Simavision - awesome HTPC addon

Hey everyone,

my name is David, I'm 17 years old and my team and I have built an awesome addon for any TV or monitor which illuminates background of your screen in real-time. It's open-source, works with Windows/Mac/Linux(any HTPC too), easy to set up and works wirelessly. It's has been made for HTPC since it works only with content synced from a PC. This is how it looks like:

LL

Currently, we are running a Kickstarter campaign for it. To make this thing a reality, we need help of you guys! Please, check our project on KS: http://kck.st/YhVl9v

Cheers!

saw this on verge or engadget looks cool....

not for me, but best of luck to you

It's still on Philips IP.

This has fail written on it.

I have alot of AmBX stuff, hoping this works, It's a cool effect, it's to bad Philips under developed it.

It's still on Philips IP.

This has fail written on it.

I wonder how high Philips' IP attorneys are waiting the kick starter to get before the lawsuit drops. I wouldn't be surprised if Philips waited in the weeds for this to become popular again, filed a lawsuit, then used the hype to boost their own products.

it says on the kickstarter page that's why the device requires software that has to be run on a PC and isn't just a device you can plug into any TV spliced in-line with the HDMI cable, to avoid Philips patents.

it says on the kickstarter page that's why the device requires software that has to be run on a PC and isn't just a device you can plug into any TV spliced in-line with the HDMI cable, to avoid Philips patents.

You don't know how patents work lol.

The system is screwed.

Thanks, I know how patents work. You don't think they hired a patent attorney to analyze every detail before beginning this large of a venture? They are clearly very well aware of the patents Phillips possesses as they reference them on the kickstarter page itself.

Thanks, I know how patents work. You don't think they hired a patent attorney to analyze every detail before beginning this large of a venture? They are clearly very well aware of the patents Phillips possesses as they reference them on the kickstarter page itself.

Funding has been cancelled and I could not find any mention of phillips on the page.

Ah-ha, my bad, this whole time I have been viewing the Lightpack kickstarter page and not the Simavision one. They are pretty similar products indeed.

Funding has been cancelled and I could not find any mention of phillips on the page.

The OT (Simavision) does not have any info regarding patent technology. That could lead to patent lawsuits and a failed product launch.

I believe VulcaN was referring to LightPack though, which does indeed specify that Philips holds certain patents in similar technology, but that they worked with Patent lawyers to make sure they were not infringing on any of Philips patents. They specifically state that this is why a computer hookup and software solution is necessary, rather then a solution that just uses a video source (eg: plug your hdmi cable from your blu-ray player into a box, then pass thru to TV).

Is there still the potential for a patent lawsuit? Hells yeah. But that's only because of how BS the patent system has gotten, and where large companies with deep pockets can sue over something that doesn't necessarily break any patents at all.

Back