SilverStone SX700-LPT 700W SFX-L Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
SilverStone SX700-LPT 700W SFX-L Power Supply Review - SilverStone has a new take on small form factor power supplies it is calling "SFX-L." This new form factor extends the standard SFX size by 30mm allowing SilverStone to install a quieter 120mm fan than the usual higher speed and noisier 80mm and 92mm fans. How does all this work out?

What is the market for this PSU? Who's going to be buying it? Especially at that price! If you pair a 160W Xeon with a 250W Titan X on the Asrock X99/ITX mobo and add a bit for the rest, you're still well under 500W. 700W is really only just good enough for Titan X SLI, and if you're running SLI, why are you using a SFX PSU?

And I'm astonished that this premium-priced PSU doesn't come with an ATX adapter. The ordinary SFX PSUs I've purchased in the past from Seasonic and FSP have all come with adapters, granted though that was a few years ago.

What is the market for this PSU? Who's going to be buying it? Especially at that price! *snip*
And I'm astonished that this premium-priced PSU doesn't come with an ATX adapter. *snippity*

It's a VERY tiny niche, but here it is: For who need Efficiency, Low Noise, and Portability (and have disposable income). Since PSUs are most efficient at 50% load, someone who is building a high end ITX system that they'd like to be as efficient as possible (for heat and noise reasons) in a case like an ML08 or RVZ02 could aim for this if they're around the 350w load mark.

As for the ATX adapter, you've answered your own question. If you've got room for ATX, there are many better and more affordable ATX options.

As for the ATX adapter, you've answered your own question. If you've got room for ATX, there are many better and more affordable ATX options.

Actually, IME there have been instances where a case can take an ATX PSU but a SFX PSU would be a better choice. Today, look at the Cougar QBX case: it can take an ATX PSU but a SFX PSU is a far more sensible option.

Actually, IME there have been instances where a case can take an ATX PSU but a SFX PSU would be a better choice. Today, look at the Cougar QBX case: it can take an ATX PSU but a SFX PSU is a far more sensible option.
True enough, but then your other point becomes more valid because no room for SLI/CF anyway. Maybe one of those Lian-Li mATX numbers with the PSU over the CPU in a cube (PC-M25) would be where the adapter would see the best use for this model..?? Meh, the more I talk about (and try to make excuses for) this PSU, the more dumber me feels.

Side note: when I've called Silverstone, they've been super nice. If you're buying a $160 PSU, they might find it in their hearts to send you an adapter. :)

I have an early Silverstone aluminium tower case that wont take a big PSU.
It has the internal space for it but the hole in the top to insert one is too small.
It would be handy for this if I still cared to use it for my main PC.

Thanks for the follow-up. I've also cross-posted this to a TechPowerUp Forum thread that ended up on this topic. Hope that's cool, but I already did it even if it's not!

That's totally cool, thanks for bringing that up in another forum!

SilverStone has updated this product with a change to a FDB fan which you can see updated in the review.

Back