SILVERSTONE TJ08E - New MicroATX Case

Couldn't stand it, bought one of these to put a P8P67-M Pro in with a 2500K.

Should be arriving tonight. I will attempt to get pictures but it might be a bit.

Sorry for bad quality photos but I changed my Kuhler 620 to 920. 920 fits much better that H80 what i have seen in pictures.

Old setup:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037848594&postcount=303

So there is it, if this help someone.

sZxUz.jpg

PtPcT.jpg

I like the way a Kuhler 920 seems to fit in there. I might upgrade to one from my CM 212+.

I think I may go for it. I got a 2500K for $180, so I need something to put it in. I was eyeballing this Gigabyte one too.

The silly thing about all the mATX Z68 motherboards is that none of them can do SLI in an actual mATX case*, except the most expensive one, the Genie.

* There's the rare exception like the Lian Li V354 that has 5 PCI brackets.

Finally mine xmas gift is done :)))

Asus Rampage III Gene
i7 920 (now without oc)
Corsair H60
Gigabyte GTX275
Corsair TX750
Kingston 3*2GB

DSCN1714.jpg

DSCN1713.jpg

DSCN1711.jpg

DSCN1712.jpg

DSCN1708.jpg

DSCN1709.jpg

DSCN1710.jpg

Does anybody know how easy/hard it'd be to stealth mod the optical bay covers? Would it press against the PSU too much?

Seriously can't decide whether to get this or the V354 instead.

QrLXdh.jpg

DlDd2h.jpg

D2H3Kh.jpg

Lots of space for H80 cooler ;)

Edit: forgot to say what hardware it is

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230
Motherboard: Asus P8B-M
RAM: 2x 4Gb Kingston ECC DDR3
GPU: Gigabyte GTX560 OC with Windforce cooler

and two WD harddrives from my old computer.. will replace one of them with an SSD as soon as I win a lot of cash.... or maybe earlier ;)

Last edited:
^ mate what mobo is that with the ram slots facing the bottom of your case ?!?!?! looks cleaner than the ones posted previously!

Hi,
I got my Antec 920 back but it still make noise maybe little louder. What is the ultimate best air cooler what will fit in this case?

Here is photo my setup now without that Antec 920.

sZxUz.jpg

I'm planning to build a TJ08-E with this:

i5-2500k + Corsair H60
Asus Gene-z
Corsair Vengeance low profile 8GB
Gainward Phantom GTX560ti 1GB
Corsair AX650

I would like to OC to 4.5ghz under the following conditions:

- Intake fan on low, maybe downvolted to 7V.
- Load temps below 70C. My ambient temps are 17-21ish.

Now the challenging part. The stock fan makes to much noise for my taste. Would a single Noiseblocker M12-PS or any other low rpm pwm fan archieve this? Or would I have lower my OC to 4ghz? Thanks.

I got my Antec 920 back but it still make noise maybe little louder. What is the ultimate best air cooler what will fit in this case? ]
The best air cooler single fan is the Thermalright Archon, but i think (not sure) that wont fit on height. On multiple fans, the two best continue to be Thermalright Silver Arrow and Noctua NH-D14, but... a big but the Galaxy GTX580 has a 5mm bp, and both coolers are wider than you standard 120mm, almost 150mm, the HR02 (that i own) almost touches the bp, check pics, both silver arrow and d14 are a little wider, so might touch, but if you dont care if touches. There is also the Prolimatech Megahelems/shadwos that were rave a lot two years ago. Also if you are willing to sacrifice some performance for bieng more quiet, check Scythe Mugen 3, its not the best cooler, but comes with a very huge range pwm fan (slipstream 300-1600rpm), on idle should be very quiet, the problem might be going with huge OC and will make the fan ramp up.

The best air cooler single fan is the Thermalright Archon, but i think (not sure) that wont fit on height. On multiple fans, the two best continue to be Thermalright Silver Arrow and Noctua NH-D14, but... a big but the Galaxy GTX580 has a 5mm bp, and both coolers are wider than you standard 120mm, almost 150mm, the HR02 (that i own) almost touches the bp, check pics, both silver arrow and d14 are a little wider, so might touch, but if you dont care if touches. There is also the Prolimatech Megahelems/shadwos that were rave a lot two years ago. Also if you are willing to sacrifice some performance for bieng more quiet, check Scythe Mugen 3, its not the best cooler, but comes with a very huge range pwm fan (slipstream 300-1600rpm), on idle should be very quiet, the problem might be going with huge OC and will make the fan ramp up.

You are right that Archon not fit. Because max weight 165mm. Silver arrow should fit fine: http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data&id=96 and Noctua too. I need check if i can change my 920 something else. Thanks.
Edit. Reseller can change my Antec to Silver Arrow. Maybe i got next week my computer at last assembled.

Last edited:
The Noctua D14 and Thermalright Silver Arrow don't fit when the harddrive cage is occupied. Besides the Thermalright Archon, the best single radiator heatsinks are the Prolimatech Megahalems and the Thermalright Venomous X. Because the latter one is smaller (63mm width vs 74mm), I would go with that one.

A picture of my TJ08 case.

Components:
i7 2600k + EK supreme LT block
Ati 5870 + EK fullcover block
Corsair HX850
2st Intel 510 120GB SSD
Pump : EK DCP 2.2
Res. : EK combo DCP 2.2
Radiator : Phobya Xtreme 200

Still some fittings i gone change and silenc the pump some more.

Temps after few hours of gaming --> GPU peak at 54c and CPU 49c.
Folding on both cpu+gpu temps --> GPU Peak at 59c and CPU 62c.
Runing the front 180mm fan at 6v och 120mm at 7v, only thing i can here from the computer is some vibrations from the pump.

1321317644.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Silver Arrow fits fine. Only that back fan is little bit high but if you press gently that cover you can fit that fine ie you get the screw into the hole.

So here some pics:

I put for safe that electric tape. Because between cooler and gpu is not a lot of space.

Maybe this post help someone. :)

305145_10150965410300565_552755564_22191283_1729754676_n.jpg

gene-z
gtx580 SOC
ax850
ripjawx 4x2gb
h80
and a shitty hd

all i can say is, that h80 just fits, just...any bigger and it wouldnt fit
it just misses the cpu cooler part and nearly touches the gtx580 lol

and the usb3 cable almost touches the gfx card :/
i could move the gfx up one slot. but ill see how the temps r first :)

thanks for ur time guys!

I've got a HX750 sitting unopened waiting for a build to come together, and now I'm leaning toward this case over the Define Mini, but I'm worried the PSU at 180mm is too long to fit (at least without buying a shorter than standard optical drive).

To the guys who have a build up and running in one of these... what kind of PSUs are you using and how much space do they leave you for cables and such before you run up against the DVD drive?

Excellent. It seems as though a lot of sata dvdrw drives these days are about 170mm long.. I might have to get a bit creative with the cable routing with ~3cm to work with, heh, but at least I know it's worth a shot.

Thanks!

Anyone having an issue with the 180mm front fan stopping on low setting? When I switch to the low setting the fan stops. Runs fine at High, but it's loud and no reason I need that much cooling.

Running on a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2.

Looks like it is most likely due to the very high startup voltage requirement of the fan, even on the low setting, of 10.8v. I guess I'll try using a 3-pin to molex connector and hooking it directly to my Seasonic X560 and avoid using the mobo connector entirely.

That was it. Connecting to the PSU with a molex connector allows me to set it to low speed. A little quieter, but definitely not silent. High speed is very loud, so no plans on switching to high any time soon. Have to do some more research to see what I can do with it to quiet the low speed setting more. This is for the family machine so no OC'ing and quiet is more of a priority as it is used quite a bit for watching TV/movies, etc.

Love the case so it's worth the effort.

Looks like it is most likely due to the very high startup voltage requirement of the fan, even on the low setting, of 10.8v. I guess I'll try using a 3-pin to molex connector and hooking it directly to my Seasonic X560 and avoid using the mobo connector entirely.

The AP181 fans's startup voltage is different when set to low or high settings. On low, it needs to start at 10.8V, but if you set it to high setting, the AP181 can start as low as 5V, which will give you about 500rpm (versus. 700rpm on default low setting). We have this info posted in the AP181 product page here:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=258&area=en#tab6

If your fan has trouble starting on low setting when connected to your motherboard, that means your motherboard has voltage based fan control built-in. I would recommend that you use high setting again with the AP181 connected to the motherboard and see if you can get the motherboard to provide down to 5V ~ 7V range before considering a separate fan controller.

As far as I know, there is no setting is the BIOS to control the SYSFAN header on GA-P55M-UD2. If anyone knows how, let me know.

Hey guys, finally got around to uploading some pics of my build.
o7GYk
hope that works, ive never uploaded pictures before.

Move up the grafic card to the upper pci-e slot and get abit more room between the GPU and CPU?

Move up the grafic card to the upper pci-e slot and get abit more room between the GPU and CPU?

Cooler and graphics card are indeed dangerously close to each other. However, I would advise against switching PCI slots. The second slot is only x8, and with a GTX580 this might actually have a slight impact on perfomance. Also it would probably reduce the airflow that the GPU gets from the AP180. Maybe put some electrical insulation between cpu cooler and graphics card? When the card touches the cpu cooler, it could create a short circuit that might fry your graphics beast...

Cooler and graphics card are indeed dangerously close to each other. However, I would advise against switching PCI slots. The second slot is only x8, and with a GTX580 this might actually have a slight impact on perfomance. Also it would probably reduce the airflow that the GPU gets from the AP180. Maybe put some electrical insulation between cpu cooler and graphics card? When the card touches the cpu cooler, it could create a short circuit that might fry your graphics beast...

Nopp, if you only use one of the PCI-e slots then it uses 16x.
If you use both slots then both run 8x.

Nopp, if you only use one of the PCI-e slots then it uses 16x.
If you use both slots then both run 8x.

Check the manual! It refers to the first slot as "PCIe 2.0 x16/8_1" and to the second as "PCIe 2.0 x8_2" and recomends: "In single VGA mode, use the PCIe 2.0 x16/8_1 for a PCI Express x16 graphics card to get better perfomance."

Last edited:
Yes i know the GPU is really really close the CPU cooler!!! it freaks me out but i did put some electrical tape on the clips that hold the fans to the cooler.

Back