So i changed it to 100. Left the AI overclock and voltage on auto. Since i still only have the stock cooler, i changed the profile on the cpu fans and chassis fans to turbo.

My max temp after running Prime95 for 30 mins was 68C and my voltage settled to 1.26V.

Going to order a TS120 when i get paid on thursday

i have 5ghz at 74c with an h70 vcore is 1.45 24/7 with my 2500k. been like this since october

I read somewhere someone using a 48x multiplier. Ran 48x10 @ 38C using CS5 and it was stable. This is on the Cooler Master 212+ EVO cooler.

Auto overclock was fun but overzealous: 1.41V or higher, 105Mhz x 43 = 4.5GHz with higher temps.

I'll be happy running 46x100 or lower because my regular usage will rarely benefit from the overclocking.

I also just moved my multiplier to 42. When I saw the 103 base frequency, i freaked out. Wasn't sure if i had done something wrong since everywhere i read that it's supposed to be at 100 (happy to see it's not just my board). So i changed it to 100. Left the AI overclock and voltage on auto. Since i still only have the stock cooler, i changed the profile on the cpu fans and chassis fans to turbo.

My max temp after running Prime95 for 30 mins was 68C and my voltage settled to 1.26V.

Going to order a TS120 when i get paid on thursday

Okay i lied. Apparently, the temps i was reading off CPU-Z were false. After installing core temp and real temp, and reading temps on both simultenously while running Prime95, I was getting to 97/98 within 3 minutes. So, I'm not going to try that again till my aftermarket cooler gets here.
Also i figured out why the base frequency went to 103. When you go into the BIOS/EFI and set the profile to performance, the base freq is set to 103 and the multiplier goes up to 42. So i have set it back to the optimal settings which brought them back down to 100 and 37.
Just gotta wait till my HR-02 Macho gets here.

Okay i lied. Apparently, the temps i was reading off CPU-Z were false. After installing core temp and real temp, and reading temps on both simultenously while running Prime95, I was getting to 97/98 within 3 minutes. So, I'm not going to try that again till my aftermarket cooler gets here.
Also i figured out why the base frequency went to 103. When you go into the BIOS/EFI and set the profile to performance, the base freq is set to 103 and the multiplier goes up to 42. So i have set it back to the optimal settings which brought them back down to 100 and 37.
Just gotta wait till my HR-02 Macho gets here.

Good thing you decided to check!

I have been uing Hardware monitor made by the same people as CPUZ. Going to double check my temps now!

80C is fine for Prime 95 - the real question is what your max load temp is for every day usage (i.e. gaming)? Personally, I hit 85C max load in Prime 95 but never rise above 60C in my most intensive application - Battlefield 3.

Back