SilverStone Tundra TD02 & TD03 CPU Liquid Coolers Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
SilverStone Tundra TD02 & TD03 CPU Liquid Coolers Review - Silverstone is stepping in to the sealed all-in-one CPU cooler market which is far from deserted. Silverstone is however bringing some features to the segment which some others do not have. It is touting better radiator designs and builds as well as a better water block design. Will these features make a difference to the end user?

These are pretty nice. I was debating on whether or not to grab one of these, but there wasn't enough reviews out so I went for the H80i. If I had seen this review over a month ago I would of got one.

Thanks for the review.

This might be of some interest to others.

The absolute best AIO water cooling kit you can get isn't even sold in America. It blows away anything on the US market. In fact It was so good of a product that lawsuits starting flying around, because of the pump and it was pulled from the US market. You can still find it overseas.

H320 CPU Liquid Cooling Kit

http://www.swiftech.com/h320.aspx

Thanks for the review.

The absolute best AIO water cooling kit you can get isn't even sold in America. It blows away anything on the US market. In fact It was so good of a product that lawsuits starting flying around, because of the pump and it was pulled from the US market. You can still find it overseas.

Thanks for the link, that baby just went on my wishlist.

Thanks for the review.

That is interesting. Had no idea that existed.

Was looking pretty much in-line with all the other AIO water coolers until I scrolled down to sound levels.

Pretty epic fail, right there... the TD02 and TD03 are both ridiculously loud for the performance they offer.

Thanks for the review.

wow... never heard of that one. A brief glance at the patents being used to keep if off the market and they definitely appear to be superfluous patent trolling bullshit. But what else is new in the world of "inventions" :rolleyes:

Page Three, First paragraph. "I am very interested to see how this unit will perform since it may be the one more people go for."

Was looking pretty much in-line with all the other AIO water coolers until I scrolled down to sound levels.

Pretty epic fail, right there... the TD02 and TD03 are both ridiculously loud for the performance they offer.

The Fans are PWM. This review has them at 100% at all times. 2500rpm is going to be loud no matter what you do.

The Fans are PWM. This review has them at 100% at all times. 2500rpm is going to be loud no matter what you do.
Yeah, and the two coolers barely kept up with the equivalent Corsair units (which DID NOT need their fans blaring away).

The TD02 offers equivalent performance to the H110, but is 4.8 dBA louder and is the same price.
The TD03 offers equivalent performance to the H90, but is 5.7 dBA louder and $14 more expensive.

But what really brings it home is the fact that the TD02 is beaten by the NZXT X60 (on low fan speed, no less). The NZXT X60 offers better performance, is 8.4 dBA quieter, and is $11 cheaper than the TD02.

Any way you slice it, it looks bad.

Last edited:
Yeah, and the two coolers barely kept up with the equivalent Corsair units (which DID NOT need their fans blaring away).

The TD02 offers equivalent performance to the H110, but is 4.8 dBA louder and is the same price.
The TD03 offers equivalent performance to the H90, but is 5.7 dBA louder and $14 more expensive.

But what really brings it home is the fact that the TD02 is beaten by the NZXT X60 (on low fan speed, no less). The NZXT X60 offers better performance, is 8.4 dBA quieter, and is $11 cheaper than the TD02.

Any way you slice it, it looks bad.

Both pairs of Corsair and NZXT coolers were 140mm based so they are not really equivalents compared to TD02 and TD03 which are 120mm based units.

I was hoping Marc would have noted the noise (or lack of noise) from the pump as that's something you can't change in an AIO cooler (fans can be swapped easily if one needs quieter or better performing ones). Both TD02 and TD03 have very quiet pump without the typical high-pitch whine.

I'm actually pretty sure the are of Coolit design, and I believe coolit has an agreement with Asetek.

No Coolit is fighting them in court. Basically as it is Asetek doesn't want to piss of remarkers like Silverstone, Corsair, Antec, and ect. So they are suing Coolit and anyone else actually building a CPU based pump.

In their defense (Asetek), they did come up with and patent it long before everyone else, and they aren't sitting on it. They are producing products based on their design. The biggest problem I have is their attempts to monopolize the CLC market (the only general consumer water cooling option) by not licensing the tech.

Thanks for the review.

I'm glad I got my h220 kit when I did, as that's not for sale either now. h320 would have been great, and would have fit nicely in my 800D.

No Coolit is fighting them in court. Basically as it is Asetek doesn't want to piss of remarkers like Silverstone, Corsair, Antec, and ect. So they are suing Coolit and anyone else actually building a CPU based pump.

In their defense (Asetek), they did come up with and patent it long before everyone else, and they aren't sitting on it. They are producing products based on their design. The biggest problem I have is their attempts to monopolize the CLC market (the only general consumer water cooling option) by not licensing the tech.

So basically, there will either be a settlement, or we will have "AIO" designs with the pump attached to the radiator, or just as an inclusion in the loop?

I'm glad I got my h220 kit when I did, as that's not for sale either now. h320 would have been great, and would have fit nicely in my 800D.

So basically, there will either be a settlement, or we will have "AIO" designs with the pump attached to the radiator, or just as an inclusion in the loop?

My guess is the Acetek will be forced to take a managable settlement on already sold production and damages, and forced to openly license that patent at a reasonable rate.

All Coolit has to show is that A.) They produced the product not knowing that they patent was going to get rejected B.) That as soon as they found out that there was a patent that their products would infringe on that they attempted to license the tech (Acetek not willing to license at any cost is going to hurt them here, they aren't Apple, they should have asked for the moon instead) C.) That it isn't viable to create a non infringing part that customers would buy (that horrible pump on fan one I saw would never sell). They can do that the court will be really nice to them. Even if they started building the units knowing the competing patent, I can still see them getting a pretty lenient treatment legally.

Either way, these types of AIO coolers have serious design flaws. One of my Swiftech H220 pumps seized up in less than 3 weeks. This new one had a lot of air in it. Even with the reservoir at the top of the radiator. I've read about Corsair's failing often as well. Either way custom loops seem to be the real way to go.

I don't see Asetek getting much out of anyone since everyone is getting around this by selling outside the US.

Both pairs of Corsair and NZXT coolers were 140mm based so they are not really equivalents compared to TD02 and TD03 which are 120mm based units.
I was comparing price vs. performance, and these SilverStone coolers still fail spectacularly on that front compared to the coolers [H] pitted them against.

Anyone with 140mm mount points (or anyone who's handy with a drill) can pretty much write these off.

For a company with probably best 180mm fans on market it's rather dissapointing they don't have 1x180cm variant instead :)

Back