SimCity V (2013) - screens/artwork and information

Ya know, something I really think is ridiculous is the way money gifting works. I gift money to a city to help them out now...not when they reach the same time period that im at in my other city...

If you guys want a region to play in on the NA East 1 server, hit me up...Monkey Grunts is the region name and my player name is USMCGrunt0307.

Is there something I am messing up on?

I built a recycling plant, and i was getting plastic, so I plopped in two plastic reclamation lines.

After this I got a message from it saying they wanted a trade depot to export the goods.
So I built one, put in a plastic storage lot, etc.

Now the recycling plant is FULL of plastic crates (2 tons) and neither the delivery truck from that recycling center nor the pickup truck from the trade depot is moving it. It just sits in the recycling center and says "full, production stopped."

Did I do something wrong?

Is there something I am messing up on?

I built a recycling plant, and i was getting plastic, so I plopped in two plastic reclamation lines.

After this I got a message from it saying they wanted a trade depot to export the goods.
So I built one, put in a plastic storage lot, etc.

Now the recycling plant is FULL of plastic crates (2 tons) and neither the delivery truck from that recycling center nor the pickup truck from the trade depot is moving it. It just sits in the recycling center and says "full, production stopped."

Did I do something wrong?

The whole thing is screwed up. I was making millions off my mining setup. I mined coal and ore to smelt alloy which I was selling. This was all working great. Then I decided to bulldoze my 4 trade depots in favor of 2 trade ports. The depots had 16 total trucks and 16 storage lots while the ports had 24 trucks and 16 lots (I think) and saved space.

After making the switch, my alloy was no longer exporting properly. I consistently had 180/200 tons at my trade port. The entire supply chain became backed up and shut down. My millions dwindled away and the city was likely going to collapse.

Last edited:
It's also really disappointing that cities are all generally the same. The specialization and such might be different, but the layouts are the same. You have to do it a certain way if you want to maximize what you get out of the little areas. At first, I didn't mind the small plots. After doing a few, however, I find making very similar cities so I can get the most out of it. It really hurts the replayability.

My man that screenshot is beautiful and makes me want to just get in and play, and try to tolerate all the problems. The most heartbreaking thing there is how claustrophobic your region has become and how quickly it can be outgrown (matter of a few hours), because thats like a skyscraper sardine can. What I dont understand is Maxis had a money printing machine with one finger on the go button and from the end user perspective its like they went out of their way to sabotage it instead. Imagine a region 4 times the size of current, with terraforming, and offline mode. It'd be GOTY any way you slice it. Zillions more copies would've been sold.

I wish Maxis would've run an internal sim to see how many more sales they stood to lose with extreme, choking anti-piracy measures than they would have to piracy.

LOL I had the same thing when I bulldozed my police station.

Yeah there seems to be a bug where bulldozing a police station dumps all criminals out onto the street instead of transferring to other police stations that have room.

Last edited:
It's also really disappointing that cities are all generally the same. The specialization and such might be different, but the layouts are the same. You have to do it a certain way if you want to maximize what you get out of the little areas. At first, I didn't mind the small plots. After doing a few, however, I find making very similar cities so I can get the most out of it. It really hurts the replayability.

And that's exactly what they want. You to get bored quickly and stop playing...until their next expansion/dlc. Drip. Drop. Goes the Content.

Anybody know if workers are commuting between cities for work or if that is a broken feature as well? I have a mining community that I managed to make mostly high wealth at the same time. Unfortunately, this has left me with a massive number of open low/med jobs to be filled and not enough of those types of workers. I started a new city next to it and packed in a couple neighborhoods numbering around 700 so far. Majority of them show as being unemployed and the population panel shows none of them are commuting out. I only gave it 10-15 minutes give or take so its possible it hasn't kicked in yet....or are the jobs also plagued by the same limitation of time as the money gifting?

Has anyone managed to build a great work yet? I can't seem to get materials to actually send to the project site. Or rather, they don't get dropped off when the trucks arrive. I see the trucks going from my city to the site but they just drive in, turn around and drive back to my city to start over again. They aren't actually delivering anything for some reason.

Edit: It seems like they don't sync up resource delivery in real time, it takes some time and then it syncs up a whole bunch at once. Second question; Why can't the second city that I claimed in the region even see that the great work is taking place? It looks like I could just build another one on the same spot from the the other city. Makes it difficult to contribute.

Last edited:
I tried AGAIN today to play. Lost my save after 2 hours.

Uninstalled. Moving on. Good luck to those that stay , there is a game in there worth playing but its from a company that clearly isn't worth dealing with.

It's very bizarre that they're still so incessant about their always on DRM model despite it being proven such a complete and utter failure.

I tried AGAIN today to play. Lost my save after 2 hours.

Uninstalled. Moving on. Good luck to those that stay , there is a game in there worth playing but its from a company that clearly isn't worth dealing with.

Thank you for your concern!™ We hate to see ya go!™ But before ya do, might we interest you in a FREE copy of Train Simulator Deluxe, so we can be friends again?™

It's very bizarre that they're still so incessant about their always on DRM model despite it being proven such a complete and utter failure.

If you mean why haven't they relented in less than a week, probably because A) they had no actual contingency to fall back to an offline mode that could be easily rolled out, B) A quick & dirty recompile to include an offline mode would howitzer their grand longterm plans of SimCity as a service and a revenue faucet ala Netflix, C) EA has advised them not to relent: "No offline - NO SURRENDER, dig your heels in. Bite the pillow and ride it out because "eventually it will blow over".

My best guess is they're in somewhat of a state of shock, with a flurry of internal emails going back and forth round the clock about half measures and how best to rearrange the deck chairs as the titanic goes down, because they still believe this will taper off and blow over in a week or two.

Something is different about this one though - this won't just blow over, even if they added a million servers in the next 24hrs. There's blood in the water now and much more so than Diablo III or ME3 or Spore or any botched launch that's come before. It doesn't feel like people are going to let go of this one until an offline mode actually happens - and its got potential to drag out all year.

From what I'm gathering, its like people are seeing this as a defining moment where a bigger issue has emerged: "this is where we take a stand against BigCo and BigDRM - we're being tested and we stand up now or things will never be the same. It's gone past simple cat and mouse games. Now its about annihilation."

Last edited:
If you mean why haven't they relented in less than a week, probably because A) they had no actual contingency to fall back to an offline mode that could be easily rolled out, B) A quick & dirty recompile to include an offline mode would howitzer their grand longterm plans of SimCity as a service and a revenue faucet ala Netflix, C) EA has advised them not to relent: "No offline - NO SURRENDER, dig your heels in. Bite the pillow and ride it out because "eventually it will blow over".

My best guess is they're in somewhat of a state of shock, with a flurry of internal emails going back and forth round the clock about half measures and how best to rearrange the deck chairs as the titanic goes down, because they still believe this will taper off and blow over in a week or two.

Something is different about this one though - this won't just blow over, even if they added a million servers in the next 24hrs. There's blood in the water now and much more so than Diablo III or ME3 or Spore or any botched launch that's come before. It doesn't feel like people are going to let go of this one until an offline mode actually happens - and its got potential to drag out all year.

From what I'm gathering, its like people are seeing this as a defining moment where a bigger issue has emerged: "this is where we take a stand against BigCo and BigDRM - we're being tested and we stand up now or things will never be the same. It's gone past simple cat and mouse games. Now its about annihilation."

Thats only been said with every form of DRM over the last 20 years. Still no stand still people will preorder millions of copies of the next POS they announce with online DRM.

Hard to tell how this one is going to work out, I've noticed that there are multiple aspects of the game not functioning properly and various parts of it being flat out broken once I've been able to progress far enough minus the server problems.

The game is in dire need of patching for quite a few bugs which were not apparent with the limited betas they conducted, perhaps out of convenience.

Consumers don't have much in the way of recourse once they've purchased the game but my feeling is that we have to be burned/angered/pissed off bad enough to remember not to make this mistake again, similar to other things in life - a lot of error from a lot of trial.

As for myself, this is that time I got burned bad enough to generate such enmity towards EA and Maxis that I won't make the same mistake again.

EA will do what they did with Dragon Age 2. Announce SC6 in about a month or two.

Thats only been said with every form of DRM over the last 20 years. Still no stand still people will preorder millions of copies of the next POS they announce with online DRM.

Ubisoft eventually gave up. Bad DRM approaches usually fail and hurt the company. There are ample examples where a company went one way with a DRM scheme and then gave up because it hurt not only their PR but sales. There may be millions of pre-orders, but people do learn. I'm glad i'm older and wiser now and grew up gaming in the 80s,90s, early 2000's. If I grew up this generation I'd be getting ripped off left and right because I wouldn't know better. My parents wallets would be wide open to new DLC every week. People do learn, but you have to remember that core demographic of kids/young adults take longer to come around.

Something is different about this one though - this won't just blow over, even if they added a million servers in the next 24hrs. QUOTE]

I'd like to think if they added more than enough servers to where there were no more log on issues, people would stop posting about it.
Sure the scars would still be there but the the bleeding will stop, and that's what EAs counting on. I won't be buying it because of the launch week issue.

I'd like to think if they added more than enough servers to where there were no more log on issues, people would stop posting about it.
Sure the scars would still be there but the the bleeding will stop, and that's what EAs counting on. I won't be buying it because of the launch week issue.

Judging by how fundamentally broken and buggy the game is when you can actually connect (which is most of the time now for me anyway) it might not blow over that quickly unless they actually patch the crap out of it. Considering how EA/Maxis never got around to fixing the traffic routing bugs in SC4+RH and we had to wait on a community fix (NAM) and how much more seems to be broken in SC5 I'm not expecting much at this point. Sadly I doubt we'd ever get any community fixes either with the online aspect and probably limited modding support (if we ever get it).

An article released in the last day or 2 stated that the major reason is that it would require an overhaul of a large amount of features. A number of features only occur on the EA servers and are not built into the game. So they would require a massive amount of work to create a patch that would allow the game to be played offline. Chances are even if they wanted to it would take some time and not fix the current issue. I don't think this is about EA not wanting to surrender, it's that even if they wanted to it cannot be done in a very short time frame so they are trying to fix the current system instead.

Is there a faq somewhere about what the people of your town/city will protest about?

Speaking of protest, took me few hours to calm the protestors rally at the city hall and the mayor house. They were bitchin about the city dump :p

Three things happened while playing in the last ~4hrs of gameplay that make me want to light the game on fire ... but I can't because I don't have a box copy :(
1. I played for about 1.5hrs last night and everything was fine. Gained about 30k people in my city when all of the sudden my screen went black and I was kicked back to the main menu. In the main menu, I only had play and Simworld, it did not say "Resume city". It was late, so I quit and went to bed. Today, I go to play and it did not save my city at all from last night. Bullshit!

2. Today, I was playing for about 45 minutes when I get an error saying my city was broke and I had to quit, but nothing was wrong, everything was working fine! When I went to go resume my city, it said I had to roll back or abandon. I chose rollback and it took me back to my last save from last night ... wtf!

3. Lastly, I was going to re-do my entry road into the city to try to get rid of an intersection and I deleted a piece of road to the city which cut it off from the highway and it gave me an error and the only option it gave me was quit. When I went to resume, again I had the chance to rollback or abandon, when I chose rollback, it took me back to last nights save!

So I lost about 2hrs of gameplay from all this crap!

I'm convinced health, fire, and crime ren't an issue until you build the building to combat them.

Will add a clinic or two , but my health costs are the most expensive cost I have lol

Lol took me forever to figure that out. My sim were protesting about germs so i deploy the dump/landfill, recycle center, max out on the trash trucks, burn trash, ect ect ect... so now it was one of the most expensive cost following by education. It wasnt until someone need to go to the hospital/clinic that had none in his area that i deploy a clinic cause i didnt have the funds to buy a hospital.

Next thing i know, my protester quit protesting lol

Maybe I suck at the game, but I've noticed it's impossible to maintain a balanced budget without huge income from specializations. Ultimately it means that every city will have to be an importer because natural resources get used up eventually. With the map sizes the way the are, you can't expand to find more resources. This increases your expenses even further.

Played for hours today. Have tech going and tourism and exporting and nuclear power. Having a blast today considering all that went on during the week.

I won't be buying this game despite being a SimCity fan till :-

1. They allow larger cities
2. Fix the broken crap and broken AI

If they do this I'm even willing to forgive the online DRM. Maybe they'll do this in a special edition in 6 months, maybe not depending on how greedy EA is.

My city is overrun with crime and I'm pretty much at my limit as far as city size. Wish it was just a bit bigger.

I find this game just way too easy and constrained now.

I can layout the infrastructure and zoning for the entire map in under an hour, be making hundreds of thousands in a day without any specializations. Then just add a couple things like an expo center and a recycling plant + trade depo to export alloy for lots of extra income.

Then it's basically just sit back and add things to your hospital, fire, police, power, water and trash, and clean up after disasters.

Back