SILVERSTONE TJ08E - New MicroATX Case

Yeah, if anyone needs all those drives, SFF may not be the way to go. I will put a SSD swap drive in the 3.5 and an optical in the 5.25.

I actually like the tight fit. As long as there is room inside for a radiator and the HDD cage is removable, I'm good to go.

Seem like the PCI card support idea may have been dropped. No biggie.

just finished assembling my new desktop.. sharing some photos..

TJ08_i5_Z68-35.jpg

TJ08_i5_Z68-28.jpg

TJ08_i5_Z68_25.jpg

top cover removed, user manual and the accessories..

TJ08_i5_Z68-34.jpg

Last edited:
the removable HDD cage with anti-vibration inside, and video card support on top..

TJ08_i5_Z68_27.jpg

installing the DVD drive and PSU..

TJ08_i5_Z68-10.jpg

Last edited:
installing the motherboard, processor and RAM unto the removable motherboard tray..

TJ08_i5_Z68-12.jpg

installing the SSD on the bottom of the case, with the HDD cage removed first..

TJ08_i5_Z68-11.jpg

Last edited:
the 120mm Enermax fan that came free with the PSU, to be installed at the back of the case..

TJ08_i5_Z68-8.jpg

putting everything together..

TJ08_i5_Z68-19.jpg

Last edited:
TJ08_i5_Z68-17.jpg

TJ08_i5_Z68-18.jpg

Specification:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Pro3-M
RAM: 8GB A-Data DDR3 1600MHz XPG Gaming Series (2 x 4GB Kit)
SSD: 60GB OCZ Agility 3
HDD: 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue + 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green (External SATA)
ODD: Pioneer DVR-S19FXV DVD Writer
PSU: Enermax Modu 82+ II 625W
Case: Silverstone TJ08-E Evolution

Last edited:
Looks great by the looks of it seems you can fit a 2.5" ssd in the bottom aswell as a 3.5" card reader?

Oh gawd...don't do this to me, now I want to buy that case urgently :S

I have a question though, can you flip the psu? IMO is just wrong to have it with the exhaust on top as I think it would be better to use its fan as another exhaust for the case (I could be wrong, though).

The more I look at the case, the more I like it. Very, very small but very very functional, I think we have an absolute winner here...

Looks great by the looks of it seems you can fit a 2.5" ssd in the bottom aswell as a 3.5" card reader?
yes, you can fit a 3.5" card reader or another 3.5" HDD.

I have a question though, can you flip the psu?
yes, you can flip the PSU. there are mounting holes available for both orientation. i'm just checking the temperatures with this setup and will flip it later for another test.

excellent, thats what ill be doing then loosing the hdd cage, shame we have to wait a while longer to get them in the UK (always the case excuse the pun!) but ive just ordered a maximus IV gene-z for it today :D

Wow looks great, the original TJ08 was very limited in HDD space, this case is spot on and my new matx of choice

The CPU cooler support probably will help prevent those ol' bent pins while moving around a SFF with a large air cooler. Nice thought.

Firstly, thanks for the pics dm1179!! :)

Secondly, it does look like it's either/or with regards to installing an SSD and HDD at the bottom, which is a shame as I'd like to store one of each there and lose to cage as well. However, the manual recommends keeping the cage even if there are no drives in it to act as a guide for the airflow towards the HSF. I'd love to know what difference it makes, if any.

They also say to mount a PSU with a 120mm fan pointing downwards into the case but I'd be worried about it suffocating my GPU's fan... and anyway, why make a 140mm fan cover at the top if they recommend PSU's with 120mm+ fans pointing down or am I missing something.

This or the Fractal Design Arc Mini for me for sure though!

How did you get the case so early, dm1179?
i ordered all parts from my supplier in Hong Kong. sometimes, new hardware are released earlier in Asia.

the ZOTAC Z68-A-E ITX and ZOTAC Z68-B-E ITX Supreme were already available last 3rd week of June, which i was planning to get for a Lian-Li Q11 setup before i saw the TJ08-E case.

today, the AMD A8-3850 and A6-3600 APU, as well as several AMD A-75 mATX and ATX boards are available from supplier.

They also say to mount a PSU with a 120mm fan pointing downwards into the case but I'd be worried about it suffocating my GPU's fan... and anyway, why make a 140mm fan cover at the top if they recommend PSU's with 120mm+ fans pointing down or am I missing something.

The opening on the top of the case is for fanless PSUs, according to Silverstone (via email). Amusingly enough, while the manual text recommends that PSUs with fans be mounted in the fan-down position, the pictures in the manual have them mounted fan-up. Go figure.

The opening on the top of the case is for fanless PSUs, according to Silverstone (via email). Amusingly enough, while the manual text recommends that PSUs with fans be mounted in the fan-down position, the pictures in the manual have them mounted fan-up. Go figure.

Yeah really. Oh well, I'm sure neither people will test it out and see what works best for temps.

And....they need to put a filter for a fanless psu? You see, this little things are the ones that totally kill me.Then, you realise that something as simple as changing a vga is a PITA because the system is as user-friendly as a rock (ie, not at all) because EVERYTHING is screwed (yes, even the stupid slot protector, which my FT03 also has.

Even though, It looks fantastic. How much did you pay for it, mate? I just want to know what price should I expect...

based on my experience, i do recommend the TJ08-E for those looking for a small mATX case..

Plus points:
+ stylish aluminum front panel + steel body
+ two USB3.0 ports in front with true USB3.0 header (also includes USB3.0 to USB2.0 header converter, which i used for my Z68 board)
+ includes one 180mm Air Penetrator fan in front (with 2-speed switch on the right side: 700RPM/1200RPM)
+ all Black interior
+ quick access fan filter in front to prevent dust buildup
+ removable motherboard tray
+ oversized motherboard back plate opening (for quick CPU cooler assembly)
+ plenty of options for wire and cable management (with 9 cable tie bridges and 3 oval pass-thu holes)
+ removable HDD drive cage with anti-vibration padding + VGA support on top
+ generous storage capacity (can store up to five 3.5" HDD + one 2.5" HDD)
+ adjustable CPU cooler support (great for your large or heavy coolers)
+ space for up to 13.25" long video card
+ PSU can be installed in 2 ways (fan side up or fan side down)
+ magnetic fan filter on top (if you installed the PSU fan side up)
+ one 120mm rear fan slot
+ small size, 210mm(W) x 374mm(H) x 385mm(D)

Minus points:
- screw-type assembly for HDD and ODD (not much of an issue, but they could have made it tool-free)
- the 2.5" SSD/HDD location at the bottom is not too accessible (not much of an issue, you can use a 3.5" bracket and install it unto the HDD cage if you have free space) (also not an issue if you are not using an SSD)
- included screws are Silver color which does not match the Black interior (but you won't see them anyway once you close the case)

Any comments on how quiet / loud your setup is?
whisper quiet based on my current spec and testing. your configuration might be different though.

great lookling case, but cooling a higher end video card still seems a bit difficult with the layout of the case.

Amusingly enough, while the manual text recommends that PSUs with fans be mounted in the fan-down position, the pictures in the manual have them mounted fan-up.
yeah, i found it confusing too initially. they should have included two pictures, one for PSU fan-down and one for PSU fan-up, and when to use what.

so i decided to try out PSU fan-up first. temperatures are fine at the moment.

great lookling case, but cooling a higher end video card still seems a bit difficult with the layout of the case.
i won't be able to tell as i don't have a high-end video card yet. but people will find ways on how to deal with it eventually. they're putting high-end cards in mini-ITX cases these days, anyway.

Okay, who bought the last one off newegg? There was a black one when I checked last night..

That is definitely a nice looking case. Seems quite well thought out! Not sure how I feel about the removable filter on the top, but that's just an aesthetic nitpick.

Loving this case for the most part but temps will make or break it so I'll be waiting on some reviews. I'll have to stick my new kit in my old Akasa Eclipse 62 for now...

Back