SimCity V (2013) - screens/artwork and information

Have a feeling we won't see the promised "Big 2.0 Patch" until June because they have their sights set on the Mac launch not repeating the PC launch.

If EA did a true simulation with connected cities the bandwidth to their servers would be ridiculous. EA cried about BF3 updating Battlelog during matches and how much bandwidth it was using. That's why now sometimes if you leave a match early you run the risk of losing your stats. With such a large following I can see why they had to get rid of certain features as they were clogging the bandwidth. Remember that their #1 priority is to save money to maximize profit for their investors.

If EA did a true simulation with connected cities the bandwidth to their servers would be ridiculous. EA cried about BF3 updating Battlelog during matches and how much bandwidth it was using. That's why now sometimes if you leave a match early you run the risk of losing your stats. With such a large following I can see why they had to get rid of certain features as they were clogging the bandwidth. Remember that their #1 priority is to save money to maximize profit for their investors.

They are the ones who decided to implement those "features" and as such taking them out is not excusable.

Anyone still questioning why EA was voted the worst company again...?...instead of fixing the game we get DLC promos for toothpaste.

And why the shit do I have to email a postcard to them instead of them just allowing me to register for it online...?

If you want to punish EA for this, skip the Crest and go with the mail. There is no limit to the number of entries. Just one per envelope so if you took the time to fill out 1000 of these, someone at EA would have to open, read and deal with each one of them.

Last edited:
If you want to punish EA for this, skip the Crest and go with the mail. There is no limit to the number of entries. Just one per envelope so if you took the time to fill out 1000 of these, someone at EA would have to open, read and deal with each one of them.

That would be justifying the marketing campaign and encourage them to continue the practice, whether or not it helped Crest sales. Ignore it, ignore the game, let it die. In 2-5 years we'll get a "City Builder Reborn" Kickstarter and hopefully get something worthwhile. Though I'd rather see a properly updated and improved Cities XL title.

Completely not surprised by the paid DLC for previously free content...a little surprised at the sponsor-esque nature where you have to give money to Crest to get your shit.

Anyone still questioning why EA was voted the worst company again...?...instead of fixing the game we get DLC promos for toothpaste.

Dude...we have banks that wrongly foreclosed on people's homes....and you're pissed off about...wait for it....paying a couple bucks for toothpaste to get DLC buildings?

Yes this sucks...but in the grand scheme of things you're missing the mountains due to focusing on the ant-hill.

That would be justifying the marketing campaign and encourage them to continue the practice, whether or not it helped Crest sales. Ignore it, ignore the game, let it die. In 2-5 years we'll get a "City Builder Reborn" Kickstarter and hopefully get something worthwhile. Though I'd rather see a properly updated and improved Cities XL title.

There was a kickstarter for a SimCity alternative with a target date for launch of November:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1584821767/civitas-plan-develop-and-manage-the-city-of-your-d

They setup their own boards here:

http://www.civitasgame.com/forum/index.php

There was a kickstarter for a SimCity alternative with a target date for launch of November:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1584821767/civitas-plan-develop-and-manage-the-city-of-your-d

I backed it, then pulled my funds after too many suspicious things about the devs. Looks like a fledging company that got really lucky with their timing. It'll be interesting to see what they produce, but I don't forsee a true replacement to Sim City coming from them.

also:
Funding Canceled Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on March 17.

Leaked screenshot of upcoming 2.0 patch

n3qa3yT.jpg

Still dissapointing.

No fixes for city size, STILL.

No fixes for AI, STILL!

Still dissapointing.

No fixes for city size, STILL.

No fixes for AI, STILL!

City size is never going to change.

But OMGWTFBBQ you have a mayor's mansion now!! Wow!! It only took a "major update" to add a baseline feature of all the previous games! Wow!

Hilarious! A Maxis Dev was quoted as saying...

MaxisToast said: "I will say it was never our intention to mislead anyone. Agents' lack of persistence was a necessary evil to build a simulation on this scale, and frankly we never implied otherwise. We did make an effort to be transparent about the kind of game we were making, but it's impossible to convey the whole experience until you put it in someone's hands.

What I feel happened here was simply players expecting something far beyond the scope of what we ever planned to build, largely because of the name SimCity. In fact, as a creative professional, I hope to never work on another big iteration of a major franchise ever again for this reason.

There is so much wrong with this statement its not even funny. All they did was mislead everyone, especially with the 1 hour beta sessions and the unnecessary DRM. Not to mention I replied to a thread on the EA forums and of course it was deleted. Stupid fucks.

"What I feel happened here was simply players expecting something far beyond the scope of what we ever planned to build, largely because of the name SimCity. In fact, as a creative professional, I hope to never work on another big iteration of a major franchise ever again for this reason. "

Holy smokes. "Because of the name SimCity". Thats like if Halo 5 became a card game and the developer tried to rationalize "Players expected something far beyond the scope of what we planned to build, largely because of the name Halo"

Sadly his excuse is hollow because SimCity4 is already far beyond what they accomplished in SimCity5 and that game was 10 years ago. They had an entire decade. Even with a bare minimum effort they couldve created pretty new artwork, made a few tweaks here and there and released it as SimCity5 and it would've been miles better than what they ended up actually releasing.

I am disgust.

Last edited:
I haven't booted up SC5 since near launch, and I'm really depressed thinking about it. Not just the money, but more importantly what could have been. Sad to see such a great series with such incredible promise suck so hard. :(

Holy smokes. "Because of the name SimCity". Thats like if Halo 5 became a card game and the developer tried to rationalize "Players expected something far beyond the scope of what we planned to build, largely because of the name Halo"

Sadly his excuse is hollow because SimCity4 is already far beyond what they accomplished in SimCity5 and that game was 10 years ago. They had an entire decade. Even with a bare minimum effort they couldve created pretty new artwork, made a few tweaks here and there and released it as SimCity5 and it would've been miles better than what they ended up actually releasing.

I am disgust.

With that attitude, he needs to be fired, and get a job in the fast food industry, where they also don't give a shit about doing things right. Seriously, expected too much? LOL.

Also the advertisement spoof was funny as hell. JCPenney, LOL! Great stuff.

I am disgust.

Yeah, this is why I hate reboots / reimaginings. Why change what's been already proven to work just fine in the last 4 iterations?

I am disgust.

I have a theory as to what happened and why this dev is pissy and wants nothing to do with future big-name titles.

After 10 years, and seeing the failing of DragonAge etc...Some (clueless) executive in an office at EA went in front of a committee/board meeting and pitched doing a SimCity sequel. Some idiot, probably also an executive, thought of the smash hit of SWTOR as an MMO and thought of bolting on more meaningful MMO-esque multiplayer.... which became someone else's also an executive pet project of making SC5 an entirely MMO-type game....executives being someone you suck up to, the Dev Team was probably politically coerced into making the product they did for fear of becoming unemployed game devs. A product they probably didn't like inside their own heads, but didn't speak up about.

Game gets released in pre-beta state WRT bugs/features. Dev Team is legitimately pissed off, as they probably didn't produce the game that any of the members personally wanted to make...and that they probably knew would flop to die-hard SC fans.

Then all the bad PR occurs at release...which makes the execs that pitched the idiotic game formula pissed off, thinking the dev team murdered their idea...rather than admitting the idea was moronic in the first place. Exec issue flak at Dev Team...making the Dev Team even more jaded at the whole affair.

City size is never going to change.

But OMGWTFBBQ you have a mayor's mansion now!! Wow!! It only took a "major update" to add a baseline feature of all the previous games! Wow!

Bet he goes home to a different mansion each night.

I don't have the game but from the patch notes I see they addressed the 100% residential issue, or at least attempted to.

Patchnotes to english translation: Means that RCI still doesn't work but they force an R-only city to fail if it's working for too long.

Unfortunately, creating a conditional rule doesn't address the cause of the problem - that the relationships that are supposed to exist between R, C and I are an illusion.

Surprise surprise! It looks like a lot of people on the EA forums are reporting major issues with the new patch. Most of the issues that were suppose to be addressed are still buggy. wow what a fucking mess.

Patchnotes to english translation: Means that RCI still doesn't work but they force an R-only city to fail if it's working for too long.
For an existing city, probably. The notes do say buildings will not level up without water/electricity, though. That may fix it for new cities.

Unfortunately, creating a conditional rule doesn't address the cause of the problem - that the relationships that are supposed to exist between R, C and I are an illusion.

Yup game is broken in how it wasn't designed...and actually fixing the underlying issue requires...like...work...and shit.

LOL patch 2.0 destroyed the whole game entirely....this is hilarious to watch, i guess there's no point in even bothering to launch the game.

LOL patch 2.0 destroyed the whole game entirely....this is hilarious to watch, i guess there's no point in even bothering to launch the game.

Link? I still like to watch EA flounder around in shit even though I didn't buy this game (and thank god I didn't). :p

I still like to watch EA flounder around in shit even though I didn't buy this game (and thank god I didn't). :p

Be very, very glad. I'm still kicking myself, and I thought I learned my lesson about pre-ordering games in the past.

Back