SILVERSTONE TJ08E - New MicroATX Case

Low = Very quiet. High = Slightly loud and noticeable.

Interesting. What CPU + Speed? Fan settings?

i5 2500k@4Ghz and Fan at it's lowest speed (my case has a built in dial to control all the fans, as a downer I don't know at what RPM they are)

I set it up as intake in the supposed exhaust vent which might ruin your case's overall thermals but in the 600T it doesn't since there is an exhaust right on top and there is nothing hot on top besides the CPU

Your case is upside down :p
I took the picture when the case was laying on the side :p

i5 2500k@4Ghz and Fan at it's lowest speed (my case has a built in dial to control all the fans, as a downer I don't know at what RPM they are)

I set it up as intake in the supposed exhaust vent which might ruin your case's overall thermals but in the 600T it doesn't since there is an exhaust right on top and there is nothing hot on top besides the CPU
I'll experiment with Intake later and compare the results

My TJ08-E

bytes2
[/URL][/IMG]

Cheers for that and thanks iv just got it finished in time for bulldozer to be released lol.

Its just over 4 years old the motherboard and ram, maybe 2 years iv had the cpu and the graphics fairly new.

Its a Asus P5k-VM motherboard, Core2Quad Q9400 cpu, 4 gigs of 1066 Corsair Dominator ram, Palit 1GB GTX 560ti gpu, WD RE4 1 TB hard drive ( WD1003FBYX), etc etc

Yeah the front fan is a Phobya G-Silent 18 Fan and all the other fans in the PC are Noiseblocker M12-S1's

Gotta say for a cheap little case im quite impressed with it. Its front fan was way too loud and the steels a bit flimsy, etc but apart from that i like it.

Last edited:
Yeah i think its the shortest one you can get, its this one PALIT

I replaced the heatsink with this SCYTHE one and put a noiseblocker fan on it pulling air up towards the power supply along with an EK backplate. Temps are a lot better and the noise has decreased from a 37DB stock fan to an 8DB fan.

They should make it illegal to make a fan over 10db :p.

Yeah i think its the shortest one you can get, its this one PALIT

I replaced the heatsink with this SCYTHE one and put a noiseblocker fan on it pulling air up towards the power supply along with an EK backplate. Temps are a lot better and the noise has decreased from a 37DB stock fan to an 8DB fan.

They should make it illegal to make a fan over 10db :p.

I'd like to duplicate you're GPU set-up. It looks like you have the fan being powered by the PSU, is that correct? Can you hear it easily at 750 RPM? What temps do you get at load and idle?

No i use this cable by GELID. I only use the M12-S1's which are 3 pin fans so its not controllable it just always runs at full speed. If you wanted a fan which was controllable through the bios or software then probably the Noiseblocker Multiframe M12-PS would be quite good, although its too noisy for me.

The Noiseblockers are practically silent. Iv tried Noctua, Scythe, Silverstone, Lian Li etc fans and the Noiseblocker Multiframe M12-S1's are by far the best.

My temps before were, idle @ 35c and load @ 85c they are now idle @ 30c and load normally around 65c ish.

My power supply is also acting as an outake fan pointing down towards the graphics card pulling air away from it.

I got mines today.

IMG_20110824_195616.jpg

This was annoying to work with when you have a big cpu fan and a non-modular PSU.

My temps were alot better then my Antec one hundred I moved everything into
IMG_20110824_153258.jpg

the case is SMALL

Hey does anybody know if this case has any trouble with CORSAIR Vengeance ram? I do not know if they will fit with the hard drive cage in place.

Thanks in advance. :)

How's the build quality? Sturdy? Sides flimsy at all?

Its 0.6 mm steel, so the panels are thinner than im used to and have a bit of flex. However when building the case i haven't bent anything and everything seems really well put together so its not been a problem for me.

It did however annoy me slightly when i finished my build that i had these left over - 140mm fan filter, bay covers, hard drive cage, 3.5 bay holder, Silverstone badges, etc etc. There's a lot of metal and other stuff left over that i would have preferred not having and making the case 0.8 or 1.0mm thick instead.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7ZuywvSc-No/TlZwnrkd4CI/AAAAAAAACOs/rCz4PGmuCpo/s800/P1020455.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_rPHVrN4SAk/TlZzcFLSohI/AAAAAAAACPA/O5vf_3hyjoA/s800/P1020458.JPG

the board is GA-G41M-Combo,
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3505

I think although H80 might hit the CPU block, it still fits anyway,
because the height of H80 cpu block is been adjust to not exceed back panel,
the only problem I have is I can't adjust fan speed without removing it from the case :rolleyes:

I wonder how a set of low profile fans would perform on the radiator, something like a 120x12mm opposed to the 120x25mm that come with the h80. They would definitely resolve the space issues, not sure if you would suffer in noise/cooling - example here

Just received my case today, Compared to my original TJ08, it is awesome. The TJ08 was good, but this a lot better. I didn't install the HDD and power LEDs because I knew the original TJ08 was bright as hell. I couldn't stand them. Temps are pretty much the same as when I had my system on my motherboard box. I didn't have it in my TJ08 because I was preparing to change the case. You do not need a modular PSU if you are not using an ODD. You can just put the extra cable in the ODD area. I have an Antec HCG 520W PSU in the system and the extra cables are ziptied up in the ODD area.

Gripes:
1. Fan is LOUD at full speed. I really didn't expect it to be that loud since my noctuas are 1300rpm, in my experience the bigger the fan the quieter it is due to the frequency...not the case for the AP181. It has a 'growl' sound to it and is very loud. No way I will ever use it on high. Low speed is fine, Honestly, I cannot hear at low speed.
2. PSU filter is...tacky. Would have been nice to have a metal filter or just a fan grill. It also seems to come off very easily?

p1010528t.jpg

p1010527pxr.jpg

i have 4 sticks of Corsair Vengence on an Asus Maximus IV Gene z, anyone know if i fill up all 4 slots, will i be able to still use the HDD cage?

also i heard there was a problem with the usb 3.0 internal connector? anywork around?>

What CPU cooler is that? Fans look like Noctua but the heaksink doesn't.

Is that a 560ti Twin Frozr by any chance?

Just received my case today, Compared to my original TJ08, it is awesome. The TJ08 was good, but this a lot better. I didn't install the HDD and power LEDs because I knew the original TJ08 was bright as hell. I couldn't stand them. Temps are pretty much the same as when I had my system on my motherboard box. I didn't have it in my TJ08 because I was preparing to change the case. You do not need a modular PSU if you are not using an ODD. You can just put the extra cable in the ODD area. I have an Antec HCG 520W PSU in the system and the extra cables are ziptied up in the ODD area.

Gripes:
1. Fan is LOUD at full speed. I really didn't expect it to be that loud since my noctuas are 1300rpm, in my experience the bigger the fan the quieter it is due to the frequency...not the case for the AP181. It has a 'growl' sound to it and is very loud. No way I will ever use it on high. Low speed is fine, Honestly, I cannot hear at low speed.
2. PSU filter is...tacky. Would have been nice to have a metal filter or just a fan grill. It also seems to come off very easily?

p1010528t.jpg

p1010527pxr.jpg

Has anyone tried the Noctua NH-D14 in this case? Im stuck between it and the Corsair H80. My case is still on back order from ++++, hopefully it comes in soon!!!

Has anyone tried the Noctua NH-D14 in this case? Im stuck between it and the Corsair H80. My case is still on back order from ++++, hopefully it comes in soon!!!
The NH D14 will fit fine, depending on the mobo it will be really close to the GPU, and the you will need not so tall memory as the front fan will be over them, here some pics,

IMG_0262.jpg
IMG_0264.jpg

TJ08E06.jpg

Where's the cheapest place to pick one of these up? Looks like Newegg is out of stock.

Also, why would one choose the Temjin over a Fractal Define or Arc Mini?

Where's the cheapest place to pick one of these up?
Chepeast i seen is amazon, but also out of stock atm, Silverstone Tek Micro-ATX Mini-DTX, Mini-ITX Mid Tower Computer Case with Aluminum Front Panel and Steel Body TJ08B-E - Black $99 free shipping

Looks like Newegg is out of stock.
I bought mine from performance pcs, they seem to still have in stock, Silverstone Technology TJ08B-E Evolution Black Aluminum Front Micro Tower $98.99 + shipping.

The TJ08 is a smaller case, probably a little harder to work with, the Fractals are more traditional design, almost like the R3, just with 2 slots off. If i were to try water cooling in a micro atx, i would probably go with the Arc Mini, since it can fit a 240 rad on top, if i wanted a lot of hdds and more silent setup, i would go with Define Mini, but for pure gaming, with little hdds in, i prefer the TJ08E, it can fit very huge videcards, the Fractal will without the hdd cage, but i doubt you can fit a big sli/xfire setup.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks. I just picked up my 2500k from Micro Center with a Maximus IV Gene-Z so it looks like I'll be running pretty much the same setup you are. I don't really care about size, I guess I just like the novelty of mATX. The Core 1000 is tempting as I'm on a budget but no front panel internal-header USB3 is a dealbraker, as it is on all the Lian- Li cases.

Where's the cheapest place to pick one of these up? Looks like Newegg is out of stock.

For my mATX build, I chose this case over the Arc Mini due to the 8 pound difference in weight. I was so close to getting the Arc Mini due to the fact that I can mount a 240mm radiator (H100) to the top.

Coming from a Antec P180 Mini, I must say that this case is some what flimsy and cheap. Thin layer of steel and scratches really easy. Paint even wears off from the screws if its too tight lol. The side panels are a pain to slide in and remove.

The case is still pretty solid for its price range. Looks, weight, cooling, accessible fan filters, 2x front USB 3.0 ports. Overall, I would say its a decent case.

The Temjin is flimsier? I would be looking at the Silverstone FT03 as well but it's pretty pricey and I've heard a lot about build quality issues

Thanks!

Ended up going with the Fractal Design Mini instead. Might try the Temjin if I need something smaller in the future.

I'm actually glad the doors are thinner since the back can (always) get tight , not sure why more cases are not beveled/convex because this case got slightly over packed with cords in the back.

The doors are kind of a pain to get on and off but I've done it a bunch and still no problems, I even found myself leaning on the top of the case and it's more than sturdy enough.

This case is most appealing for it's design of being able to fit the longest and tallest into a small package and still keep it with in normal temps. (would like to see more placements for 2.5 drives,holes)

Coming from a Antec P180 Mini, I must say that this case is some what flimsy and cheap. Thin layer of steel and scratches really easy. Paint even wears off from the screws if its too tight lol. The side panels are a pain to slide in and remove.

The case is still pretty solid for its price range. Looks, weight, cooling, accessible fan filters, 2x front USB 3.0 ports. Overall, I would say its a decent case.

That's a bit disappointing. I'll wait until I can at least get the case for $99 with free shipping (hello Amazon?).

Has anyone tried to mount the PSU in the 5.25" bay area? Think it would make the top 120mm a lot more useful if this were possible.

Good Day TJ08-E Owners!

Im planning to buy a new TJ08-E but i wanna know first the
exact measurements yellow line and white line (REFERENCE PIC BELOW)

yellow line (from 2nd 5.25 slot bay up to the floor of the TJ08-e)
white line ( from the 200m fan up to the motherboard tray)

30canhs.jpg

i wanna try custom water cooling on the TJ08-E. and im wondering if a 240mm radiator will fit. :)

TIA GUYS! Hope you will help me on this! :)

Just finished building a new comp for a friend with this case. Didn't have any issues and was actually pretty surprised how easy it was for my first mATX build.

IMG_0329.jpg

Is the ODD cage removable?
Yes, here is a pic with both hdd cages removed. But you cant just removed the bottom one, as the top one is screwed and held by it.

225356d1313930684-silverstone-tj08-e-owners-club-setup1.jpg

Last edited:
Back