Silverstone throws its hat in the ring for a Steambox style mITX case

Ordered from Amazon and they gave me a delivery date of 3/5 - 3/11. So I cancelled and went to Tigerdirect, with next day shipping I'm now looking at 2/14.

I ordered one of these from frozencpu and its out for delivery right now, can't wait!

Have you been able to put together your system yet in this case? I'd be curious to hear impressions about it.

Love love love this case. I will probably bet the ML07 when it comes out because I don't like the "raveny" look so much but its a great little case if you can work around its limitations. Please note that the massive cable clutter is because I used some Antec cables with my Silverstone SFX PSU as I'm missing one of the Silverstone cables and the one I had left for SATA wasn't long enough. I just a couple of minutes ago installed a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X triple fan cooler and it fits with no problems even being one of the bigger cards out there.

Here is a post I made on OCN about it:

Here is an assortment of pics from my adventures with this case so far. I'll be taking it back apart as soon as the rest of my parts get in so I will take better pictures (not with my potato phone) at that point.

Da box

WP_20140211_004.jpg

Size comparison to my PicoPSU L1 case...

WP_20140211_005.jpg

Some goodies :D

WP_20140212_001.jpg

The risers are black, unlike the ones I saw in reviews which were green!

WP_20140212_002.jpg

PSU bracket.. important note: put your 3.5" hard drive on top BEFORE you install it.

WP_20140212_004.jpg

Board fitted, the standoffs for the PCU bracket can and will touch the board unless you push them as far away from each other before you secure it.

WP_20140212_005.jpg

WP_20140212_008.jpg

Silverstone 25mm fans from my PS07

WP_20140212_009.jpg

I was not provided with a screw that fit the GPU bracket so I improvised

WP_20140212_012.jpg

Gap between a single slot and the 25mm fans.... I now have a dual slot card in there and it works fine with the 25mm fans as well.

WP_20140212_013.jpg

Looking good... it works

WP_20140212_014.jpg

WP_20140212_016.jpg

Now to take it all back apart and try to manage cables! This is how she sits for now until my slim drive and GPU come in, then I will take it all apart again and install an AIO cooler on the CPU.

WP_20140212_017.jpg

WP_20140212_018.jpg

Ligtasm, that looks awesome! Screw my m3a2, haha. A little bigger than it could be (which I think has been stated ad nauseam), but it's neat looking. Nice build and congrats!

Ligtasm, that looks awesome! Screw my m3a2, haha. A little bigger than it could be (which I think has been stated ad nauseam), but it's neat looking. Nice build and congrats!

I'll be honest, unless the GPU compartment was sized to have no fans and fit only reference Nvidia cards (since AMD are longer) you could make it a tad smaller, but seriously there is zero extra space in this thing the way it is. They have to keep the dimensions a little oversized to support a variety of hardware I suppose. I have no problems with the size at all, and it cools very well. I've wanted a case like this since I saw ones like the example you made, I just love the layout of it.

Looks like maybe the ML07 variant will be arriving in May-ish?

Low-end model that is based on the chassis of the "RAVEN RZV01" "Milo ML07" . Black model is around ¥ 10,000 price will be released in May. The color variations of multiple models and white black and white blue has also been studied

http://www.gdm.or.jp/crew/2014/0426/68422

(link from the 600W PSU thread)

I hope they make a 9 liter version similar to the Steambox. This case is a little too big for the build I want.

I hope they make a 9 liter version similar to the Steambox. This case is a little too big for the build I want.

I believe 9 liters is totally doable even for a build-your-own system. No doubt everything is a tight squeeze. 9.5 liters offers a little more wiggle room for cables. Depending on how the case comes apart so that you can get components in and out, you can make the slim form factor pretty dense with hardware. At least in my experience, 9 liters is as small as you would want to go with traditional ITX/SFX hardware and still accommodate a full-sized gaming GPU. 9.0-9.5 liters being the sweet spot.

Now, we need a few more options for low profile CPU cooling and maybe a slim AIO option as well. I'd actually like to see a 140mm low profile CPU cooler that can accommodate a 25mm thick 140mm fan and stay under 70mm total height.

I've posted my build.
- Silverstone SST-RVZ01 Raven Mini-ITX
- Asus Z87I PROFESSIONAL Intel Z87 (Socket 1150)
- DDR3 Mini-ITX - Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor
- Asus GeForce GTX 780Ti DirectCUII OC 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
- TeamGroup Vulcan GOLD 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz
- Kingston 240GB SSDNow V300 2.5 SATA x 2
- Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB 2.5" SATA x2
- Thermolab LP53 low profile

Sorry I'm trying to work out posting pic's

85gz.jpg

j7hdb.jpg

4954i.jpg

Last edited:
I believe 9 liters is totally doable even for a build-your-own system. No doubt everything is a tight squeeze. 9.5 liters offers a little more wiggle room for cables. Depending on how the case comes apart so that you can get components in and out, you can make the slim form factor pretty dense with hardware. At least in my experience, 9 liters is as small as you would want to go with traditional ITX/SFX hardware and still accommodate a full-sized gaming GPU. 9.0-9.5 liters being the sweet spot.

Now, we need a few more options for low profile CPU cooling and maybe a slim AIO option as well. I'd actually like to see a 140mm low profile CPU cooler that can accommodate a 25mm thick 140mm fan and stay under 70mm total height.

I want a case small enough I can put in an aluminum briefcase and mount a monitor to the inside top part so I have a fully functional gaming system I can take with me.
If only the cases you are selling was around the $100 range i would totally snag one up, but $300 is pretty steep and I don't have the budget for that.

I want a case small enough I can put in an aluminum briefcase and mount a monitor to the inside top part so I have a fully functional gaming system I can take with me.
If only the cases you are selling was around the $100 range i would totally snag one up, but $300 is pretty steep and I don't have the budget for that.
That would be a very cool mod I'd live to see! I love unique SFF.
Dios mio! $300? That Silverstone trash can looking case is much classier and cheaper
Cheaper? Of course it is. Not exactly a 1:1 comparison...

Just happened to catch this after looking daily to see if it's out yet... (posted May 6):

SilverStone USA is please to announce that we are preparing to receive and distribute our first batch of ML07 cases. They will be available soon within a few weeks!

https://www.facebook.com/SilverStoneTechnology/posts/630937386990982

As for cmadki's case, if I hadn't already decided I was going to need a slim 5.25" drive (and an HDD that I wouldn't want to velcro in), I'd have bought that two weeks ago. :D

I'd recommend the Inteset units. They have ASRock and Intel specific IR units as well as generic USB. I've used both the ASRock version and currently the generic USB. Compact. I actually removed the IR receiver from the board and soldered it to a 4" extension cable and tucked the main board back in the case.

I would love a case like this, just too bad it looks like a plastic toy (goes for both the Raven and the ML07). If someone would just produce a minimal looking aluminium case, like the Lone L2...

The Inteset generic USB one is what I have as well (unfortunately, Asrock removed the CIR header from the Z87E-ITX).

I would love a case like this, just too bad it looks like a plastic toy (goes for both the Raven and the ML07).

I don't disagree on this, but with the ML07 it's 'good enough' looking for me. I'd of course prefer an aluminum case like some of their other product lines, but seeing as I've wanted this form factor for a long time and there haven't been many options, I'll take it.

Have you looked at the SG05 or CM Elite 110? I think they are smaller footprints although have the cube or rectangular shape.

I like the ML07 and RZV01 except that it mostly limits the cooling to air. I think there are complications to using AIO if you prefer that or want the option. The fact that the current AIO coolers use stiff hoses and thick rads mean a difficult fit if you try to stuff AIO parts in these slim cases.

Just finished my build (well, really just moved my build to the new case):

i7-4770S (Noctua LH-9 cooler), GTX 780, Z87E-ITX, 16GB RAM, 256GB Plextor mSATA, 1TB Crucial 2.5".

http://imgur.com/a/FdLvz

Main thought is I really like the layout, but it's ridiculous how much of a rat's nest of cables it ends up being. I haven't done any crazy load testing yet, but at idle the CPU temp is 25C. I haven't seen it crack 40C yet, but like I said, haven't done any extended load testing.

29fw8ly.jpg

I also think I need shorter wifi antennas now (and also need to rearrange some of my other equipment). :D I did drill a small hole through the case to mount an IR receiver to. The area I drilled through is sort of double walled (plastic and then steel) so the receiver isn't as close to the opening as I might like, but it's still working really well.

Edit: Ran half an hour of simultaneous Furmark and Prime95. Maximum CPU temperature hit 62C. GPU temperature hit 85C, so I'll probably look into better fans for underneath the GPU.

Last edited:
Back