SimCity for $39.99 and more @Amazon

I don't think I've ever seen a new game drop from full price to 2/3 price in 3 weeks before (SimCity). That's horrible.

is this the new simcity or the one that came out like 20 years ago?

I don't think I've ever seen a new game drop from full price to 2/3 price in 3 weeks before (SimCity). That's horrible.

Check Greenmangaming more. They sell new / pre-orders for 40$ average most of the time.

This is a nice price.

is this the new simcity or the one that came out like 20 years ago?

Release Date: March 4, 2013

Last edited:
I think almost every game does this no? Main reason I stopped buying new games, within a month or two they're half off. Crysis 3 was $30 all last week.

And also I pre-ordered SimCity for $40 at Amazon. Well $45 with a $5 credit to be precise.

Thanks, OP. IN the last week, I've made about $60 back in price-matches at Best Buy off of Amazon sales.

I wouldn't assume its permanent. Remember this is the last week of EA's fiscal year which is why you see the current "player appreciation sale" on Origin, which is code for "oh shit let's pad the numbers with some last minute desperation sales". I'm pretty sure they've temporarily incentivized affiliate sales (which includes Amazon) which is the reason for the price.

I only got SC myself due to the Origin India thing, game is broken and no point in playing until a lot more patching occurs, but you can look at it like $40 for two games since for a few more days you get a free game (DS3, ME3, NFS, etc)

Last edited:
I believe Amazon is price matching the Target ad on Sim City. You can pick it up at Target for the same price if it's closer.

Looks like you can get the boxed version of Sim City for $35 ($5 cheaper!) with the purchase of...
SOAP. I'm not even kidding. Buy $15 of soap, get $20 off an EA title. lol.

Deal Link

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks like you can get the boxed version of Sim City for $35 ($5 cheaper!) with the purchase of...

Deal Link

wow LOL. Thought that was a joke.

Deal Link
That's just awesome.

I actually almost just bought it, then I saw the reviews on amazon

I actually almost just bought it, then I saw the reviews on amazon

Most of those are informed by the awful launch. Personally, once I could log in reliably (which I can now), it has been a pretty fun game. There's a lot going on, and I can see how I am missing things, but others are strange. For example, I have a bunch of medium-high density roads, but for some reason the houses are not getting any bigger despite having really good land value.

Similarly, traffic takes some getting used to, and they did a blog post on it recently that helped.

It's not perfect,. but it's been a lot of fun for me. As for who that is, I am not a SimCity afficianado or minmaxer. I come from the RollerCoaster Tycoon school of sims.

Deal Link

Like anyone who buys soap is going to buy Sim City. The purchase of those two items is mutually exclusive. *ducks*

Lol @ all the people who bought into the hyper and now let the game collect dust.

A friend of mine just lost an entire city because of a server crash. F this game royally.

Lol @ all the people who bought into the hyper and now let the game collect dust.

A friend of mine just lost an entire city because of a server crash. F this game royally.

Yup, this game is worth $5 at most.

Linking Dove soap with an EA game has to be one of the weirdest promo combo's I've seen.

Deal Link

This post sir is full of pure win! 1000x rep to you!

Yea it's an attempt to wash the game from all the shit it's full of.

Amazing.

Does anyone know if that "you bought SimCity. Here's a free EA game" promotion thing is still active? Meaning, if one were to take advantage of that Dove soap + Sim City deal, could we still also take advantage of the free game promotion as well?

Last edited:
Amazing.

Does anyone know if that "you bought SimCity. Here's a free EA game" promotion thing is still active? Meaning, if one were to take advantage of that Dove soap + Sim City deal, could we still also take advantage of the free game promotion as well?

Only if you bought and logged into it today. IIRC, today or tomorrow is the last day.

Tyler Durden says, use soap.

I could see a soap and Civilization bundle, but SimCity or EA for that matter :D Someone at EA has a sense of humor, that is for sure. Good deal none the less, everyone needs soap and no one wants to spend money on EA games :p

Don't give them any fucking money. You want them to stop pulling shit like they have been? You want them to change what they've been doing:

Dont give them a fucking DIME!

They won't change anything if they think they can get away with it and still sell games. And don't think you're getting the better of them by pulling some shift like taking advantage of some deal to get a game cheaper. You're not, your still adding to their player base. You're still boosting the numbers that they tout to their investors. You're still helping them get away with everything.

Don't even pirate it, that still helps them.

Last edited:
Did you guys not read the SimCity thread in the gaming section of this forum? Might want to read it before you pay $40 for this game.............................................................................

Did you guys not read the SimCity thread in the gaming section of this forum? Might want to read it before you pay $40 for this game.............................................................................

Yep, this. Kind of impressive that people still seem to think something less than $60 for this game is a deal. I would bet this game will be $5 by Christmas...

EA's new broken Sim City MMO?

No thank you. Not this time.

But thanks OP.:cool:

I bought it yesterday on Origin and it worked fine. I also still got the free game (grabbed Mass Effect 3). Couple friends have been playing and I joined their area.

Blah blah blah EA is evil, who cares...

I think almost every game does this no? Main reason I stopped buying new games, within a month or two they're half off. Crysis 3 was $30 all last week.
Starcraft 2 prices didn't go down until after 2 years. fyi

I'm with the crowd that refuses to buy anything EA. I mean i still haven't bought BF3 and it looks sick, but Arma III is looking to take its place for military shooter/open world fps.

Can't believe the price went down this fast, much faster than Resident Evil 6!

Starcraft 2 prices didn't go down until after 2 years. fyi

I'm with the crowd that refuses to buy anything EA. I mean i still haven't bought BF3 and it looks sick, but Arma III is looking to take its place for military shooter/open world fps.

Can't believe the price went down this fast, much faster than Resident Evil 6!

Uhhh, I bought it for $40 a month after launch ...

From everything I'm hearing from friends now, its running and a lot of fun. They did mention not being able to play the first week sucked. Personally speaking, not my kind of game.

Yea, it's working now. But guess what? They didn't even give you the full game when you bought it. Go expand your city a bit and watch when you hit a wall. You NEED to play online with other people to have a sustainable city, which isn't the point of this game (although they are pushing hard for that to be the point, to phase in microtransactions and other DLCs to suck more money out of your wallet, which is OK if it added more to the game, NOT OK to remove stuff that should be in the game, only to charge for it later)

If you want to expand your city more, or get any of the features that they are going to add later (which were included in the previous simcity games) you will need to shell out for DLCs to get what should be in the game in the first place.

You buying their games tells them and their investors th everything is A-OK and to continue as they are with DLCs which should have been in the base game, and microtransactions to win games (which they said all their games from now on will include).

I too wanted to pick up BF3 and ME3, and passed up on them just because of EAs shady tactics. SimCity is only the latest in a long line of fuckups making them THE shittiest gaming company IMO.

Yea, it's working now. But guess what? They didn't even give you the full game when you bought it. Go expand your city a bit and watch when you hit a wall. You NEED to play online with other people to have a sustainable city, which isn't the point of this game (although they are pushing hard for that to be the point, to phase in microtransactions and other DLCs to suck more money out of your wallet, which is OK if it added more to the game, NOT OK to remove stuff that should be in the game, only to charge for it later)

If you want to expand your city more, or get any of the features that they are going to add later (which were included in the previous simcity games) you will need to shell out for DLCs to get what should be in the game in the first place.

You buying their games tells them and their investors th everything is A-OK and to continue as they are with DLCs which should have been in the base game, and microtransactions to win games (which they said all their games from now on will include).

I too wanted to pick up BF3 and ME3, and passed up on them just because of EAs shady tactics. SimCity is only the latest in a long line of fuckups making them THE shittiest gaming company IMO.

QFT. I normally don't care what people do with their money as it's none of my business. However..People that are buying this are actually fucking it up for the rest of us. When my passion and longtime hobby begins to decay into faggotry it becomes my business.

Last edited:
The whole "if you pay for it, you're supporting the same thing later" claim is just fallacious. Look, EA, counter to public belief, is a big company designed to make money. They don't look JUSt at sales numbers. They look at player numbers too.
Consider Diablo III. Blizxzard has spent a LOT of money trying to fix the game so that player stay engaged, and more get into it. Why? Why waste all of those resources on a game with no subscription (and the RMAH doesn't count, they're not making real money off that)? Because they know they need to leave customers with a better taste in their mouths than what launched or they won't come back, independent of how many people bought it.

Same here.

EA's marketing department and CFO etc are all collecting silly amounts of customer data regarding hours played, hours played over time, trends in player access, sales trends etc. If they see a ton of people bought the game, and then stopped playing altogether, they aren't retarded... they know that means they have pissed off a lot of people. Similarly, if they see that a bunch of people only buy in when the issues are fixed, they now know what people hated, specifically, at launch.

This is why Ubisoft's DRM hasn't changed. People bought their games, and were going to anyway, but they didn't see a drop off because of the DRM. They saw that people played despite it, and were able to play despite it, and continued to play despite it. The Assassin's Creed games have pretty harsh DRM, and yet still sell like crazy.

So sales, while important, are not the only thing that EA is looking at, and represent only a small part of a longer marketing context.

Call me when it's $10, until then, no deal.

This...

Sadly though when it does hit $10, they'll have turned the servers off and you won't be able to play it anymore because it's that whole online only thing using their servers...

I could see if they guaranteed like say the servers would remain on for at least 5 years, but they could turn them off next year if they want to and you've got a nice $60 Frisbee to play with.

Or if their servers go down, then what? Storm, power outage, hacked whatever. It's ridiculous to have that constant connection to be able to play the game..and they don't promise the servers will remain up for you to play the game you paid for. I remember the SimCity games and I quite liked them, but I won't be getting this one at all as they've gutted the original experience that we enjoyed and turned it into an MMO that they can make money from by charging micro transactions and DLCs..

Back