SILVERSTONE TJ08E - New MicroATX Case

On the Maximus Gene V, you can only change the Duty Cycle, with the lowest being 60% which makes the AP181 run at ~780rpm.

I wish I could get it down to 600-700rpm in BIOS, but that doesn't seem possible. Not for this mobo at least.

Did you try using fanxpert in AI Suite?

Besides the included speed switch, you can use the motherboard to control AP181's fan speed via voltage adjustment. Nearly all enthusiasts motherboards nowadays allow you to do this and it's free.

So I highly recommend that you guys give AP181 a second chance before buying another fan. The AP181 is capable of starting as low as 5V so it will spin down to 500rpm, which should be really quiet. We have a Q&A section on the AP181 product page that goes into a little bit more detail on what you can do:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=258&area=en#tab6

Here is also another really good article on software fan control that could be applied to AP181 (and other case fans):
http://www.silentpcreview.com/SpeedFan

Even when using the 5V adapter, and having the fan at 700rpm, that is only 80 cfm @ 18db, compared to the Phobya which is 700rpm 100cfm @ 18db.

The X58 needs as much cooling as possible, 20CFM is alot....and we want it quiet....The Silverstone cant do what the Phobya does at 700rpm.

Definitely thinking of pulling the trigger on this case. I just want to know if I will have any issues installing Crossfire 5850s and a Corsair H60 with this chasis. Are there any pictures out there where people had similar configs?

Definitely thinking of pulling the trigger on this case. I just want to know if I will have any issues installing Crossfire 5850s and a Corsair H60 with this chasis. Are there any pictures out there where people had similar configs?

I bought this case for my girlfriend, and I currently have an Antec 920 Kuhler installed with 2 120mm fans.

It fits perfectly in the case, when it comes to crossfire I cannot comment, but she does have a 7950 installed with the arctic silver cooler on it which takes up 3 slots and fits decently.

Never mind! Found my answer...

SilverstoneTJ08E-00.jpg

SilverstoneTJ08E-01.jpg

SilverstoneTJ08E-02.jpg

131313_10100349143066419_418913822_o.jpg

Just waiting for the right game to come along to buy a video card. They lose value too quickly for me to purchase right now without putting it to full use.

I replaced the front fan on this case with the Phobya G-Silent 18 700 RPM fan, with a 7V 3 pin adapter, connected to my chas_1 location on an Asus Gene-Z IV MB.

The fan RPM I have seen vary from 200 RPM to 400 RPM.

Can someone tell me why I am unable to control the fan with the speedfan settings in the Asus suite? I can view the fan speed; but I cannot adjust it at all.

Is this because the 7V adapter fixes the RPM or do I have to connect it another way to vary the speed? I have no problem as it is running now; but not sure if it would need to be physically ramped up at some point in the future.

Thanks!

Not sure if the Gene-Z is the same, but my Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe board cannot control fan speed unless it's PWM. I wouldn't be surprised if Asus is doing that on all of their boards now :(

Not sure if the Gene-Z is the same, but my Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe board cannot control fan speed unless it's PWM. I wouldn't be surprised if Asus is doing that on all of their boards now :(

Keep in mind that that is also an ITX board. It might have lower threshold room with voltage regulation so they restrict it to 4 pin only for the stability and efficiency due to the way PWM controls fans..

IIRC, that is also true of the 4 pin headers on my P8Z77M-Pro. My hypothesis is that any of Asus's latest boards do not support voltage fan regulation on 4 pin headers...

IIRC, that is also true of the 4 pin headers on my P8Z77M-Pro. My hypothesis is that any of Asus's latest boards do not support voltage fan regulation on 4 pin headers...

I guess I don't have a problem as my temps. are stable so far in the very early part of testing. I am curious how the fan speed is varying from 200-400 RPM as it is connected now? What is controlling it and will it ramp it up to the max. of the fan, 700 RPM if necessary?

What you guys think utilizing the maingear 180 rad for cpu cooler ,this would work wonders . Not only that but just think about a gpu conversion with the h70 for gpu
5956163810_8105928852_b.jpg

5975296899_cb1ced8e9c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Is there any 4pin-PWM to 3-pin fan controller available which we can use with the stock fan...?

I like the positive pressure of this case, which means using only the intake fan and use a CPU cooler to direct/stream the air flow out of the back. (with no exause fan), however the fan stays put at a fixed speed. I would like the mother board to control it based on CPU load/temps.

G

Is there any 4pin-PWM to 3-pin fan controller available which we can use with the stock fan...?

There is the Sunbeamtech Rheosmart PCI which converts one PWM signal to volts. But it's hard to find outside the US. Another one is the Nanoxia PWMX which works okay. It has a less broad range but that range can be also varied manually.

What you guys think utilizing the maingear 180 rad for cpu cooler ,this would work wonders . Not only that but just think about a gpu conversion with the h70 for gpu
5956163810_8105928852_b.jpg

5975296899_cb1ced8e9c_b.jpg

I was thinking very similarly, though I wasn't aware of the 180mm maingear unit... I was thinking of adapting the H90. I like your idea better.

Instead of converting the H70 for GPU, just use Accelero Hybrid

On the Maximus Gene V, you can only change the Duty Cycle, with the lowest being 60% which makes the AP181 run at ~780rpm.

I wish I could get it down to 600-700rpm in BIOS, but that doesn't seem possible. Not for this mobo at least.

That's not true. I have a Maximus V Gene, with AP181 set to its full speed and using the Asus FanXpert software, I'm running it on ~450 RPM on idle and it gets up to 700 RPM under load. Perfect.

This lil guy has been all but forgotten around these parts. I was missing my old one and picked up another to play with a watercooled build:

http://imgur.com/a/jnXVj

Components:

CPU - Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard - Asus Z87i-Deluxe
RAM - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP
GPU - Asus Radeon R9 290X
PSU - Corsair AX850

Watercooling components:

CPU waterblock - Koolance 380i
GPU waterblock - Aquacomputer Kryographics (Nickel/Plexi), passive backplate
Reservoir - Monsoon Series 2 Premium D5 Dual Bay Reservoir
Radiator - Phobya Xtreme 200mm Radiator
Fittings - Bitspower Compression Fittings (3/8ID 5/8OD)
Tubing - Feser

Tubing was originally to be some Purple Primochill Advanced LRT, but I had such a horrible time attempting to use it I ditched it completely.

Last edited:
Wow why didn't I know about this? Well here is my TJ08-E :)

680x680px-LL-16bf474a_IMG_4399.jpeg

Specs
#BEASTmode Main Rig (TJ08-E)

Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz (Swiftech Water-Cooled)
Asus Maximus Gene V Motherboard
XFX HD7970 Black Edition Double Dissipation (CrossfireX @ 1175mhz)
MSI HD7970 Twin Frozr III OC Boost Edition (CrossfireX @ 1175mhz)
Corsair 16gb Vengeance Ram LP
Crucial M4 128gb SSD
Seagate 2TB 7200rpm HDD
Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E Case
Swiftech Apogee Drive II
Swiftech Komodo 7900 x 2
Swiftech 120mm XP Radiator
Swiftech MicroRev 2
Magicool 180mm Radiator
Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP29 x 3 @ 3000rpm controlled by Asus FanXpert

#beastMODE Lan Rig (SG05):

Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz (Swiftech Water-Cooled)
Asus Maximus Impact VI Motherboard
Nvidia GTX 780Ti
Corsair 8gb Vengeance Ram LP
Crucial M500 128gb SSD M.2 NGFF
Western Digital Black 750GB 7200rpm HDD
Silverstone Sugo SG05 Case
Swiftech Apogee Drive II
Swiftech Komodo 780Ti (Pending)
Swiftech 120mm XP Radiator
Swiftech MicroRev 2
Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP29 x 2 @ 3000rpm controlled by Asus FanXpert

My next step is Haswell-E X99 with a Asus Rampage Gene, and CrossfireX R9 290X

How's that Swiftech Microres been treating you? I've heard bad things about their reliability that made me shy away in the past.

I was considering the X99 route for a future TJ08-E build as well as I had read they'd only have 4 DIMMs due to the nature of DDR4 (perfect for mATX), but after seeing the Evga X99 prototype with 8 DIMMs I'm not so sure.

How's that Swiftech Microres been treating you? I've heard bad things about their reliability that made me shy away in the past.

I was considering the X99 route for a future TJ08-E build as well as I had read they'd only have 4 DIMMs due to the nature of DDR4 (perfect for mATX), but after seeing the Evga X99 prototype with 8 DIMMs I'm not so sure.

The Swiftech MicroRes has worked out great for me in two of my builds, I have since moved on with a 5.25" Bitspower Bay Reservoir. Still waiting on an X99 setup, as I was able to secure a couple Sapphire VAPOR-X R9 290X 8gb cards in crossfire.

The progress of my Silverstone TJ08-E Rebuild #Phase02

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

Build Log: Link

Have been using my tj08e-b for a couple years or so now, finally went sli with a couple 780's on air.

Spread them apart a little (the cards have wiggle room without being screwed down) and have a 120mm Noctua at the end blowing straight down the middle of the cards and out the back, plus I also have a couple Fractal 92mm on the side of them blowing air onto them.

Thought about turning the 92mm around but this config is keeping the cards at 81c and below no matter what games I play at 1440p/highest settings...far cry 4, gta 5, heavensward bench and I never need to turn the fans up over 50% so it's not that loud.

Last edited:
Tony Ou: After having hard times reassembling machines in FT02s in small space (and cable management failure with 5*SST-CP05, which sucks and CP05-SAS nowhere to find), I've bought TJ08-E to quickly assemble RAID10. This are my impressions (I'm comparing it to other cases I've got: FT02, TJ11 and GD01-MX)
+ best engineered case I've got. The smallest one, but the easiest to play with. Fits virtually any GPU *2 (unlike FT02/TJ11), 2* 5.25" optical drives, 3.5" multimedia card reader, 4* 3.5" HDDs
and Noctua D15S (but you must use SST-CP06), Corsair AX850 PSU (and all it at once). It also fits 1*2.5" SSD, but there so much space around 5.25" cage, behind the mobo, that you can install even twenty additionally ;-)

And while case case is really well engineered, fits plenty of stuff, provides good airflow(180" AP181) and is really slick/nice/elegant, it has few downsides:

- feels pretty cheap(in comparison to mine other cases), walls are really thin and flimsy with thin alu plate over plastic front.... (Corsair Obsidian quality, definitely not Lian Li and legacy Silverstone). It's said, because it's called 'Temjin'....at least it's leightweight(feels like nothing, after carefully moving FT02 forth and back to lay on sofa (to change something in it ;-)

- PSU screw's holes are offset ~0.5mm down from where they should be, I had to use great force to position Corsair AX850 Gold to screw it at all (I haven't screwed it totally, and threads already are fatiqued). PSU mounted with vent facing up/top (getting fresh air)

- 3.5" bays are off-centered - for internals it looks even better with big coolers, like Noctua D15s(it stays in-line). But for external bay, it looks odd. Not a big deal. I guess it's for DTX compatiblity(am I wrong there?)

- single(dot style) external bays screw-holes - works OK for average drives/devices - but some needs some offset and if your are using i.e. additional brushed-alluminum bezels for optical drives(like CoolerMaster AFP-U02), they need offset. Small thing, but such omission really sucks (older Silverstone cases I've got, dont have such mistakes)
tj08-e-inside-zoom.jpg
tj11-inside-zoom.jpg

- very wide cutouts (around 3mm) in aluminum front panel around 3.5mm audio inputs exposing underneath plastic(looks really ugly). At 1st I thought this was simply stupid design and I must accept and live with that. (or maybe modify it to 6.35mm jacks and add headphones/mic amps).
But yesterday I've spotted pics on overclock.net(from 2014) exposing original TJ08-E without such cutouts, having also labels higher(they were moved lower, because of cutouts in redesigned version. On angled pictures you can see theres a bit of distance(less han 0.5mm), that was probably causing problems with some jacks) Also found pugetsystems.com review from 2011 with identical TJ08-E.
Now I do wonder how many such cases(without wide cutouts) were produced and how hard would be to spot such case in Europe(or even better in Poland)
TJ08-E-01.jpg
2_2a_2a19f7d5_IMG_6314-zoom.png
pic_disp-zoom.jpeg

- ASS-UGLY glossy/plastic PSU filter (SST-FF141B)
While I love nearly everything about this case, I really cannot stand that shiny, plastic, ugly thing on solid top[otherwise]. Looks more like Raven(not Temjin or even Fortress) . Could you put there (and official TJ08-e) recommendation about another/alternative/nicer PSU dust filter? I really think you owe that for TJ08-e community (and it should be easy for you in Silverstone headquarters if you still got TJ08-e/PS07/KL06/C330 around to try slapping some dust filters on top). I was considering SST-FF143B(is it black matte?) or Gelid SL-Dust-04, but not sure about colors and if corners are round enough(probably there are some better alternatives, and I'm judging only by pictures and not proper on-case comparison)
tj08-e-4.jpg

-

Tony Ou: Another complain is Silverstone page about TJ08-e (archive with upscaled low-res photos) and unreadable manual (probably scanned in low-res. PS07 also got low-res bitmap shit, while CS330 and KL06 got proper vector-based text and schematics). It looks like planned, internal diversion... ;-)

Attachments

• 3_38_38414218_IMG_6318.png
    3_38_38414218_IMG_6318.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Tony Ou: After having hard times reassembling machines in FT02s in small space (and cable management failure with 5*SST-CP05, which sucks and CP05-SAS nowhere to find), I've bought TJ08-E to quickly assemble RAID10. This are my impressions (I'm comparing it to other cases I've got: FT02, TJ11 and GD01-MX)
+ best engineered case I've got. The smallest one, but the easiest to play with. Fits virtually any GPU *2 (unlike FT02/TJ11), 2* 5.25" optical drives, 3.5" multimedia card reader, 4* 3.5" HDDs
and Noctua D15S (but you must use SST-CP06), Corsair AX850 PSU (and all it at once). It also fits 1*2.5" SSD, but there so much space around 5.25" cage, behind the mobo, that you can install even twenty additionally ;-)

And while case case is really well engineered, fits plenty of stuff, provides good airflow(180" AP181) and is really slick/nice/elegant, it has two downsides:
- feels pretty cheap(in comparison to mine other cases), walls are really thin and flimsy with thin alu plate over plastic front.... (Corsair Obsidian quality, definitely not Lian Li and legacy Silverstone). It's said, because it's called 'Temjin'....at least it's leightweight(feels like nothing, after carefully moving FT02 forth and back to lay on sofa (to change something in it ;-)
- ASS-UGLY glossy/plastic PSU filter (SST-FF141B)
While I love nearly everything about this case, I really cannot stand that shiny, plastic, ugly thing on solid top[otherwise]. Looks more like Raven(not Temjin or even Fortress) . Could you put there (and official TJ08-e) recommendation about another/alternative/nicer PSU dust filter? I really think you owe that for TJ08-e community (and it should be easy for you in Silverstone headquarters if you still got TJ08-e/PS07/KL06/C330 around to try slapping some dust filters on top). I was considering SST-FF143B(is it black matte?) or Gelid SL-Dust-04, but not sure about colors and if corners are round enough(probably there are some better alternatives, and I'm judging only by pictures and not proper on-case comparison)

Tony Ou: Another complain is Silverstone page about TJ08-e (archive with upscaled low-res photos) and unreadable manual (probably scanned in low-res. PS07 also got low-res bitmap shit, while CS330 and KL06 got proper vector-based text and schematics). It looks like planned, internal diversion... ;-)
The top PSU vent on the TJ08-E was designed specifically for FF141 filter so no, the FF143 (matte black) won't fit perfectly on it. Though if you are handy with cutting, you could shave off the corners on the FF143 filter a bit to make it fit better.

And yeah, the TJ08-E and PS07 have been EOL'd for a while now, we unfortunately won't be updating their product pages anymore!

The top PSU vent on the TJ08-E was designed specifically for FF141 filter so no, the FF143 (matte black) won't fit perfectly on it. Though if you are handy with cutting, you could shave off the corners on the FF143 filter a bit to make it fit better.

And yeah, the TJ08-E and PS07 have been EOL'd for a while now, we unfortunately won't be updating their product pages anymore!
Thanks for reply.
I've also updated my posts with more questions/issues and pics, but I'm mostly interested in how hard it could be to spot TJ08-E without wide audio cutouts in Europe(are they really rare? I would really like to have one, and fix jack connector itself, without toucinh metal front panel cover itself)

About fan filters, I should have tomorrow "S SIENNOC ‎OC-1341" delivered, that Amazon recommended for me when viewing "Silverstone" results. On photos looks identical like FF143, but costs only 4EUR. Looks like it's OEM or perfect rip-off.
So cheap that I can buy more of them and cut, cuut and cut one after one until perfect fit ;-)

My last question about this case is how PSU and fans should be mounted. Some people claimed on forums that TJ08-E manual states that PSU fan inlet should be directed down (unless it's PSU with passive cooling).
I couldn't find that in manual, and for it's obvious that's not '90s with multiple less power hungry(so less heat) components usually having PSU as only air outake(and only case fan), and there's a reason that today PSUs are mounted on case bottom to have fresh/cool air (you don't want to overheat your pricey PSU, lessening it's lifespan). I do also wonder about usefulness of outtake 120mm fan (I've mounted Noctua D15S with two 138mm in pul-pull config, next to HDDs, so no space for pull config or outtake fan. I'm only asking, because maybe SilverStone already properly benchmarked it and you've got answers already ;-)

About TJ08-E being EOL, I do wonder if Silverstone got better replacement for it, having metal front, 180mm AP and at least two 5.25" bays?
I'm also impressed how well SG016 is engineered with best compromise of size and performance(like TJ08-E fits nearly any AMD GPU), but it looks meh(but still best mITX case and only with proper dust filtration) and doesn't have any 5.25" bays(even non deep, for something like Aquaero or iMON VFD) for customization.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for reply.
I've also updated my posts with more questions/issues and pics, but I'm mostly interested in how hard it could be to spot TJ08-E without wide audio cutouts in Europe(are they really rare? I would really like to have one, and fix jack connector itself, without toucinh metal front panel cover itself)

About fan filters, I should have tomorrow "S SIENNOC ‎OC-1341" delivered, that Amazon recommended for me when viewing "Silverstone" results. On photos looks identical like FF143, but costs only 4EUR. Looks like it's OEM or perfect rip-off.
So cheap that I can buy more of them and cut, cuut and cut one after one until perfect fit ;-)

My last question about this case is how PSU and fans should be mounted. Some people claimed on forums that TJ08-E manual states that PSU fan inlet should be directed down (unless it's PSU with passive cooling).
I couldn't find that in manual, and for it's obvious that's not '90s with multiple less power hungry(so less heat) components usually having PSU as only air outake(and only case fan), and there's a reason that today PSUs are mounted on case bottom to have fresh/cool air (you don't want to overheat your pricey PSU, lessening it's lifespan). I do also wonder about usefulness of outtake 120mm fan (I've mounted Noctua D15S with two 138mm in pul-pull config, next to HDDs, so no space for pull config or outtake fan. I'm only asking, because maybe SilverStone already properly benchmarked it and you've got answers already ;-)

About TJ08-E being EOL, I do wonder if Silverstone got better replacement for it, having metal front, 180mm AP and at least two 5.25" bays?
I'm also impressed how well SG016 is engineered with best compromise of size and performance(like TJ08-E fits nearly any AMD GPU), but it looks meh(but still best mITX case and only with proper dust filtration) and doesn't have any 5.25" bays(even non deep, for something like Aquaero or iMON VFD) for customization.
The wider cutout for audio ports on the front panel was implemented sometimes in late 2011, this was part of the V1.1 update that also included other minor improvements. So there are approximately one year worth of V1.0 TJ08-E produced, which will be difficult to find now. 5.25" drive bay mounting holes with offset was added in early 2012 for the V1.2 update. For those of you curious, below is a list of TJ08-E version changes over the years:

V1.1 - Strengthening front I/O base, wider cutout for audio ports, strengthening 3.5" drive cage, enlarging 3.5" drive cage screw pass-through, replace hard drive screws with longer ones
V1.2 - Add additional offset (oval) mounting holes to 5.25" drive bay
V1.3 - Tooling adjustment for added structural rigidity
V2.0 - Internal chassis thickness increase from 0.6mm to 0.7mm
V2.1 - Adapter cable updated
V2.2 - Adapter cable removed, manual update
V2.3 - Tooling adjustment for bottom panel, left & right brace, and 3.5" drive cage
V2.4 - Retail box re-size, remove manual, adds warranty card, screw number adjustment
V2.5 - 180mm fan updated with 200mm mounting holes.

I don't have the exact time of when these version changes where implemented into actual production but this gives you an idea of the constant updates we do for cases like the TJ08-E. Some are to improve production yield or efficiency so they do not change the user experience.

As for PSU and fan placements, that will largely depend on the rest of hardware components you install. During development, we had having PSU fan facing down to be a little better for GPU (reference blower type), but if you have GPU with different configuration, or your PSU has very slow spinning fans, results could be different. Exhaust fan is always helpful, but if your cooler prevent you have installing one, then you should be fine too.

Our Redline RL08 was to be a modern successor to the TJ08-E, just without the 180mm fan and two 5.25" drive bays:
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=862

Is the CS330 actively being sold in any markets? I remember it being the exact TJ08-E chassis, except with 3x 3.5" hotswap bays as default into the 2x 5.25" slots. I assume it has all of the revisions mentioned above.

Is the CS330 actively being sold in any markets? I remember it being the exact TJ08-E chassis, except with 3x 3.5" hotswap bays as default into the 2x 5.25" slots. I assume it has all of the revisions mentioned above.
Yes, it's available to buy from places such as Amazon in North America. All revisions of TJ08-E included!

Back