Simple dorm networking

Wampa

Limp Gawd
Here's the setup: we are currently in a dorm with wired ethernet connections. To connect to the network, you have to register the MAC address of the adapter you are using, and they assign a static IP and DNS server to copy to your TCP/IP settings. Right now I have a desktop computer that is registered to the network, but we want to have wireless access with laptops that aren't registered to the network. I have an old D-Link 713P wireless router that I want to set up, but I'm having some issues. Here is a visual:

networkdiagram.gif

What I have tried is inputting the static IP and DNS into the router configuration, and hooking the WAN port on the router to the network, and then having the desktop connected via wired port 1 on the router. I set it up like that, and wasn't able to connect to the router, wired or wireless. I'm thinking maybe the router is showing its age, so worse comes to worse I can buy a cheap new router. If I buy the new router, is this the proper configuration?

Network --> Router (Static IP / DNS Settings, Spoofed MAC) --> Desktop

Thanks for any help

Set the router to spoof the MAC of the approved desktop then plug everything into the router.

puck said:
Set the router to spoof the MAC of the approved desktop then plug everything into the router.

Or better yet, spoof a new MAC on the approved desktop, register that, change the desktop back to the old MAC, and then give the wireless router the newly registered one, using a switch to split the connection. Why not just register the wireless devices anyways?

Are Wireless devices approved for use in the dorms? If they are registering MAC's then I'd be willing to bet that they aren't...

I'd be careful, don't wanna be a downer, but campus have those restrictions for a reason, god knows i get pissed whenever the power goes out in the dorms and everyone in that dorm getting a 192.168 address b/c some kids are using a linksys(or what-have-you) router. Just becareful and look into what the policy is with the college.

Back